Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Adding Bluetooth after delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Bluetooth after delivery

Does anyone know if it's possible to add the bluetooth hook-up to a MINI? My son has been offered a "deal" on a 2009 MCS but it lacks the Ipod/Bluetooth hook-up. The dealer says they'll install the Ipod interface free. I'm assuming that this offer is just for the Ipod hook-up - not Bluetooth also. Can the bluetooth be added at the dealership? No, he didn't order the Nav and he already has a Nuvi 650 (the non-bluetooth) so he isn't looking to buy another. Your answers will make or break this deal.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM
drew@southbaymini
Former Vendor
Unfortunately you can not add the bluetooth to the R56 MINIS at the dealership. It has to be installed at the time of build the i pod adapter is added with no problem.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
There's no way to put in a different radio with bluetooth capability? But there are after market radios that one could install w/ bluetooth, right? I've never fully understood the whole BT thing. Is it something that can only be integrated when they are building the car?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
There's the mObridge system- it's compatible with the new MOST bus in the R56 and up MINIs and would allow for complete integration. Be warned: it ain't cheap. It still requires a dealer install of the CD changer software too. It also includes iPod integration though...

There are aftermarket radios with Bluetooth capability, but the amount of work needed to make it fit and work in a MINI is going to be far above and beyond what would be needed in a car with a standard deck. Everything is so customized it makes much more sense to go with a different add-on piece that just uses the AUX jack, like the Parrot units.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
The parts are available to add the factory bluetooth to an R56. However when you add up all parts cost, its around $1100.00 .... The wiring is all there, but the cost is just outrageous for several components !

Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 AM
9000RPMan
1st Gear
Get the Parrot CK3100 and the adapter harness from Mikey the Mini. With the exception of seeing the caller ID on the nav screen, I get all of the functionality of the factory bluetooth unit. The steering wheel controls work and my installer even managed to place the microphone in the factory location. All in all, a clean installation.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Amanda@southbaymini
Unfortunately you can not add the bluetooth to the R56 MINIS at the dealership. It has to be installed at the time of build the i pod adapter is added with no problem.
This is totally not true. The parts can be gotten and added to the R56 Mini, but the cost as stated before is over the top.

The Bluetooth and USB are driven by on module and if that module is not installed then it and a few other small items (usb port and wiring, blutooth antenna and wiring) to make it work can be pruchased from any Mini Dealer. The parts alone will be over $1000. But it can be done.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
There's no way to put in a different radio with bluetooth capability? But there are after market radios that one could install w/ bluetooth, right? I've never fully understood the whole BT thing. Is it something that can only be integrated when they are building the car?
After market radios will not fit in between the currently available center console plastics here in the USA. There are a few center console kits available from Japan that will allow a single or double DIN radio to be installed but the cost to get just the plastics kit is over $500.00 at this time plus shipping form Japan.

As for after market radios having bluetooth, some do and some do not.

As for adding bluetooth capabilities to a car, it can be added to any car of any make of any year as long as there is a 12VDC source to drive the bluetooth module.

It is just usually more integrated if it is manufactured into the car. the one drawback to this is that they usually do not work with to many phones. Aftermarket Bluetooth modules for Parrot and others will usually work with a much broader range of phones.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
It's not ideal, but a decent and relatively cheap way to add BT is to get a Garmin Nuvi that has BT. You can use that for hands free phone. That was what I did in my M3. It doesn't give you the voice control and steering wheel functions, but it works well enough otherwise.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
This is totally not true. The parts can be gotten and added to the R56 Mini, but the cost as stated before is over the top.

The Bluetooth and USB are driven by on module and if that module is not installed then it and a few other small items (usb port and wiring, blutooth antenna and wiring) to make it work can be pruchased from any Mini Dealer. The parts alone will be over $1000. But it can be done.
I'd be worried too that the install would end up like Edge's DPSM work; where techs have the car half together and realize that X wiring harness is different in the diagram than what is included with the car.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schatzy62

you could retrofit a sunroof too but realistically it'll never be done.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
russr
5th Gear
I am one of these folks that was too cheap to spend the $500 at ordering time to get the bluetooth/usb package and I've deeply regretted it since. To solve the issue, I got a visor based bluetooth speaker phone (Blueant supertooth) and use that to have something at least.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
theclubman
1st Gear
I added Bluetooth and ipod

I added after market bluetooth and ipod and the bluetooth uses the bottons on my steering wheel and works through my speakers and my phone contacts are loaded also

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 AM
hydouken
1st Gear
Originally Posted by theclubman
I added after market bluetooth and ipod and the bluetooth uses the bottons on my steering wheel and works through my speakers and my phone contacts are loaded also
A little more detail on the system you used please ?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
I would never not buy a car because it didn't have bluetooth. That should not be a deal breaker if the deal is GOOD! Besides... what are the chances that the phone you have even pairs well with the bluetooth? Even if it does... is it necessary to be talking on the phone with the bluetooth while you are driving? Unless your job requires that you are always free to talk on the phone, even when you are in the car... and given the fact that cell phone usage laws are popping up all over the place I understand.

