Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Hi-FI Sound System By Alpine

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:48 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
MINI Hi-FI Sound System By Alpine

Today while at the dealer I was given the first copy out of the just received box a copy of "The MINI International Vol 32" (magazine)

In the Magazine was and add titled "The New MINI Hi-Fi System Alpine". It said to look at the add info page in the back of the magazine or Go to www.mini.com/accessories.

So from the back of the magazine:

Sounds great: the MINI Hi-Fi system by Alpine.
All the parts of the new Alpine hi-fi system were specially designed for teh MINI. The 3-way system consists of a class-D amplifier with a 2 x 100W output. Specially designed bass, mid-range and treble speakers have an aluminum speakers have an aluminum membrane for clear, transparent and detailed sound. What's more, the MINI Hi-Fi system is compatible with all iPod models.

Here is a link to the mini accessories page. But you will have to select the Music & Electronics Section in 3rd drop down list box on the left side and then select page 2 of the listing to get to the Alpine Hi-Fi System.

http://www.mini.com/com/en/car_accessories/index.jsp?content=http://accessories.mini.com/internet_relaunch/COM/en/indexNoFrameset.jsp

From the reading it sounds as if it might be a plug and play system for speakers, and amp.

I have not been able to get a part number for the upgrade but will be inquiring more tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Very interesting. It's on RealOEM, but listed only for Europe:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=65&fg=95

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
The 3-way system consists of a class-D amplifier with a 2 x 100W output. Specially designed bass, mid-range and treble speakers have an aluminum speakers have an aluminum membrane for clear, transparent and detailed sound.
So, no rear speakers, unless that it 6x9 woofers in the back, midrange in the doors, and tweeters in the A-pillars. Knowing MINI, it would be woofers in the door, midrange in the back and tweeters in the A-pillars.

Or, was it supposed to be 4 x 100W?

Probably be too bright for my ears with alumium tweeters. I hope that wasn't really supposed to be aluminum membrane for the speakers.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this could be a god sent. maybe someone listened to those of us asking for them to right the crap they sold us as "hi-fi"

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is plug and play I am a done deal. After reading all 6324 post on audio upgrades I would be thrilled to buy a quick, easy fix direct from Mini. Let us pray.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 PM
paul_voorn
2nd Gear
Per the realoem website:-

For vehicles with
TV function = No
and
Preparation BMW satellite radio = No
and
Satellite tuner = No
and
MINI HiFi speaker system = No

I take it that means we can't use it to upgrade a HIFI system?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
...Probably be too bright for my ears with alumium tweeters. I hope that wasn't really supposed to be aluminum membrane for the speakers.
Never understand the "too bright" argument about metal (aluminum, titanium or diamond tweeters). What are cymbals, piano strings, bells, xylophones, and steel guitar strings made of, plastic? Also have you ever heard any of these instruments live, up close and unamped? Because guess what they ARE bright.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
Never understand the "too bright" argument about metal (aluminum, titanium or diamond tweeters). What are cymbals, piano strings, bells, xylophones, and steel guitar strings made of, plastic?
Cymbals, piano strings, bells, xylophones, and steel guitar strings are not tweeters. They are cymbals, piano strings, bells, xylophones, and steel guitar strings.

Also have you ever heard any of these instruments live, up close and unamped? Because guess what they ARE bright.
Yes. They are normal bright, not too bright. When you turn a woman's voice into a cymbaal, that's too bright.

I had Infinity Kappa speakers. They sounded too bright for my taste. Recommendations were to go with speakers that had silk tweeters. So, I went with Image Dynamic speakers and an Image Dynamic amp. Sounds much better to me. However, I can't say that it was the tweeters that made the difference. It was just that numerous people recommended staying away from metal tweeters if one doesn't like bright audio.

