Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 and Mini Connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. MINI Connected can be easily revised with a software update (one of the key points of MINI Connected), so obviously all that would need to be done (if anything at all) is a software update to bring the car's computer up to date & integrate with the new iPhone 5.
2. All that would be needed to connect this new iPhone will be a revised MINI Connect cable. Look at your MINI Connected cable. There is a reason it can be unplugged and switched with a new cable with a new connection end. The iPhone 5 has not changed so much that all of a sudden every current offering of apple product integration in current new cars becomes antiquated.
3. Time and time again 3rd party companies come out with accessories even before Apple does. An adaptor will hardly be a big deal to produce, especially given the market it will have. But yes, you might have to wait 2 weeks until the adapter is available.
4. Relax

Last edited by Sketch; 09-14-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI connected can be revised with software, but it cannot fix functionality that Apple no longer supports coming out of the device. So, until MINI gets a hold of the device and looks at it, you can't say that it will be OK.

As I said it my first post, it is all speculation at this point.

They told a lot of people it would be fine when Apple switched to Firewire support only and many of us were told that MINI would create an adapter. It never happened.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:24 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by spiney
All of this was a large part of why I didn't bother buying MINI Connected. If Apple change something in the phone that obsoletes a $50 speaker dock on my nightstand that's annoying. If they change something that obsoletes $2000 worth of extra kit in a $25k to $35k car that's almost actionable... (By the way, the latest Android phones use a different way of accessing files via USB so getting music from the phone via USB doesn't work any more, so it's not just Apple that change stuff with little or no good reason.)

I decided to keep it simple. I have my Android phone next to the speedo on a ProClip, getting power from a charger in the lighter socket and plugged into Aux, Bluetoothed to the car for phone, and have all I need.

smart man...in ten years 2012 MINI'S will be on the street, and thei IPHONE 8 will be in use, and folks will STILL need an outdated phone in the car....or pay $500 or so for reprogramming the car and buying cables to get some use...maybe.....if it is avalable.
Anybody that has seen a gen1 gps, working or failed knows the pearls of mixing slow to change car stuff and rapidly changine electronics.......
fine for 2 years, then it gets sketchy....

Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 AM
RedMiniBirmingham
3rd Gear
Very concerned about this. BMW / Mini should be working OVERTIME to come up with a new cable that works.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RedMiniBirmingham
Very concerned about this. BMW / Mini should be working OVERTIME to come up with a new cable that works.
They can only work within hardware limitations and they are not going to jump through hoops for it as they have already proven that in the past. I suspect that a cable will eventually become available but if the hardware has lost some of the abilities, then there is nothing MINI can do.

Solution? Don't get the iPhone 5.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 AM
iconfessimageek
Neutral
Originally Posted by daflake
They can only work within hardware limitations and they are not going to jump through hoops for it as they have already proven that in the past. I suspect that a cable will eventually become available but if the hardware has lost some of the abilities, then there is nothing MINI can do.

I agree. Its Apple thats going to lose out.

i have bought every single iPhone on day of launch - EXCEPT for this one. Changing the connector is one step too far. In addition to the phone price, I will be shelling out over $200 for a new cradle (if/when they make one)

Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Lol...i think most iPHone folks would rather get a new car than NOT have the latest and greatest apple product...apple MAKES you get all new Iphone gadgets every upgrade cycle or two.....and YOU CAR IS JUST A GLORIFIED DOCK!! LOL.just kidding, but see my point, i hope...not trying to get ww3 starting here, just trying to get folks thinking about specking out a multi thousand $$$$ option that relies on intergration from ONE manfacture AND ONE SPECFIC product with a 2 year lifespen in a car that may last 15+ years.....
I know there is lots of neak stuff, but lack of a second phone support, aka android makes all of you hostage to both mini+apple.....with android support, i'm SURE a few folks would tweak the apps and make it works with any os update in a few days....
The fewtures od connect are awsome, but why make it so ONE phone centric....
remember just a few years ago when PALM and BLACKBERRY were domint...
i do not have a crystal ball, but supporting more than one devise make sense to me...

Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 AM
daflake
6th Gear
^^ Yup! Tis the reason that I will no longer spec a nav or ipod anything in a car going forward. Aux and bluetooth maybe, but that is about it.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Miker2k
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iconfessimageek
I agree. Its Apple thats going to lose out.

i have bought every single iPhone on day of launch - EXCEPT for this one. Changing the connector is one step too far. In addition to the phone price, I will be shelling out over $200 for a new cradle (if/when they make one)
To be fair other than the charging change on the 30 pin connector this is the first time they've changed the physical connection in 10 years. My iPod photo still hooks in, charges, and plays music.

It is a bummer that they changed, but from technical capabilities standpoint it makes sense. I pre-ordered one for my wife like a good Apple fanboy and I'm sure that it will end up just fine.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 AM
quirkyesther
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bubble and Squeak
I know that the iOS does. I have had it for a few weeks (app developer) and it works with Mini Connect (well beta 3 does, not sure about the final, have not had time to update).

