Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Possible Aftermarket head unit kit from Japan.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Vincent.
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Possible Aftermarket head unit kit from Japan.

Who wants to be the first to try it??

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/s106300389

Pics:

Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty sweet, it looks like you would then have to add bluetooth and ipod integration separately and then try to tie into the multifunction steering wheel controls. Sounds complicated. A better setup would be something that also replaced the Speedo also.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rasputinj
Pretty sweet, it looks like you would then have to add bluetooth and ipod integration separately and then try to tie into the multifunction steering wheel controls. Sounds complicated. A better setup would be something that also replaced the Speedo also.

There have been a number of posts on this subject recently and the OEM radio is so integrated into the other electronics of the car the OEM radio must stay in the vehicle.

Some reports have stated that the radio unit gets moved to anohter location in the car so that the new head unit can fit in place.

Many of the radios that would normaly be used in one of these systems already has NAV, Bluetooth, iPod integration built in. Just look at the nubmer of head units in this country that already do that.

As for adding the MFSW control that may or may not already be done from the wiring harness that is supplied.

New Mini Stuff (http://www.newministuff.com/new/index.php) I believe has been in talks with the manufacturer of these items to be able to get them integrated into the vehicle. They already have a nubmer of kits that will assist gen1 and gen 2 car intergrate aftermarket electronics.

I can't find the the thread i am looking for where Mike from New Mini Stuff talks about these items but there is at least one thread.

Check with them and they may be able to help you out with this stuff.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Thanks for the info on newministuff

Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
But what if you have nav? That wouldn't fit cause of the extra dvd slot :(

Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence
But what if you have nav? That wouldn't fit cause of the extra dvd slot :(
From what i can gather from a friend that has translated some of this is that the main reaosn to get this is so you can get NAV in Japan. All the head units that are sold with this kit have NAV built in.

I have not been able to find a Mini configurator like we have on the US and European sites to see if mini offers NAV as an option for Japan.

But they do have three packages you can choose from and none have NAV listed as a part of the option.
The packages are

CHIC

COOL

HOT

Old 08-29-2008, 07:07 AM
enjoyingsilence
3rd Gear
oh. hmmmmmm I can see where many people would find that interesting, now that I think about it from that perspective.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
clayvt
3rd Gear
google translated it mentions that the spedo information screen and tac screen would no longer function. and auction price is 45,360 Yen. Or $417ish. so who wants to order one?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by clayvt
google translated it mentions that the spedo information screen and tac screen would no longer function. and auction price is 45,360 Yen. Or $417ish. so who wants to order one?
and that is just the hardware for the center console conversion. That does not include the new head unit or amps and speakers.

And if you loose all the data from the speedo screen that means that i can't use my bluetooth phone unless i buy a head unit with bluetooth built in. and my MFSW will not work either. All options this American wants