Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Updated Y cable for iphone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updated Y cable for iphone?

I thought I read somewhere that Mini has a fix for the noncharging ability of using the USB port for iphones. IIRC, there's a new cable??

Can anyone expand on this?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
There are a bunch of threads that talk about this exact subject. Please search.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
There are a bunch of threads that talk about this exact subject. Please search.
Well, NO, there's NOT. There's plenty of threads about Y cables that do not work for the 3GS, there are plenty of threads saying there's suppose to be a new Y cable BUT they are fairly old.

I was asking if anyone has heard if the updated cable is out yet?

Thanks for nothing...

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM
hexmonkey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dared to ask a question here once after the search function didn't turn up anything remotely useful and I got the same reply. Interesting how if there were so many threads already on the topic, then why didn't the search work?

I wonder how many of Schatzy's posts are search-**** replies that just say "there are eleventy billion threads on this."

Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Some specific cable options talked about on this thread,"iPhone 3GS", but haven't heard about new one from MINI yet.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 AM
hexmonkey
1st Gear
My obligatory useful contribution to the thread:

I just bought my Mini last month on 01/02/10 and my y-cable doesn't charge my 3GS. I saw my MA open the bag with the y-cable in it, so it was a new cable at the time, but possibly not the "updated" one.

EDIT: I wonder if this accessory from ThinkGeek might help:

The iPhone USB Charging Adapter allows you to use any USB outlet to charge your iPhone. Simply connect it between the iPhone charging cable and the USB outlet and you're all set. No more searching for just the right USB outlet that is iPhone-friendly. Works with the iPhone, iPhone 3G and all iPod devices released with and after the 5th Gen (including iPod Touch, Nano, Shuffle, etc.)

Last edited by hexmonkey; 02-18-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
On a side note, ThinkGeek rocks. The best office toy I've ever owned is the Annoy-a-tron from their catalog!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 AM
DDoggJCW
3rd Gear
i guess there's no updated Y-cable.

Mine doesn't work either, but if I just use the USB (comes with phone) to iPhone 3GS, the phone charges!!!!

don't think the music transfers over, though

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Thanks guys, I was just wondering if the supposedly new cable is in circulation yet? Like I said, there's plenty of posts about the Y cable not charging the 3GS but I was hoping that someone had heard about the new cable.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I just got off the phone with my dealer. He told me there is some sort of plastic insert that goes into the center console to fix the problem. He's digging into it and will call me back tomorrow.

I'll let ya'll know if I find anything out.

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the original cable (since there's no new one yet, car delivered in December) and have had intermittent charging performance with my 3GS. If the car's not running when I plug it in, I get the "won't charge this device" error, and it doesn't. If it is running, about 75% of the time it starts charging. I've had runs where I charged it from in the 20% range to near 100%, then recently had one where it basically did a "maintenance" charge - was within a few percentage points of where I started when ending my drive about 2 hours later.

No problems at all with a 5G Nano that I leave plugged in all the time. It charges fully and properly. Great music solution, except that here in Phoenix I won't be able to leave it in the car much of the year when the heat is out of control

Hopefully a new cable or this "plastic insert" thing can address this once and for all.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Search on this site sucks. If your query turns up nothing useful try your query in Google. That usually works much better.

If you have an armrest and if you have smartphone prep then the arm rest can accept a sleeve that allows your iPhone to charge and use the externally mounted antenna as a signal booster. There is also another option that would allow your iPhone to play music on the cars stereo via USB in the armrest.

I have the sleeve and smartphone prep and it works just fine. I do not have the option to play music from the iPhone in the sleeve to the cars stereo.

This is an issue introduced by the new iPhone as Apple changed the pinouts for charging to keep 3rd parties in line and paying licensing fees to have the works with Apple iPod/iPhone logo on their products.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Well, NO, there's NOT.
Okay the following is spelled out in AT LEAST 6 different threads..

The PN is 61 12 0 440 812, and superceeds the previous PN of 61 12 0 440 796.

PN 61 12 0 440 796 was discontinued in August 2009.

