Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Is there any way to get Bluetooth Stereo to the MINI head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
3nigma
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any way to get Bluetooth Stereo to the MINI head unit?

I've got a really great Blackberry Bold with three 16 gb microSD cards. It holds all my music (no need for an iPod). It synces with my 09 JCW stereo just great for phone service... but can I somehow connect it up to the stereo via bluetooth (like I do with my stereo bluetooth headset)? This would be device nirvana for me! Anyone know?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think so. Have you tried connecting to it with a USB cable? I think it should be able to read music off of it that way.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
use this, connect it to the AUX input
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-ASY...2848370&sr=8-1

Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bor
Cool, so you can use this instead of an iPod and a phone? Ohhhhh, that could reduce the two new gadgits I'm shopping for to one new gadgit.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dvhone
Cool, so you can use this instead of an iPod and a phone? Ohhhhh, that could reduce the two new gadgits I'm shopping for to one new gadgit.
I have one of these and it works great with my blackberry but i have not been able to get it to work properly with two other bluetooth phones (LG ENV2 and Motorola Razr) In fact i can not get the LG to work with it at all, the razo will work randomly. And it only works for music not the phone call bluetooth to the car.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:23 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bor
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-ASY...2848370&sr=8-1
First, try the USB connection idea. That way you would be able to control programming through the head unit and steering wheel controls. With the aux input solution you will only be able to control volume through the head unit.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
3nigma
1st Gear
I'll try the USB today and report back . I like to keep the blackberry in the left driver's side cup holder... so I can use it for GPS (and see it easily). the USB connection is right there... so this would be a good solution if it works!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 AM
3nigma
1st Gear
USB input does not seem to work. It powers the phone but reports an error when I try to access the device. I'll get the adapter for the Aux input =D.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by lhoboy
First, try the USB connection idea. That way you would be able to control programming through the head unit and steering wheel controls. With the aux input solution you will only be able to control volume through the head unit.
I have spoken with the folks at RIM about this matter and have found out that the MASS Storage Unit setting is not actually compatible with the Mini. This is unfortunate and would actually be the best way of doing it but as 3nigma has found out it does not work.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I have spoken with the folks at RIM about this matter and have found out that the MASS Storage Unit setting is not actually compatible with the Mini. This is unfortunate and would actually be the best way of doing it but as 3nigma has found out it does not work.
Weird, really?

I had an 08 MCS loaner for three days last year while I had a flywheel noise checked out and it was able to read my MP3s over mass storage. It's an 8320 Curve with OS 4.3 IIRC.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:39 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
Weird, really?

I had an 08 MCS loaner for three days last year while I had a flywheel noise checked out and it was able to read my MP3s over mass storage. It's an 8320 Curve with OS 4.3 IIRC.
I am running OS 4.5.0.77 on mine and it always comes up on any PC in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>USB as a "Compopsite USB Device" AND "Blackberry Smart Phone" AND "USB Mass Storage Device"

All the other devices that i own only show up as a single listing as "USB Mass Storage Device"

So i am thinking that there is something with the other two listings that is causing the Mini a problem so that it does not recognize the device.

But again speaking with RIM about it was futile as they have no idea how the mini is set up.

Has anyone gotten a smart phone set up on an 09 working.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Actually, thinking back- I had trouble finding the USB source in the menu, I gave up after a few seconds and just used the voice control to select it.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Hmmm
3rd Gear
Thumb drive ftw!

Even though the MINI seems to be built around the iPhone or iPod, it doesn't get much better than a nice thumb drive that is small, holds a ton of songs, and doesn't require cables!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM
flannery
1st Gear
iPhone Bluetooth to AUX

I am trying this combination on my 2004 Cooper S with the Harman Kardon upgraded stereo (plan to install this weekend):

Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Car Kit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NmeOOt1...th-System.html

Mini Aux input kit:
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...pod_mp3_hookup

The plan is to hook up the AUX wire to the Stereo and run it to the glove box.

Next run the power line into the glove box for the Scosche (I think I am going to connect this directly into the fuse box but still undecided).

Connect the Scosche to the AUX wire with an RCA to male 3.5mm jack.

Run the Scosche Mic from the glove box and mount with double sided foam tape to the dash right behind the steering wheel (nearly direct line of sight/sound).

In theory, I should be able to listen to music from my iPhone, control volume with the MFSW buttons and if a call comes in the phone will mute the music and let me take the call by pressing the button on the Schosche mic. This all works with my FM modulator (Motorola T505) but I am starting to get a lot of static from the FM modulation and wanted a hardwired system from the bluetooth receiver to the head unit.

