Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Hi-FI Sound System By Alpine

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
gdclnfn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updates?

Hi redduc,

Any updates or are you still trying to hold out until June to get it installed? I am very interested in this upgrade. My dealer just quoted me $741.39 for the kit. Waiting to hear some real life experiences before I take the plunge.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
I'm just going to wait. Getting around the daft blowmeter device is more trouble than it's worth.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gdclnfn
Hi redduc,

Any updates or are you still trying to hold out until June to get it installed? I am very interested in this upgrade. My dealer just quoted me $741.39 for the kit. Waiting to hear some real life experiences before I take the plunge.
Hi gdclnfn,

I saw your note about getting this system from your dealer and was curious as to whether or not you are referring to a MINI dealer. I called my MINI dealer here in Columbus, OH and they told me they could not get it or offer any other speaker upgrades. Anyway, I then posed the question to the service dept. that if I purchased the alpine upgrade myself, could they install it. This was a week ago and I am still awaiting their response. I am interested to hear if your experience has been the same. I would hope there would be some consistency between dealers...

Thanks,
Chad

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 PM
ekohfarm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chadp
Hi gdclnfn,

I saw your note about getting this system from your dealer and was curious as to whether or not you are referring to a MINI dealer. I called my MINI dealer here in Columbus, OH and they told me they could not get it or offer any other speaker upgrades. Anyway, I then posed the question to the service dept. that if I purchased the alpine upgrade myself, could they install it. This was a week ago and I am still awaiting their response. I am interested to hear if your experience has been the same. I would hope there would be some consistency between dealers...

Thanks,
Chad
My dealer (Princeton MINI) said they would install it, but I cannot order it through them. They also said that they could not guarantee it, so if it messed up the radio they'd have to uninstall it and charge me to put things back to stock. They obviously don't know too much about the kit . . . I too am awaiting some feedb ack before I take the plunge.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
gdclnfn
1st Gear
My dealer (Global Imports MINI in Atlanta) just looked up the part and stated the list price is $741.39 and they could order it and install it although they have not installed this kit to date. The parts gentlemen was very intrigued that there was such an upgrade kit. It does not come with the a-pillars (which list at $117.12 EACH for the R57) so those would have to ordered as well for the Alpine tweeters. For this list price I think I will look aftermarket because I would be pushing $1K before installation and I KNOW I can get a much better system (Alpine PDX-5 / Focal 165VR) with a sub from urbanmini for about the same price. Granted, it won't be plug & play.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gdclnfn
My dealer (Global Imports MINI in Atlanta) just looked up the part and stated the list price is $741.39 and they could order it and install it although they have not installed this kit to date. The parts gentlemen was very intrigued that there was such an upgrade kit. It does not come with the a-pillars (which list at $117.12 EACH for the R57) so those would have to ordered as well for the Alpine tweeters. For this list price I think I will look aftermarket because I would be pushing $1K before installation and I KNOW I can get a much better system (Alpine PDX-5 / Focal 165VR) with a sub from urbanmini for about the same price. Granted, it won't be plug & play.
Thanks for the info.gdclfn!
Global is where I ordered my first MINI in 2001 (unfortuantely finanical issues never allowed me to actually buy it ). They were a great group from what I can remember! My dealer just called me moments ago and informed me that though they know nothing about it besides the information I sent them, they would certainly install it. The service Rep. seems to think that the system would be a great upgrade and thinks that it may run +/- $1000 once all is said and done. I agree it is a bit high but I love that MINI has already done the homework and that no programming is necessary. The service rep is going to check in on actually getting the parts for me as well and I will be curious to see if the costs are the same as you were quoted.
Hhhhmmm, what to do... I will keep the post updated as to where this goes.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by redduc
I'm just going to wait. Getting around the daft blowmeter device is more trouble than it's worth.
Hi Redduc,

I am rather new to this thread but like you, the alpine upgrade is exactly what I am looking for (I think). I have made all arrangements for the install by my local dealer but am trying to get one more question answered before I place the order. I am trying to determine what happens with the rear speakers when this upgrade is installed. Do they remain functional and if so, do they get amplified? The diagrams do not seem to mention connecting the rear speakers to any of the new cables so my guess is that they are bypassed at the x9331 plug. Any insight? I believe you were not able to install yet but thought you may be able to answer my question. I have reached out to my local dealer who would not know until he has the kit in hand and also to MINI UK but have received no response yet. Thought you may have asked the same question at one point and may have an answer. I just don't want those rear speakers hanging out unutilized....