BUT... I would never pass up a good deal for the lack of an option like bluetooth. Plus they are offering you the ipod hookup for free. WOW. That is a $500.00 option and install!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
russr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by theclubman
Yeah how about giving us some details?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Kelly2118
Neutral
Hi. I know this is an old post,but since I was frantically searching for an answer to this question a couple of days ago, I thought I would add what I found to the knowledge base.

I have been shopping for the "right MINI" for a while now and for me that includes bluetooth and ipod jack. I found a 2008 MINI Cooper Hard Top I really liked, but although the steering wheel has the controls for answering a phone it was not equipped with bluetooth.

The salesperson (is MA the right lingo...I'm new to all of this) told me that to equip this 2008 hardtop with bluetooth and ipod jack it would cost $1,330.00 installed. Ouch!

I love this car, but I also love my iphone.

Hope this helps someone else who is trying to sift through all of the options and lingo.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Kelly2118
Hi. I know this is an old post,but since I was frantically searching for an answer to this question a couple of days ago, I thought I would add what I found to the knowledge base.

I have been shopping for the "right MINI" for a while now and for me that includes bluetooth and ipod jack. I found a 2008 MINI Cooper Hard Top I really liked, but although the steering wheel has the controls for answering a phone it was not equipped with bluetooth.

The salesperson (is MA the right lingo...I'm new to all of this) told me that to equip this 2008 hardtop with bluetooth and ipod jack it would cost $1,330.00 installed. Ouch!

Hope this helps someone else who is trying to sift through all of the options and lingo.
Welcome to NAM. Yes adding OEM bluetooth after the car is built is rather expensive because of all the labor hours to get the job done.

Your best bet for Bluetooth would be to go with a Parrot 9200 unit with a MFSW (multi function steering wheel) adapter harness from www.newministuff.com Total cost about $400 installed by a local car audio shop.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 AM
russr
5th Gear
Most dealers will not even bother doing it as it is very labor intensive and Mini doesn't provide an install kit.
Originally Posted by Kelly2118

Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Another board member has retrofitted the OEM Bluetooth system (MULF2 HI). I have personally installed a FISCON system which is an OEM-replacement system.

The parts for the OEM system are around 400-500€, depending where you source them. You can get a used MULF module cheaper on ebay.... The Fiscon is 400€ and easier in the installation.

Finally, the OEM Bluetooth is officially offered as a retrofit and MINI has issued official instructions for it. All dealers should be able to do it. There is an official retrofit kit, which provides the wiring harness, microphone and antennas. The ECU is offered separately, as some cars (with USB) already have the ECU onboard but lack the ancillaries to it.

PS: I don't know about US pricing but it is usually cheaper in the US than in EU.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes I installed the Factory USB & Bluetooth system in my car! Using the official BMW retrofit kit (about $200) and a used ULF module ($100). The install was very labor intensive and required retrofit programming.

$1300 is what my dealer quoted me after they at first refused to acknowledge that it could be done and then told me, "oh yeah, but nobody likes that system after we do it so we just tell everyone it can't be done"....Very odd....

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
Bluetooth

Why not just spend $130 and get a Jawbone? It works well and the caller at the other end can actually hear you. And it is a bootload less expensive.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Anyone who has used the "official" retrofit kit have part numbers for us?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is only for vehicles produced from 8/2007 to 8/2010.

Part number 65412152530 for the retrofit kit and 84109200822 for the ULF module. If you have a convertible (R57) you need to order a few more parts.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Todney
Neutral
The ULF Module location

My Fiance has a 2007 Mini Cooper, Hard Top. She does not have the bluetooth option but i heard the wireing harness is set up for it. Well, i have the ULF (TCU) module, the Bluetooth Antenna with cable and the microphone. I know in BMWs, the module is located in the trunk. My guess is this module is located behind the dash, posibly behind the glove box? But i don't want to tare the dash apart trying to figure out where it goes.

So, if someone knows where the ULF(TCU) module is located, would make my job a lot easier finding the wireing harness/Connector to hook it up.

Thanks,
Tod

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Adding Bluetooth after delivery