Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 and Mini Connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 AM
iconfessimageek
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear
How about podcasts? I've found that podcasts are no longer part of the Music app and, thus, will not play over my factory installed Apple integration kit. Wondering what else's broke with iOS6/iP5.

Cheers!!
Uninstall the podcast app, and they magically reappear!

Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iconfessimageek
Do all the other Mini Connected features work? Twitter, Google, etc?
As far as I can tell, all Mini Connected features work, and you no longer have to select a subset of features, they are all selectable now on the screen.

Last edited by Steve_LV; 09-23-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Can you try playing some music and also have GPS turn by turn running? Curious how that works. With my current iPHone4 setup it works great.
Yes, turn by turn directions will come through the music. We tried the new maps app with Siri giving directions, and the Motion X GPS drive app, and they both worked. They worked when playing music or podcasts, and they worked with Pandora. Web radio through MINI Connect also worked.

My wife has got a 2012 Countryman with MINI Connect and no Nav. As far as I can tell, if you hook up the lightning cord and a separate stereo audio cord, most functions still work. The function that mirrors the ipod screen to the MINI Connected screen (is it called Login in the car?) no longer works. I put a couple of movies on my phone, but the MINI couldn't find them. Movies and podcasts are now on separate apps in iOS 6, but my wife didn't have any trouble playing podcasts and audio books from her phone.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Steve_LV
Yes, turn by turn directions will come through the music. We tried the new maps app with Siri giving directions, and the Motion X GPS drive app, and they both worked. They worked when playing music or podcasts, and they worked with Pandora. Web radio through MINI Connect also worked.

My wife has got a 2012 Countryman with MINI Connect and no Nav. As far as I can tell, if you hook up the lightning cord and a separate stereo audio cord, most functions still work. The function that mirrors the ipod screen to the MINI Connected screen (is it called Login in the car?) no longer works. I put a couple of movies on my phone, but the MINI couldn't find them. Movies and podcasts are now on separate apps in iOS 6, but my wife didn't have any trouble playing podcasts and audio books from her phone.

Have you tried playing pandora thought the lighting cable and a separate audio cable?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ginvent
Have you tried playing pandora thought the lighting cable and a separate audio cable?
He said yep.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
I love that 3/4 of the posts in this thread happened before the phone was even released. I too am annoyed that the armrest cradle I spent $250 on a few months ago won't work with my new phone, but... I'd rather have the iphone 5. If the loss of mini connected is a dealbreaker- then I guess don't upgrade your phone yet.

I got mini connected so that I could have the nav and display. I actually think the mini connected APPS (mission control, driving excitement) etc are kind of gimmicky and dumb. like "oh, that's kinda neat" and then you never use it again. even though I am totally addicted to FB, I do not need it built into my car's display. Google send to car is neat- but doesn't work through the iphone anyway.

I assume a new cradle/cable will come out eventually, that has most, if not all of the functionality. I never got plugin to work with my armrest cradle, anyway. And I wouldn't use it. So I won't miss that.

My setup now- i have an ipod classic connected through the CABLE. I use this to play music. I left my old (deactivated) iphone 4 in the armrest. FB, twitter, etc of course don't work, but some of the connected features still do. Pandora doesn't.

And I have my iphone 5 connected via BT, so I can still use it for handsfree calls etc.

Really, that's all I need. Would like to be able to charge, but for now can do that with a usb charger in the lighter socket.

But bottom line is I think mini connected (and the nav) needs a major overhaul anyway- the more I use it, the more I realize how poorly designed it is. (there are parts of the nav I like, but parts (like entering and address or looking up a POI) make me miss my Garmin sorely). Hopefully we'll get a major update. Someday. but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 AM
David.Howard
1st Gear
New cable that may be interesting

I ordered one of these:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09...-for-iphone-5/

I will let you know what I see when I get it.
I also tried the new cable with my iPhone 5, and added an audio cable. The Mini Connected system kind of worked - what I saw was problematic was:
- The play lists do not work - you can see them, but when choosing they show no actual songs.
- Pandora worked as a connected app add-in
- Stitcher as a connected app did not work

I am hoping the new cable works, but may also need a software update for the Mini Connected.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by David.Howard
I ordered one of these:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09...-for-iphone-5/

I will let you know what I see when I get it.
I also tried the new cable with my iPhone 5, and added an audio cable. The Mini Connected system kind of worked - what I saw was problematic was:
- The play lists do not work - you can see them, but when choosing they show no actual songs.
- Pandora worked as a connected app add-in
- Stitcher as a connected app did not work

I am hoping the new cable works, but may also need a software update for the Mini Connected.
what do you mean you "tried the new cable"? the standard lightning cable that comes with it? or the one you linked to above? Or has MINI already released a new cable?!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by alexroet
Google send to car is neat- but doesn't work through the iphone anyway.
I use this every week and it works find. I have an iphone 4s. Make sure you have your name right on the web page when you SEND.

