Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio weird radio behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Fire Capt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird radio behavior

I have a 2010 Clubman S and the HK radio started switching from Ipod to FM or Sirius to FM and every time the display says "Alarm" it takes about 1 minute of driving for this to happen and it I switch it back to either Ipod of Sat it does the same thing..

Any Ideas?? I tried to search it but I didn't come up with anything

Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
MrMoto
1st Gear
Me Too. I am in Tucson and it happened all day yesterday Wed Nov 9, 2010?? Kept switching to FM from CD, USB etc and it said ALARM on the display. Is this a FCC issue? 91.3 KXCI was spotty too. They were getting stepped on or going off the air. Coincidental maybe.
Where are you?
Whackey
Peace
Mr Moto

Last edited by MrMoto; 11-10-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Fire Capt
1st Gear
It was weird for sure, mine only started at 4:30pm. I called Mini Scottsdale and the SA Devon was a complete jerk and said "I don't know! never heard of it happening before!" I asked if he could find out why it's doing it and he said it's probably a "glitch" when asked what a "glitch" is he said "you know it's probably 2 wires rubbing together" I asked if that was normal and he said maybe....

I then called Mini Tempe and spoke to the SA Doug and asked him if he heard of it before and he said yes I was the 5th person today to call about it, he didn't know what caused it but said he would find out and call back.

I'm never going back to Mini Scottsdale again they're useless and rude when I told Doug what the other fellow said I could almost hear him shaking his head on the phone.

I believe it was a Sirius firmware update because it hasn't happened again.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
MrMoto
1st Gear
Interesting. I don't have the Sirius Option in my audio system. so I don't think I have the satellite link. I am on the East side of Tucson and I had the problem all day driving back and forth to the MVD off of E22nd and S Pantano. After reading your post and not having any more problems I figured it was some one messing around with an FM transmitter that some how switched those MINI radios.

Sounds like Tempe is the place to go for service.

Thanks for the Info

Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
First — I have seen a similar issue with my 2009 MCS. But it seems to center on the CD player and I suspect it happens when I switch from the radio to the iPod connector (has to go through the CD player) with just the right timing when the car is first started. Here's a video of what happens (sorry it's sideways). I can fix it if I select CD as the source and give it a few seconds to sort itself out.

Second — I need to find someone in Arizona (preferably in the Phoenix area) with a 2010 MINI fitted with the HK upgraded stereo!

I've been trying to put the HK components in my 2009 MCS, and have everything in and working except the amp. When I plug the amp in, the sound is *way* off. I was at the Scottsdale dealership this past friday and they said there's a software update for the amp that is available (may or may not fix the issue), but when they tried to program it, the update would crap out every time. They theorized that it was likely because the system didn't recognized my configuration (2009 with HK amp) as a valid setup and aborted.

Soooo… what I need is to find a volunteer that will let me work with the Scottsdale dealership (Tempe has been less than helpful with this) to plug my amp into their 2010 MINI to see if the update will work under this more standard configuration. They wouldn't let me use one of the other 2010s they had in service that day, nor any of their loaner cars (perfectly understandable liability concerns with other people's property), but they thought it might work.

-------

Thinking on it a bit more… it may also be useful to plug my amp into a 2010 MINI just to see if it works properly there, or if it still exhibits the same 'wrong' sound that it does in mine. Maybe if someone in Tucson is willing to turn their 2010 into a guinea pig in that way, it might be an easy first step.

Last edited by fishbert; 11-14-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
All of the OPs problems sound like a programing issue. They have had similar complaints on 07, 08, and 09s and re-programing seems to have fixed the problems.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
dmceleven
Neutral
Well, this happened to me today in my 2009 Clubman, just outside of Philadelphia. Was blasting my iPod on the Turnpike, singing along to Merle Haggard, when the music suddenly cut out, replaced by the Emergency Alert System attention signal. I just about went into cardiac arrest. The radio display switched from the AUX display to FM, and was flashing ALARM.

It stopped after maybe 30 seconds.

Interestingly, this thread was started on Nov. 9 2010, a year to the day after this happened: Emergency Alert System to be Tested Across the Country's TVs and Radios.

The mystery deepens.