It may have been that the HIFI amp was the real culprit, although numerous reviews (including positive reviews) characterize the Infinity Kappas as bright.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
Be very careful buying any kind of MINI upgrade for the sound system. I bought one of their upgrades the DPSM for the 1st gen MINI. My MINI spent over 4 months in the shop in less than 3 years of ownership. Because that $2200-2300 upgrade shorted out almost constantly even when turned off. IMO you are far better off going to a competent stereo shop.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Morristown Mini has no information on the system. Any suggestions?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:09 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
the MINI Hi-Fi system by Alpine is offered in Europe as an upgrade for the Base Stereo on the Gen 2 Minis. What is interesting is that the install instructions indicate 1.5 hours labor (routing wire harness, replacing door speakers, adding A-pillar speakers and mounting the amplifier). That seems pretty quick.

http://www.mini2.info/forum/showthread.php?t=42458

see post #8

Last edited by howie289; 11-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Very nice. Plug and play, factory warranty. Now....how the heck do I get the parts? Are we betting they will show up in dealers next year or is this going to become a duck hunt?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howie289

see post #8
be great if i could read/understand german.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
be great if i could read/understand german.
Use Google Language Tools: http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by redduc
Very nice. Plug and play, factory warranty. Now....how the heck do I get the parts? Are we betting they will show up in dealers next year or is this going to become a duck hunt?
You can order it from Europe. My gut feeling is that MINIUSA won't import it (not enough sales), and they won't handle the warranty unless they do.

The reaction on the German thread is mixed, and the consensus seems to be that the new HK system is superior. Some of the comments (Google translation):
I can install my Alpine system and must say: I am somewhat disappointed by the sound and the bass. Sure, it's better than the mini system, but I am not satisfied. Have now seen in the installation instructions that the amp is installed under the passenger seat. Can you make any further settings there?
So now since yesterday, finally got in there too, the Alpine system. For the money the sound is absolutely top, relatively clear treble and the bass is really accurate, at worlds and crisp than the factory hi. Unfortunately, start at high volume to rattle the door panels, the speakers, but by keeping loose. The sound is unfortunately still a good bit worse than in our BMWs with HiFi Professional, I hope when my lease expires in 2012, gibts was similar from the factory, the Harman Kardon indeed seems to be quite good.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:48 AM
redduc
3rd Gear
Good info, thanks. If you follow ECS tunings ordering system it allows you to place an order for the part we need. I will call them Monday to see if they can actually get them. The next issue is deciding what I really want. I am sure that the alpine system isn't as good as a quality aftermarket, but I don't really know that I want someone taking apart my new interior. My mini has ZERO rattles and I am not anxious to create some.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:37 AM
miniSQ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
Never understand the "too bright" argument about metal (aluminum, titanium or diamond tweeters). What are cymbals, piano strings, bells, xylophones, and steel guitar strings made of, plastic? Also have you ever heard any of these instruments live, up close and unamped? Because guess what they ARE bright.
i agree ..a better way to argue the point would be to say that "some" metal tweeters sound to bright in "some" systems. Just like "some" fabric" tweeters sound too soft in "some" systems.

Metal is GREAT when done installed and amplified properly....

Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by redduc
If you follow ECS tunings ordering system it allows you to place an order for the part we need.
Hmmm... it's also listed on Pelican Parts and bmw-auto-parts-dealer. It might have been added to the US catalog and RealOEM is out of date.

I Googled the part number (65412153318) and it is on Netherlands eBay (current bid at 206 Euros, list price 399 Euros): http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_812wt_1166

Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 AM
redduc
3rd Gear
I suspect we need to buy the pillar replacements as well. I think I am going to try this. If I later add an urbanmini sub box and amp that should give me the sound I am looking for without stepping too far out of the factory box.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Why the Alpine system? Why not try to upgrade to the H/K system?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Why the Alpine system? Why not try to upgrade to the H/K system?
This appears to be designed as a field upgrade, whereas the H/K system doesn't.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ran-o-matic
This appears to be designed as a field upgrade, whereas the H/K system doesn't.
From the standard, or HIFI? Since the HIFI and H/K are both 10 speakers systems, seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to go from HIFI to H/K. Wiring harnesses might be the same.

If the Alpine is designed to be an upgrade from standard audio, I could see how that would be an easier route.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
From the standard, or HIFI? Since the HIFI and H/K are both 10 speakers systems, seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to go from HIFI to H/K. Wiring harnesses might be the same.

If the Alpine is designed to be an upgrade from standard audio, I could see how that would be an easier route.
You are right. I should have been more clear - The Alpine is designed to be an upgrade from the base euro audio.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:05 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
The base euro system and the base US system should be the same, no?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MINI Hi-FI Sound System By Alpine