Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Back up camera wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up camera wiring

I hope some one can help. I am adding a back up camera to run with my NUVI 5000 and want to tap into the reverse lights to power it. Does anyone know which wire in the bundle in the boot is for the reverse lights and a a good negative too. A picture would be great if you have one.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi callahan00 I installed a backup camera on my convertible (see gallery) and I love it. What year model do you have?

The easiest thing may be to trace the wires from the backup bulb holder. I would expect there to be a ground wire and a hot wire and the camera electrical load is probably very small. I'd consider tapping the bulb wires just past the socket. Good luck

Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Hey gawannamini,

Thanks for the information. I bought the Audiovox CMOS2.I talked to an installer and he had a good suggestion for placement of the camera. He suggested attaching it just above the tailpipes on the black skirt piece.

I am considering going a different route with the wiring. Instead of only auto on with reverse. he suggested wiring in a power switch up front and I'll have full control of the camera. I am on the fence with this. Have you ever wished you had reverse view as you were driving down the road? My Garmin will autodetect the signal and switch to video input automatically but I'm not sure if the is useful or not. What is your opinion. I've never had a reverse camera on a car before. I'll send pictures after I've got it installed and my mind is made up.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Hey gawannamini,

Thanks for the information. I bought the Audiovox CMOS2.I talked to an installer and he had a good suggestion for placement of the camera. He suggested attaching it just above the tailpipes on the black skirt piece.

I am considering going a different route with the wiring. Instead of only auto on with reverse. he suggested wiring in a power switch up front and I'll have full control of the camera. I am on the fence with this. Have you ever wished you had reverse view as you were driving down the road? My Garmin will autodetect the signal and switch to video input automatically but I'm not sure if the is useful or not. What is your opinion. I've never had a reverse camera on a car before. I'll send pictures after I've got it installed and my mind is made up.
Since I have a dedicated LCD monitor (I like your approach to use the GPS) mine is on all the time the ignition is on. It does not bother me but the wide angle lens of my camera makes cars behind me look much much farther back than they actually are. It is perfect for making sure there are no kids or pets behind you before backing up and parking - but useless for lane changes etc. I added the Multivex side view mirrors to help with lane changes as convertibles have bad blind spots.

The main disadvantage to having the camera turn on with the back up lights is my LCD takes a second or so to turn on. If your GPS switches to camera view without delay I think I'd wire it to the back up lights. However, check and see how long it takes for your camera to produce a picture when power is applied. You don't want to have to wait on a power up before backing up.

Happy motoring!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Thanks for the input. the other disadvantage is that it is another button to push when backing out of a spot. It does take the NUVI about 30 seconds or so to boot up but It usually takes me about that time to get ready to back out anyway. Plus, I don't like the idea of a non-EOM switch cluttering up the dash so I think I am going to stci with wiring into the reverse light.

I had never really considered a back up camera until I bought the NUVI 5000. It works great for me because it is [or will be] a NAV system, music source, and reverse system wrapped up into one package. I'll post pictures of the set up afte I get back from the Dragon

Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Thanks for the input. the other disadvantage is that it is another button to push when backing out of a spot. It does take the NUVI about 30 seconds or so to boot up but It usually takes me about that time to get ready to back out anyway. Plus, I don't like the idea of a non-EOM switch cluttering up the dash so I think I am going to stci with wiring into the reverse light.

I had never really considered a back up camera until I bought the NUVI 5000. It works great for me because it is [or will be] a NAV system, music source, and reverse system wrapped up into one package. I'll post pictures of the set up afte I get back from the Dragon

That makes sense (tie into back up lights) as the main value will be to verify the area is clear before backing up. There is a great post in here by lacning74 where he videoed the view from his back up camera as he drove through NYC and parked. If I find the link I will post it later.

With a convertible the back up camera is extremely useful and even a hatchback has quite a blind spot directly behind the car.

I know what you mean about another switch to have to futz with. I get in, lower the top, hit the seat heat and then the SPORT button - alot of buttons!!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 AM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Here's the link to lacning74's excellant post including some video clips of the back up camera in action. I know you are using a NUVI as the display screen, but for those that are starting from scratch - I actually ordered the parts last spring from the links in lacnings74's post.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...up-camera.html

Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 PM
mini6322
2nd Gear
Did anyone consider using this Boyo VTL275 that has the rear-view camera as part of a chrome or black license plate frame ( http://www.boyovta.com/ &/or @ Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/g_277650/...as.html?tp=83) )? Actually there are several places that sell it at various prices it look like on the internet.