LOVE THIS FEATURE!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bubble and Squeak
I use this every week and it works find. I have an iphone 4s. Make sure you have your name right on the web page when you SEND.

LOVE THIS FEATURE!
but you can't send the address FROM your iphone to your car, can you? You can retrieve it in your car when your iphone is connected, but I was only able to send the address from my desktop computer. i.e. google maps in the iphone doesn't have the 'send to car' option.
Or am I just missing it? because I'd love to have it!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM
David.Howard
1st Gear
Originally Posted by alexroet
what do you mean you "tried the new cable"? the standard lightning cable that comes with it? or the one you linked to above? Or has MINI already released a new cable?!
Great question - the new Lightning cable; by using the new lightning cable and a 3.5mm earphone cable I was hoping to emulate what the Mini cable would do. It does not really do that, but it might be due to the IOS6 and Mini not being compatible with that.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Rejeme
2nd Gear
Just an observation, on the MINI supplied old y cable, the 3.5 mm headphone jack is a stereo and video/voice jack (you can tell by the three black rings on it versus the two on a standard jack. That might make a difference on what features we are seeing. Anybody using a 3.5 like that? I don't think we'll know for sure until the apple only adapters, a new y cable or a connected update comes out.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
David.Howard
1st Gear
I received the cable I mentioned above (
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09...-for-iphone-5/) it worked the same as the Lightning cable connected to the Mini USB and a second 3.5mm stereo cable. Playlists are doing the same thing.

I really think this is an IOS6 music issue. Does Music and playlists work as expected on an iPhone 4 or 4S with the mini cable and IOS 6?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
iconfessimageek
Neutral
I've been playing with the iPhone 5 and mini connected today: This is what I found:

With lightning lead and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm (4 pole) lead - everything works as advertised (almost)

With the iPhone app running performance is patchy. The app is prone to crashing, and needs a phone reboot to get going again. There are also problems with steering wheel control when the app is run.

Without the app, playlist performance is faultless with full album art, steering wheel controls etc.

Bluetooth works well - messages received while on the road can be read, but make sure the notification button is ON under the bluetooth settings for the mini on the phone (same as iOS 6 on the 4/4s)

I also needed to turn the volume up on the iPhone to get any reasonable levels.

Cradle would now be redundant except for the fact I have a company iPhone 4s that I can run the Mini Connected App.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 AM
David.Howard
1st Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
IMO all that cable is giving you is headphone audio out and USB power in. This is essentially give you line-in to the head-unit... but you are using headphone out on the phone which is not ideal. And I supect that the USB connection is for power only.

I am using an iPhone4 IOS6 and the MINI 3.5mm/USB y-cabl and everything works as expected (I have USB input, no LCD display on my dash). No issues with IOS6 with music or podcast playlists. Not sure if any of this helps with your issue - I have not read all the previous threads.

EDIT: The GottaBeMobile link you provided does mention the fact below. The fact that the Apple 30-pin adapter includes a DAC (digital to audio converter) may be relevant?
I tested, and the USB connector does more than power, which was reasonable to guess. When plugged in it plays through the External device - USB connection and when unplugged stops playing immediately. Also, I can control volume and next/prev tracks with the steering wheel; and can do the same in the Mini Connected visual display.

I suspect that it is going to take an upgrade of the Mini connected system to work with IOS6 and this cable in some way.

The strange part is that I can control two songs by one artist, that is all I ever see, and it was the artist I chose when I first hooked up the lightning connector. When I choose playlists, I see the lists, but upon selecting one of the play lists, it shows no songs. I also tried a new search, but all it shows is the same artist and songs I have access to now (the two). But I actually have 750 songs on the iPhone, which play fine through Blue tooth audio, but without the mini connected controls and play lists.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
VGNCLUB
Neutral
Using an iphone 5 and the lightning to USB cable, the mini connected app works when I first start driving but after a few minutes the mini connected app fails to work and the car doesn't read that the mini connected app is on.

Anyone else having this problem? Does this have something to do with the fact that the lightning cable changes the active "pins"?

Anyone use the lightning to 30 pin connector and if so does this work better?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
I tried the Lightning Cable + Standard Aux/Audio cable into the USB/Aux in the car and can get the Music to work via the MINI System under CD/Multimedia on my LCD MINI Connect system but can't get the "Plugin" feature to work under "MINI Connected" which I personally think gives better control over music and playlists. :(

I think we may need the actual finalized official accessory from Apple (Y Cable) or a BMW/MINI one to get this working due to the Lightning functionality.