Also part of the problem is NOT JUST THE Y-CABLE it also has to do with the ULF MODULE in the car. If the ULF Module can only produce 400ma of current then it will NEVER be able to charge a iPhone 3G or 3GS properly.

There's plenty of threads about Y cables that do not work for the 3GS, there are plenty of threads saying there's supposed to be a new Y cable BUT they are fairly old.
Well the part of that statement about being "fairly old" is totally untrue as this Exact Subject was discussed in on January 27th-28th 2010 which is only three weeks ago today.

I was asking if anyone has heard if the updated cable is out yet?

Thanks for nothing...

Mark
Yeah it came out 7 months ago.

Originally Posted by hexmonkey
I dared to ask a question here once after the search function didn't turn up anything remotely useful and I got the same reply. Interesting how if there were so many threads already on the topic, then why didn't the search work?
because the site search function is horrible. Use Google it works much better.

Originally Posted by hexmonkey
I wonder how many of Schatzy's posts are search-**** replies that just say "there are eleventy billion threads on this."
Please note that there is a Site Guideline #2 which has to do with RESPECT of other members of this forum.

But to answer your question "not to many", but when I know that there are more than three (3) threads out there on the subject, Yes I will comment on searching for the answer. Oh and the last time this was discussed was on January 28th 2010 (three weeks ago today)

Also please note that in the Site Guidelines REQUIRE under section 3 that users of this site search and NOT post threads on the same subject.

But if someone comes to the site and says "Hey i am having trouble finding the answer to this and I have searched for it" you will find that I am very kind and send them a link or to to get them started.

So now there are at least 7 threads that cover this subject

Oh and BTW there are 12 post previous to this one. Take out the original for the question and that leaves 11 posts of which only three really had any kind of help for the OP so that means that there are 8 which did nothing for this thread. So 3/4 of this thread is totally useless.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
So 3/4 of this thread is totally useless.

Much like your responses...

Instead of your holier than thou attitude, why don't YOU try to be respectful. I'm not a child, I don't need chastized with your pathetic comments.

If you had an answer that answered my question, then please, feel free to respond.

BUT to take the time to come up with some smart *** "Please search" response DID NOTHING to help this thread.

Just because I didn't put the words "I've searched and I couldn't find it" doesn't mean I didn't search.

You said it came out 7 months ago. Your PN is 61 12 0 440 812 ISN'T a fix. There's STILL suppose to be a fix so let me try this again.

Let me say this slowly so even you can understand this...

T H E R E
I S
S U P P O S E
T O
B E
A
N E W
C A B L E
C O M I N G
O U T
S O O N. (not your old 7 month old cable... a NEW one)

D O E S
A N Y O N E
K N O W
A B O U T
I T???

T H A N K S ! ! !

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE

T H E R E
I S
S U P P O S E
T O
B E
A
N E W
C A B L E
C O M I N G
O U T
S O O N. (not your old 7 month old cable... a NEW one)

D O E S
A N Y O N E
K N O W
A B O U T
I T???

T H A N K S ! ! !

Mark
NO there is not a NEW cable coming out. the newest and latest that BMW has designed is the 812 and they DO NOT have another on the drawing board.

That is the answer to your question.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
NO there is not a NEW cable coming out. the newest and latest that BMW has designed is the 812 and they DO NOT have another on the drawing board.

That is the answer to your question.

THANK YOU!!! I was told there was yet another "fix" (whether it is a cable, etc, etc) that was suppose to come out within the last month. I couldn't find any postings about it (except on a mini forum in England) so I thought I would ask here.

That's all I wanted to know.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
And as I stated in Post #13 if the ULF module in the car can only put out 400MA (which is what the 08-09 cars have in them) then there is no way to get the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the latest gen Nano and Video to charge properly. They require more than 400 MA to charge on.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
And as I stated in Post #13 if the ULF module in the car can only put out 400MA (which is what the 08-09 cars have in them) then there is no way to get the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the latest gen Nano and Video to charge properly. They require more than 400 MA to charge on.
I wonder if that is what the dealer was speaking of when I called them a couple of hours ago. He said there was some sort of plastic insert you put into the dash console to fix the problem.