Thanks,
Chad

Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
chinarider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the same ad, and it prompted me to check with one of my local dealers, and do a search on this forum too.

When I called them yesterday, they had never heard of it. They kindly looked it up, though, and called me back to say that they had looked up my car's specs based on my phone number, and because their records showed that my car has satellite radio, the upgrade wouldn't be compatible with the wiring harness.

Now, the kicker is that my car actually does NOT have satellite radio....hmmmmmmm.....

I'm still in the process of clearing this up.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
ekohfarm
1st Gear
My understanding is that the rear speaker do not get amplified - the Alpine upgrade kit is a two channel amp based on what I have read. Don't know if the rear speakers still work as unamplified, "filler" speakers though.

After spending months reading these forums and learning about the nutty complexity that makes up our MINI's audio system, I really wanted the simplicity of the "plug & play" concept - but it's hard to pull the trigger on the kit based solely on that. It seems very expensive for what it is. I have looked on many different MINI forums looking for feedback on the sound of this kit, and there are not a lot of folks who have commented on it. Looks like we are all waiting for redduc's opinion on this .

www.newministuff.com has a new, simplified plug and play loom that plugs into the x9331 connector, so it's almost as plug and play as the Alpine kit (you still have to run a power and ground wire for the amp you choose - I have not seen an aftermarket amp that can plug it into the fuse box for power like the Alpine), and you have to change the connectors at the speaker (from the instructions it looks like the Alpine speakers use the same connectors as the stock speakers so you don't have to cut off the stock ones and replace them with more standard ones that fit aftermarket speakers) - but that seems to be it.

So it seems to me that if you are willing to run a power and ground wire and change the speaker connectors, you can can have plug and play and choose the amp, front and rear speakers, and subwoofer you like best, and you can probably get all that for the price of the Alpine kit, which doesn't address rear speakers or subwoofers (it is unclear if there is even a pre-amp out on the Alpine amp to connect a subwoofer amp to . . .)

Anyone think I am missing something here? Maybe warranty? But my dealer said that since it was not a part available in the US, it wouldn't be under warranty even though they would do the installation work.

So right now, I am leaning towards putting together my own components and passing on the Alpine upgrade kit - but there are still many weeks until the warmer weather get here, so I won't be doing anything soon, so if someone has some information to change my mind, I'd be happy to hear what you have to say . . .

Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Still here, still waiting, still a little pissed. I can tell you the speakers don't make the closet they are stored in sound any better.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
chadp
1st Gear
Sooo, noone is still clear on whether or not the rear speakers still work. I am ok with them being fill speakers but I would hope that they would not just get unplugged and unutilized. That would annoy me... I did read on some BMW forums that the rear speakers were used just not incoroporated within the amplified alpine upgrade. I would think this would be the same.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM
chadp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by redduc
Still here, still waiting, still a little pissed. I can tell you the speakers don't make the closet they are stored in sound any better.

Sorry Redduc...

Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Thanks. I think the rear speakers will still work. I can't imagine a factory upgrade that would cancel out speakers already in place.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
There is a circuit diagram in the installation instructions. The amplifier gets its input and sends its output through a Y adapter at the X9331 connector, but only for the front speakers. The rear speaker signals are simply passed through X9331 and would continue to be driven by the stock headunit as usual.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
There is a circuit diagram in the installation instructions. The amplifier gets its input and sends its output through a Y adapter at the X9331 connector, but only for the front speakers. The rear speaker signals are simply passed through X9331 and would continue to be driven by the stock headunit as usual.

Thanks for the link rkw - This is extremely helpful!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Thanks for the link rkw - This is extremely helpful!!!
Are you going to do it?

Thanks everyone for your input! This is a great site!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Are you going to do it?

Thanks everyone for your input! This is a great site!
I am just checking into this. I have the Hifi but it is amazing how muddy the sound can be at times. It is fairly decent on CD but the radio can be just down right awlful.