I do get my Lightning to 30 pin connector tomorrow from Apple via mail.. so guess I will see.

EDIT: We just may be hosed.. as noted by this CNET article

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...s-in-the-dust/

Excerpt:

The fact that the Lightning port uses eight purely digital pins calls into question whether the Lightning adapter would actually work with many cars' existing iPod or even USB ports. Current Kia and Hyundai models, and older BMW models, use an adapter cable that feeds the analog audio signal from the 30-pin connector to a 1/8-inch audio input, and a USB port to feed control signals between iPhone and car. Lightning does not have the capability to send an analog signal, so Apple's adapter will not work in those vehicles.
EDIT: Sorry just catching up.. And yea I see the iPod out function via Connected menu is now dead due to the Lightning cable. Well frick :( I loved that interface! Guess I'm not selling my iPhone 4 now...

Last edited by PezRadar; 10-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
I'm sure Mini, BMW, and Hyundai, will update their cars to work with the iPhone 5. The only problem will be everyone will have to go out an buy a new 2014 model.

Bluetooth is a standard, and the BT audio profile works well with most bluetooth enabled devices like the Mini, or BMW. A lot of people don't like sending music with bluetooth, but I tell you that is better than sirrus-XM, that is sending music at the rate of 96k or lower.

I also heard that the new IOS 6, has a new bluetooth profile called MAP that will provide more functionality in the future, and all the older cars would need is a software update. See here: http://www.quora.com/iOS-6/What-is-B...pport-in-iOS-6

Although the new IOS 6 did introduce some problems with bluetooth track control from cars. See here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/20/33...ntrol-features

Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
I just borrowed a lightning to 30 pin adaptor to try with my iPhone 5, MINI 'Y' cable, & MINI Connected. It works about as well as plugging in a lighting to USB cable and a 3.5mm directly into MINI Connected. Which is to say, everything seems to work fine with the exeption of playing videos and the PlugIn (aka iPod Out) feature. My MINI won't even acknowledge the existence of video on my phone (much less attempt to play it), and the PlugIn feature says that there's no compatible PlugIn device connected. So, for now anyway, it looks like those features are dead with an iPhone 5.

Apple does claim however that a adaptor cable capable of video will be coming out "in the future". Of course, if it'll work with MINI Connected is anyone's guess. Hopefully, MINI will come out with their own custom cable soon.

It is interesting to note though that before I got my iPhone 5, I updated to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 and everything worked, including video and PlugIn. So, the feature is still in iOS. Hopefully it's just a matter of coming up with a compatible cable, and not something that's missing in iPhone 5 hardware altogether.

Last note, I drove around for about ~45 minutes, and no software crashes. Hopefully that means that the adaptor/Y cable setup is stable!

-Paul!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
FWIW: my apple lightning to 30 pin adapter arrived today. iPod out mode works fine with my MINI (no nav/connected, just the Boost stereo with iPod/USB), except it doesn't charge! The iPhone 4S worked fine. Thanks Apple :-(

EDIT: iPhone 5 does charge after all. See this follow-up post

Last edited by bratling; 11-10-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Corrected myself, added link to correction
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
FWIW: my apple lightning to 30 pin adapter arrived today. iPod out mode works fine with my MINI (no nav/connected, just the Boost stereo with iPod/USB), except it doesn't charge! The iPhone 4S worked fine. Thanks Apple :-(
I don't think we're referring to the same thing if you don't have nav or MINI Connected. 'iPod Out' refers to a function that provides video output to the nav/connected screen that replicates the look of a iPod screen. It sounds like you're referring to analog audio out. (Apple named the function in a *very* confusing fashion. That's why Apple removed the verbiage 'iPod Out' from the description of the adaptor in their store, and simply changed the description to the adaptor will not provide video out. Many read that original description and thought that the adaptor wasn't going to provide audio out!!! )

I'll have to double check that it was charging though!
(Edit: Just checked, charging is working for me)

(Oh, and my sig is wrong. I've since upgraded to a 2012 JCW with most of the toys. )

-Paul!

Last edited by Paul!; 10-15-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
I got mine the other day.

iPod out through the "MINI Connect" Plugin feature does not work still. All the other MINI Connect features seem to work including FB/Twitter.

I can still get Album Art and Album information on my standard MINI USB Connection screen via "CD/Multimedia" and then having the iPhone hooked in with the standard Y Cable and the 30 Pin Adapter. Steering wheel controls work just fine from there (including volume and skipping tracks) and it charges the phone.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 and Mini Connect