Is this ULF module replaceable? Perhaps some sort of upgrade to the stock one.....

I dunno, the dealer said he would call me back in the morning.

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I have heard that BMW is working on something for the 5 and 7 series cars that have the same problem we do but that thru all there testing nothing has worked properly every time. They seem to be getting simialr results to all of us that occasionally it may work but most of the time it does not.

The simple thing for them to do would be to put a power supply in line with the USB port on the car and just have it do the charging portion but then there are problems with making that work as well with USB Sticks and other devices charging off the USB port.

As a standard USB is great but what Apple has done to it with their latest products is killing everyone that makes support products that do charging.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear

The simple thing for them to do would be to put a power supply in line with the USB port on the car and just have it do the charging portion but then there are problems with making that work as well with USB Sticks and other devices charging off the USB port.

That's what I was thinking of doing. I was going to just put a 12V power supply to the back of the USB port. Up until this point, I had never used my ipod on my radio.

It wasn't until I plugged it up yesterday that I found out the radio "reads" all my songs on my iphone.

Oh well, perhaps they'll get it fixed.

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I wonder if that is what the dealer was speaking of when I called them a couple of hours ago. He said there was some sort of plastic insert you put into the dash console to fix the problem.

Is this ULF module replaceable? Perhaps some sort of upgrade to the stock one.....

I dunno, the dealer said he would call me back in the morning.

Mark
The ULF module is replaceable but as warranty I am sure they will not do it unless it is really broken. It handles the Bluetooth and the USB port. As for if the 2010 has a newer version I am not sure. I have not checked on the latest part number for it to see what its active start date is. They may not have upgraded it yet.

As for upgrades to the ULF module it really is nothing but a very specific computer and at that is not really upgradable.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
That's what I was thinking of doing. I was going to just put a 12V power supply to the back of the USB port. Up until this point, I had never used my ipod on my radio.
It would need to be a 5 VDC power supply as that is what the USB outputs for power.

It wasn't until I plugged it up yesterday that I found out the radio "reads" all my songs on my iphone.

Oh well, perhaps they'll get it fixed.

Mark
An iPod and an iPhone are really the same thing just that the iPhone has a telephone built in.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
It would need to be a 5 VDC power supply as that is what the USB outputs for power.

An iPod and an iPhone are really the same thing just that the iPhone has a telephone built in.
I realize that but I meant by replacing the power supply by a 12v (or in this case, 5V) it would be strictly power and leave no ability to "read the ipod/iphone"

Mark

Old 02-18-2010, 02:16 PM
hexmonkey
1st Gear
Please note that there is a Site Guideline #2 which has to do with RESPECT of other members of this forum.
I consider search-****, non-answers to be disrespectful when posted as replies to completely valid, politely-phrased questions. It's n00b-bashing, plain and simple.

But to answer your question "not to many", but when I know that there are more than three (3) threads out there on the subject, Yes I will comment on searching for the answer.
Why bother to comment if it's not going to be helpful? Why waste your time saying "search" when you could, in the exact same amount of time, post links to the threads instead?

You're being disingenuous if you claim to be doing anything but n00b-bashing.

Also please note that in the Site Guidelines REQUIRE under section 3 that users of this site search and NOT post threads on the same subject.
Have you noticed that it doesn't require you to say in every post "I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for"?

That combined with the fact that you KNOW the search function is useless proves that your replies are pointless wen all you say is "search, n00b".

But if someone comes to the site and says ... you will find that I am very kind and send them a link or to to get them started.
So you admit you're deliberately unkind to those who don't follow your unwritten rules? Please note that there is a Site Guideline #2 which has to do with RESPECT of other members of this forum.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
As a standard USB is great but what Apple has done to it with their latest products is killing everyone that makes support products that do charging.
What are they doing to the spec?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Updated Y cable for iphone?