Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Pin 1 on X15 connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:00 AM
sanduneboi
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pin 1 on X15 connector

Installed a pioneer amp and shallow mount sub in my 07 r56. Being the lazy person that I am instead of researching where to wire things I just used the instructions for integral audio's 1101s system. The instructions had me connect the remote turn on wire for the amp to pin 1 on the X15 connector. Everything works perfectly, interestingly though the AMP powers up as soon as the doors are unlocked or the truck is opened as to opposed to when the audio system is powered on and the amp will remain on after the car has been shut down for a brief period of time. So I was curious if anyone knew what pin 1 of the X15 is...

Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not know what it is, but that is normal operation. There are a lot of electronics that stay on in the car before and after the car is turned off.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
X15 Pin 1 is Radio On. but this is normal operation as the OEM head unit and amp need to turn on at opening to produce warning/gong sounds etc.

They will also stay on for approximately 15 minutes after the car is exited even though the radio/cd/aux is off.

They will also stay on and allow for bluetooth calling for up to 60 minutes if a call is in progress.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
X15 Pin 1 is Radio On. but this is normal operation as the OEM head unit and amp need to turn on at opening to produce warning/gong sounds etc.
Where is there a diagram for these cars? I keep seeing people referencing wires like they know what they are talking about and I keep seeing other people asking for the pin outs but no one seems to want to share the complete diagram. Are they posted anywhere?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We have this thing called search here and it is required to be used. Everything i will tell you here has been repeated many many time. But by using search you can find links to the diagrams. As they are not from officially sanctioned BMW/MINI sites they may not be fully correct or updated regularly, i.e. they may be out of date for you car.

The best bet is to look for them on ebay and get the latest versions. Just search for MINI WDS (wiring diagram service). Beware of what you are ordering though as normally these are in the range of 2-3 years behind. Even the ones that state they are the latest at 2012 are usually only 2010 diagrams. BMW/MINI are not good at up keep on this stuff.

If you search form MINI ETK on ebay you can get all kinds of great info about the mini in a 7 DVD set.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
We have this thing called search here and it is required to be used.
I appreciate the useful suggestions, but stuff the condescending attitude ma$$h0le. I did search. Do you have any idea how many posts came up?
I finally got smarter and searched for thread titles only and found the thread I needed.
We have many different vehicles in my family so I belong to multiple car forums. This is the only one so far that doesn't have a sticky with pinouts where anyone can find it easily. Maybe I'll wade through that thread and see if I can't condense it down to sticky-able form and get it locked so only new pinouts can be added and it doesn't get cluttered with commentary.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone to follow NAM Guidelines; specifically:

RESPECT
When posting, both members and vendors must ALWAYS be respectful of fellow members and vendors. Personal attacks, trolling/baiting, deliberate antagonizing, and flaming will not be tolerated. If you feel you are being attacked, report the post or private message rather than replying or flaming back. However, do not use the report bad post feature to "cry wolf" when you are in fact the instigator of the demise of a discussion. Doing so will result in an infraction or strike.
NAM Guidelines can be found here.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 AM
jcwzap
Banned
well said mid life.........

Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 AM
jcwzap
Banned
amp turn on

Originally Posted by sanduneboi
Installed a pioneer amp and shallow mount sub in my 07 r56. Being the lazy person that I am instead of researching where to wire things I just used the instructions for integral audio's 1101s system. The instructions had me connect the remote turn on wire for the amp to pin 1 on the X15 connector. Everything works perfectly, interestingly though the AMP powers up as soon as the doors are unlocked or the truck is opened as to opposed to when the audio system is powered on and the amp will remain on after the car has been shut down for a brief period of time. So I was curious if anyone knew what pin 1 of the X15 is...

Old 01-30-2013, 03:41 AM
jcwzap
Banned
[SIZE=2]The X15 connector is the larger connector that was attached to the top of the X9331. Strip one end of the 18AWG White Turn-on Lead wire. Use the remaining Posi-tap connector to attach the turn-on wire to the solid black wire at pin 1 of the X15 connector.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Make sure you are on The Pin one wire. I posted rhat photo. I believe i was o. The wrong wire and used the red positap on rhe Real pin one wire in my R57. That was why my amp was not turning on. I traced the pos 1 wire from the connector. It will be a corner wire on the loom.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 AM
DBLORD7
Neutral
Remote turn on wire

Hey if your looking for a source to turn on the amp u can grab the green wire in front of the fuse box in the passengers kick this wire is a ignition,acessory its probably your best bet suggest fusing it with a 1-3 amp fuse anything higher will require a relay

Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 AM
mikeythemars
1st Gear
FYI, the black pin one wire on X15 is not a conventional "remote amp turn on" circuit. It's the RAD_ON line, which powers up the factory audio system.

Since the audio system also supports warning chimes and bluetooth, RAD_ON does not turn off like a conventional remote amp turn on, where the turn on signal gets shut off when you turn off the head unit.

Instead, even after you turn off your factory audio, RAD_ON stays on, because it is on a delayed off timer. That is so it can continue to send voltage as long as there is activity in the vehicle, including doors and trunks opening and closing. In my 2013 R57, RAD-On does not turn off until there is a full seven minutes of no vehicle activity.

So keep that in mind when you use that x15 pin 1 black wire as a remote amp turn on line. Whatever amp you connect it to is going to stay on for seven minutes after you park and leave your vehicle.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM
mikeythemars
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Derepente
Make sure you are on The Pin one wire. I posted rhat photo. I believe i was o. The wrong wire and used the red positap on rhe Real pin one wire in my R57. That was why my amp was not turning on. I traced the pos 1 wire from the connector. It will be a corner wire on the loom.
FYI, in my 2013 R57, the x15 pin one black wire was much narrower than the one shown in the photo, used a red posi-tap to connect to it. If I had to guess, it was around 20-22 gauge.

Last edited by mikeythemars; 07-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.