I am a little nervous about the upgrade kit as I don't know that I trust the upgrade to sound OK. I trusted BMW/MINI on the Hifi option and that was a joke .

The minigenuineparts link in this thread specifically stated "not compatible with Hifi sound system". Right now I am probably leaning toward keeping the stock head unit and adding my own amp and speakers. Still have alot of research to do....

Thanks to all for the informative posts....

Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
I am just checking into this. I have the Hifi but it is amazing how muddy the sound can be at times. It is fairly decent on CD but the radio can be just down right awlful.

I am a little nervous about the upgrade kit as I don't know that I trust the upgrade to sound OK. I trusted BMW/MINI on the Hifi option and that was a joke .

The minigenuineparts link in this thread specifically stated "not compatible with Hifi sound system". Right now I am probably leaning toward keeping the stock head unit and adding my own amp and speakers. Still have alot of research to do....

Thanks to all for the informative posts....
Gotcha. I does state not for hi-fi so you would probably be better off upgrading on your own. I settled with stock because I did not see enough advantage in it to order a car when everything else I wanted was on the one in the showroom. Well, that was then and now I am beside myself with the horrible stock system. Hate to spend a grand but this upgrade HAS to be better than what I have now. I am still beyond bitter that the SA did not disclose the HK coming in 2010. I definitely would have waited a month for that!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Gotcha. I does state not for hi-fi so you would probably be better off upgrading on your own. I settled with stock because I did not see enough advantage in it to order a car when everything else I wanted was on the one in the showroom. Well, that was then and now I am beside myself with the horrible stock system. Hate to spend a grand but this upgrade HAS to be better than what I have now. I am still beyond bitter that the SA did not disclose the HK coming in 2010. I definitely would have waited a month for that!
Actually, I think you are ahead of the game with a stock system and upgrading it yourself either via the Alpine upgrade kit or doing it on your own. I paid the $500 for the Hifi but it really is average at best. Everyone that I know that has the Hifi has rattling rear speakers.

There has got to be a great back room story as to how MINI had great H/K Hifi on the first gens and then we had the crap era that was finally corrected in 2010 by returning to H/K.

It is irritating but fixable. I love the car otherwise.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 AM
redduc
3rd Gear
I get the impression that the hifi amp and the alpine amp are pretty similar. The only benefit a hifi owner would get is better speakers and would not be worth the $$$$.

I fondly remember pulling the trim out of my 84 GTI, wiring a four channel amp and installing a soundstream tape deck in about two hours.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 AM
chadp
1st Gear
The order has been placed! Installation set for the 10th.

Stay tuned...

Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
The order has been placed! Installation set for the 10th.

Stay tuned...
Good luck! We'll be watching for updates.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
gdclnfn
1st Gear
chadp - How did the installation go? Any news?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
redduc
3rd Gear
Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
chadp
1st Gear
Soooo, yeah, nothing is easy when it comes to MINI apparently. I contacted the dealer, placed the order, set up the install, took the car in and about 5 hours later received a call telling me "there is a problem". I called them back and apparently there was a bit of a "reorganization" within the service department and the Service Advisor I had worked with and placed the order with was no longer in that position. The replacement SA assumed all was in order however the upgrade kit was not on hand when they went to install it. The new SA told me that though she could access the item, she was not able to actually order it. Because it is a Euro issue only, the US dealers do not have direct access to it. She said there are only 19 available for the US..... Hhhhmmm, what's up with that and who is getting them? Anyway, she worked her rear end off around the powers that be to find a way to order but was not successful. Her parts counterparts never returned her calls and after much great effort told me that I will probably have better luck ordering myself. They will gladly install it but cannot get it. Quite strange that I can get on line and order in minutes but the dealer cannot. So, I finally just placed the order with ECS and MINI genuine parts for all of the pieces. It is actually saving me some cash but geesh, what a process! The parts should be in this coming week and I will schedule the install for the following week.

This better be good!!!

I will be sure to update the thread when all is said and done.

Again, stay tuned!

Redduc, when are you able to install?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio MINI Hi-FI Sound System By Alpine