Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPod not charging... revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod not charging... revisited

I posted earlier asking if anybody else had had issues with their iPods running down during use in the MINI, due to not charging through the Y-cable supplied with the car.

I'm still having the problem, and out of curiosity, I tried using my white iPod cable instead; that is, the one that came with the iPod. Interestingly, that setup also saw the iPod battery going flat in short order.

So it's apparently the USB port in the MINI that's the culprit here, and not necessarily the Y-cable itself. Comments?

For now, I may just use a standard audio patch cable (1/8" stereo) in the AUX port and let it go at that. The iPod dial makes for quicker browsing than the MINI radio gubbins anyway, and the iPod will play for quite a while on battery power if it isn't providing USB info to the MINI as well as the audio signal.

Cheers,

Spridget

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm I have the Ipod adapter so I wonder if it is your Ipod not excepting the usb as a valid charging port. Unless it has worked in the past and is not working anymore.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How old is the Ipod?

Hell, with the Scosche adapter it even charges my Iphone... It charges the wifes 3gS without the adapter...

Old 06-24-2010, 05:11 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Spridget

There are a number of factors in whether the iPod will charge or not.

1. Model of iPod - early first Gen will not charge.

2. ULF Module - the module that runs the USB connection

3. Cable type - 1st gen iPod cables will not charge other generation iPods,

4. bad battery in the iPod. This is very common and they usually will charge correctly from a wall charger.

So if you can answer these questions.

1. What Generation iPod?
2. Can you plug in a USB Thumb Drive with Music on it and will it work?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
My iPod is a 6th Generation Video model, as seen here, but in black (like that makes a difference...):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...tion_white.jpg

With the exception of MINI connectivity it works perfectly, and charges and syncs with my PC flawlessly using its original cable - the cable that also failed to charge it from the MINI USB port.

I haven't tried a thumb drive yet, but it's an interesting idea and I'll give it a shot shortly. I've got four of the things lying about, and may as well stuff one full of tunes.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Spridget

Last edited by Spridget; 06-24-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Spridget
My iPod is a 6th Generation Video model, as seen here, but in black (like that makes a difference...):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...tion_white.jpg

With the exception of MINI connectivity it works perfectly, and syncs with my PC flawlessly using its original cable - the cable that also failed to charge it from the MINI USB port.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Spridget
Okay the problem is that the MINI can not provide the Current that the iPod Gen 6 needs to charge the battery.

The MINI provides 5VDC at up to 450ma and the latest generation of iPods require 1500ma of current to charge. There is a way to cause the iPod to go into what is called Low Power Charging mode (only requiring 500ma of current) and that is what is done by adapters such as the one by Scosh and others.

Your best bet is to try one of those adapters and see what happens.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
Great advice, thanks! FYI, I just nipped outside (I'm at work), and tested one of my thumb drives with a few folders of tunes. It worked fine, so I think I'll just give it to the MINI.

I'll just leave it plugged in all the time and switch to it when needed, and I'll feel better about leaving it out in the car vs. the iPod.

Motor on,

Spridget

Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 PM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a brand new generation 3 iPod Touch that throws up the following message on it's screen (see attached photo) when I plug it into my Y-adapter. Rats! My old 120GB iPod Classic worked and charged just fine, but the Touch is iffy to get started, and, apparently, does not charge.

Does anyone know whether or not BMW/MINI is planning on doing a new cable to make it possible to run the latest generations of iPods (all models) in their cars? I know that Apple did a change-up too, but I'm really getting sick of the German/British electronic gremlins that are beginning to pop up in my 25,000 mile Cooper...

Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dhoosee
I have a brand new generation 3 iPod Touch that throws up the following message on it's screen (see attached photo) when I plug it into my Y-adapter. Rats! My old 120GB iPod Classic worked and charged just fine, but the Touch is iffy to get started, and, apparently, does not charge.

Does anyone know whether or not BMW/MINI is planning on doing a new cable to make it possible to run the latest generations of iPods (all models) in their cars? I know that Apple did a change-up too, but I'm really getting sick of the German/British electronic gremlins that are beginning to pop up in my 25,000 mile Cooper...
As i have stated probably 100+ times.

It all has to do with the Current draw of the iP????. read my previous post in this thread.

If the battery is close to fully charged the iP??? will only draw a small amount of current (ie.e low current mode, less than 500ma of current) and the ULF module can give that current. If the iP??? has a low battery then it will require up to 1500ma of current to charge (three time what the MINI is capable of putting out) I.E. it can not charge.

Now with some adapters they have been able to fool the iP??? into thinking it only needs low current mode to charge so they will then charge. All be it very very very slowly, like 10+ hours to charge from fully drained.

Mini designed their equipment on the basis that old iP??? only needed less than 500ma of current to charge and then Apple change the rules without telling anyone.

My sister has the same problem with her Subaru and Nissan. A friend has the same problem with his Ford. So it is not just a British/German problem.

Try a Scosche Adapter on the MINI USB/Aux/iPod adapter. It may or may not work for you as this is more a problem with the iTouch than the MINI.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
ian3
2nd Gear
The OEM cable worked fine for me, up until iOS 4, on an iPhone 3GS. Posted about it in another thread – thinking that it's less hardware related and more software in this situation, specifically.