I think yes the iPhone 5 will work fine, BMW and Apple love each other, they have done the most for apple in the whole phone/car working together. What pisses me off is I have the media adapter and that is no longer going to fit. Damn you apple and your upgraded connecter!!!!!
Any idea how google maps plays into all of this? From what I gather, iOS 6 will have its own map app and google hasn't said much about creating a stand alone app. So will the "send to car function" still work on the new iphone with iOS 6?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Eriamjh
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sketch
2. All that would be needed to connect this new iPhone will be a revised MINI Connect cable. Look at your MINI Connected cable. There is a reason it can be unplugged and switched with a new cable with a new connection end. The iPhone 5 has not changed so much that all of a sudden every current offering of apple product integration in current new cars becomes antiquated.
Your assumptions that a new cable is all that is needed are possibly incorrect. The MINI uses a specific communication protocol to talk to the iPhone. That protocol has changed with the iPhone5 in addition to the connector. It's not just pins that changed, but the type of connections that use them. The Lightning to 30-pin adapter is $30 because it's from Apple and it's got electronics inside, most likely custom electronics.

Apple says the new Lightning connector is all digital AND it is adaptable. Apple loves dropping support for features. If "Ipod OUT" doesn't come out of the Lightning connector in some digital form, no adapter will make it work.

3. Time and time again 3rd party companies come out with accessories even before Apple does. An adaptor will hardly be a big deal to produce, especially given the market it will have. But yes, you might have to wait 2 weeks until the adapter is available.
4. Relax
I hope you are right (about one coming for our MINIs). Since I'm waiting 3 weeks for my phone, I hope someone here with a 2011 or newer MINI and an iPhone5 can determine how to make their iPhone work. I can always drop to using plain ol' AUX IN, but then I love my track control and track name display.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Apple says the new Lightning connector is all digital AND it is adaptable. Apple loves dropping support for features. If "Ipod OUT" doesn't come out of the Lightning connector in some digital form, no adapter will make it work.
Lightning is all digital, but Apple has confirmed that the Lightning adapter has a DAC to provide analog output. It's not 'just a cable'. I would expect that everything should work except for what they've stated, which is video and 'iPod Out' which is a video-based iPod interface (analog video). Anything that isn't using analog video should still work.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Only concern we should have is if connected accepts digital video. Everything else will work. Heck half of the connected features work with a basic white cable, just not audio.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 PM
VGNCLUB
Neutral
Does anyone have a guess whether the Pandora app functionality will work with iPhone 5 connector?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
qrysdonnell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by VGNCLUB
Does anyone have a guess whether the Pandora app functionality will work with iPhone 5 connector?
I can guess that it will. From looking at videos of it in operation it doesn't look like it's generating video on the phone and displaying it on the screen which is what 'iPod Out' does (this is the Plug-in menu). I can see in videos the the plugin menu doesn't look terribly crisp (it looks kinda like analog video... which it is!) and the Pandora app looks 'normal'.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
I know this is anecdotal at best, but just plugged in the standard white cable again and pandora worked fine on the screen, just no audio since that is analog.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
My hope is that this has already been thought of. Apple and BMW have a great relationship. Apple is the chosen phone for BMW owners, just look at the level of support and integration they have. I suspect that the real answers are coming soon. BMW is being asked all over the world as to what to do.

I am almost 100% sure that a prototype or tech specs have been given to BMW 6 months ago, they did not learn about it this week like the rest of us.

That said, I think I am holding off on the 5 until BMW get it supported right. I am pissed because I own the media dock, so another $250 if I want the new one. More than I would
Ay for the phone.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Yep, this was discussed in the other thread that is going on. IPod out is gone and that is what is used by MINI, so some functionality will not work.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
This is what I received from my MA this morning...
"I have been told that you will need to get a little adapter for the iPhone 5 to plug in that is all we know now."

I replied that I hope the adapter will be included with my new car when I get it. How infuriating to order a new 2013 car only to find out I have to buy additional equipment to make it work? My deposit is refundable, though I REALLY want this car. I dream about her a night.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Luckyelfie
This is what I received from my MA this morning...
"I have been told that you will need to get a little adapter for the iPhone 5 to plug in that is all we know now."

I replied that I hope the adapter will be included with my new car when I get it. How infuriating to order a new 2013 car only to find out I have to buy additional equipment to make it work? My deposit is refundable, though I REALLY want this car. I dream about her a night.

If you are that caught up in having a new phone, then maybe you should cancel your order and get one without MINI connected. The adapter is not going to solve any problems as the hardware has changed.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Ken Gano
1st Gear
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
If you are that caught up in having a new phone, then maybe you should cancel your order and get one without MINI connected. The adapter is not going to solve any problems as the hardware has changed.
Not caught up in getting a new phone at all. Just got a new one earlier this year. It's just a matter that it's hard to swallow getting a brand new car that is not compatible with the current phone on the market. If my phone breaks/lost/stolen I'm stuck with limited options. Unfortunately it appears that it is too late to cancel my order. Fortunately my deposit is refundable, so push come to shove I pass on the car.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Luckyelfie
Not caught up in getting a new phone at all. Just got a new one earlier this year. It's just a matter that it's hard to swallow getting a brand new car that is not compatible with the current phone on the market. If my phone breaks/lost/stolen I'm stuck with limited options. Unfortunately it appears that it is too late to cancel my order. Fortunately my deposit is refundable, so push come to shove I pass on the car.
It is never a good idea to buy such an expensive item that is locked to a single piece of technology. What if Apple decided to change it again next phone and break the entire thing? Bluetooth is a solid foundation that is supported by many vendors. That is the way to go for now in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio iPhone 5 and Mini Connect