If this camera meets the job (I'm still learning what makes a good camera vs. another), wouldn't this be a cleaner install alternative?

I like the idea of maybe using a GPS devise to serve two purposes instead of having yet another screen that is on all the time (just my preference &/or I have gotten use to the nice setup my wife has in her car).

I went ahead and ordered the back-up sensor on my build just in case I could not figure out a way to get a camera solution. And was also being optimistic that by having one it might present other opportunities for the best solution.

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
in the right boot cubby, look for the bundle of wires coming from the taillight. in my car, the blue/grey wire was the reverse. i use it now to automatically switch video inputs from my carputer to the reverse cam. dude, i can't believe i went through so many backup cam revisions. hard to stop tweaking my hack mods.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini6322
Did anyone consider using this Boyo VTL275 that has the rear-view camera as part of a chrome or black license plate frame ( http://www.boyovta.com/ &/or @ Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/g_277650/...as.html?tp=83) )? Actually there are several places that sell it at various prices it look like on the internet.

If this camera meets the job (I'm still learning what makes a good camera vs. another), wouldn't this be a cleaner install alternative?

I like the idea of maybe using a GPS devise to serve two purposes instead of having yet another screen that is on all the time (just my preference &/or I have gotten use to the nice setup my wife has in her car).

I went ahead and ordered the back-up sensor on my build just in case I could not figure out a way to get a camera solution. And was also being optimistic that by having one it might present other opportunities for the best solution.

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
The license plate mount is cleaner. If you check out lacning74's post I believe he mentioned that the license mount camera that he was looking at was less sensitive in low light conditions. The external camera that I used is good at night. This may not be important to everyone. Check out the lux rating of the cameras to compare. My camera (see my gallery) mounts to the black plastic underside of the boot latch housing.

Good luck. It is well worth it to me to be able to see what is behind the MINI before backing up.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
mini6322
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
The license plate mount is cleaner. If you check out lacning74's post I believe he mentioned that the license mount camera that he was looking at was less sensitive in low light conditions. The external camera that I used is good at night. This may not be important to everyone. Check out the lux rating of the cameras to compare. My camera (see my gallery) mounts to the black plastic underside of the boot latch housing.

Good luck. It is well worth it to me to be able to see what is behind the MINI before backing up.
My fault. I should have acknowledged that I read his thread but found another brand of license plate with the following specs below . . . are these spec comparable to the cameras or have what I would want visually?

VTL405 Ultra Slim Bar Type License Plate Camera "Zinc Metal Chrome"

Key Features
High sensitive 1/3" DSP Color CCD built-in
380 TVL Horizontal Resolution
Remarkably True Color reproduction
Remarkable low Lux performance of 0.3 Lux at F2.0
Excellent Auto White Balance
Waterproof(IP67) Reverse Image
150º wide viewing angle
Adjustable up/down

Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
This was my solution to adding the backup camera. I bought the Audiovox CMOS2. I mounted it just above the tail pipes, attached to the black plastic valance. To bring the wires inside, I made a small slit in the grommet under the tool kit in the boot [then sealed with silicone] and brought the wiring up front. I mounted a switch on the knee panel and have total control of it as I like the idea of using it when driving as well.

For the monitor, I used my Garmin NUVI 5000 since it has a video imput. My Nuvi acts as my backup camera, MP3 player and Nav unit and it is all attached with a Kuda mount. The tail pipes give me a point of reference and i have a very clear shot of whats behind me. I was skittish about cuttin into the OEM wiring so that is why i went with a switch connected to the lighter.

I don't really like where I mounted the switch so I am thinking of moving it two the center consol between the cup holders. I just need to pull it up to see if there is enough clearance there. I think there is. I'll post some pictures soon.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini6322
My fault. I should have acknowledged that I read his thread but found another brand of license plate with the following specs below . . . are these spec comparable to the cameras or have what I would want visually?

VTL405 Ultra Slim Bar Type License Plate Camera "Zinc Metal Chrome"

Key Features
High sensitive 1/3" DSP Color CCD built-in
380 TVL Horizontal Resolution
Remarkably True Color reproduction
Remarkable low Lux performance of 0.3 Lux at F2.0
Excellent Auto White Balance
Waterproof(IP67) Reverse Image
150º wide viewing angle
Adjustable up/down
The camera I bought and the one linked in lacning74's post has a 0.3 Lux light rating and a 161 degree viewing angle. You camera should be very similar with a slightly narrower view.