I am going to use this great info for installing the AUX cable:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lled-pics.html

And will post any pics I take with my system and describe how it works after I get it all installed...

Cost so far about $140 USD.

Mike
2004 MCS - Factory HK Stereo - Unmodified

Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
flannery
1st Gear
Adding Bluetooth to the HK stereo Part II

I got my AUX cable a day early and installed it tonight. How easy was that! I think it took me about 1 minute including pulling off the knee plate and then connecting the cable. Worked like a champ and my iPhone sounds great over it! Even played with the AUX level.

I then added the Scosche. I temporarily connected it to the Cig lighter fuze just to make sure it worked. I routed all wires to the area immediately under the toggle switches in the center console.

The Scosche is an interesting device. When paired it sounds easily as good as the direct connect. The phone mic also works well and sounds best when mounted around the driver's visor. My idea to mount it to the dash was not a good one as I sound very quiet when talking. Mounted to the visor sounds great.

So far the only problem I am running into is getting the Scosche to re-pair after I move far enough away from the car to drop the signal. When I come back it doesn't seem to want to pair back up again unless I go into the iPhone settings and tell Bluetooth to reconnect. If I do that it reconnects just fine and I can listen to music or make calls. Calls also sound good over the speakers and there was no noticeable echo or feedback from the mic.

I am going to see if I can resolve this re-pairing issue tomorrow and if so I will post the answer and pics of the set up. If not I will be looking for a similar device but with the AUX working so well I an not in any urgent rush to get something working.

Cheers!
Mike

Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
IT seems to me that if you have the radio or cd playing then there will be no possibility of have a phone conversation come in, as it sounds like from your explanation and reading up on this unit.

Am I correct on this? or is there something I am missing?

Old 08-15-2009, 05:50 AM
flannery
1st Gear
That is correct. I think, however, this can be worked around. The NAV Voice Prompts seem to be connected to the radio in the two pins immediately next to the connection for the AUX (see the pictures here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...led-pics.html). The Scosche is working well but not perfect. Issues include:
  • No automatic reconnection to my iPhone (this is starting to really bother me)
  • Only works in AUX mode (not an issue as I mostly listen to the phone anyway. When the phone rings I just need to hit Mode and then press the answer button on the Mic)
  • Minor skips in the music (not sure what's causing this. I turned off the iPhone WIFI but still have occasional skips in the music.)

Items 1 and 3 were not issues with my Motorola T505. So I started looking around and found a hard wired Motorola T605 (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=174) that has wires that I think if I plug into the same ports as the NAV in this connector will do exactly what we are looking for. Now, I could buy a pre-made harness for this but what fun is that? I'm thinking that's a last resort. My theory is that if I plug the orange and blue wires from the T605 (http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...T605_UG_US.pdf page 4) into the harness where the NAV pins are that the Motorola will mute the radio/CD/MP3 player when a call comes in but play the call through the AUX port. I'm not sure what to do with the yellow line but I can play with that if I have the correct pins.

All in all I am happy with the Scosche. It was easier to install than any other car kit that is direct wired and all in all it works really well. I have ordered the T605 and will test it to compare the two and return the one I like least. I will also post photos of each install. Now off to RadioShack to get some pins that will fit in this harness!

Mike

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 AM
flannery
1st Gear
Found this reference for the pins for the AUX port on the back of the radio:

http://www.geekshocker.com/Claire/audio/compAux.php

From the T605 there is are orange and blue lines for tel audio + and tel audio - (respectively). These should pop into pins 6 and 12 in the back of the radio. My big assumption is that the radio seems smart enough to recognize voltage coming into these pins and mute what is playing and play what is coming in instead. I am relatively confident with this as the NAV seems to work the same way. With this I think I can ignore the yellow or mute line from the T605. Last thing to find is female pins to plug into the AUX harness in locations 6 and 12 and I think I may have it! Stay tuned for my next installment this coming weekend! :-)

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Do you realize that this make no difference to most of us here as this is the second Gen (2007+ coop, 2008+ clubman, 2009+ convert) forums and everything you are doing does nothing for us. We do not have the H/K system. Now we are being told that there is a H/K system coming for the second gen cars but will not be available until Dec probably and but it will also be completely different from what is in you car.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 AM
flannery
1st Gear
Nope, didn't realize that. I would think what I finally ended up with would work with any radio that has an AUX input. I will find a more appropriate thread.

Thanks!