Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Using the R55/R56 satellite antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not see it in the kick panel and I do see it is sat prep.

S693A Vorbereitung BMW Satellitenradio Preparation BMW satellite radio

Wonder where it is. Maybe different since it is navi?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mvalpreda
I did not see it in the kick panel and I do see it is sat prep.

S693A Vorbereitung BMW Satellitenradio Preparation BMW satellite radio

Wonder where it is. Maybe different since it is navi?
Here's the location on my 2013 R56:

Passenger kick panel removed.

Name:  IMG_0798_zps4b358c48.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  74.1 KB

Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 AM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
I looked in there and didn't see anything like that. There were a lot of wires, but nothing like that. I will have to look again.

I have navi in mine, possible it is wired a different way? Or already hooked into the head unit?

I'll send a pic with mine open.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mvalpreda
I looked in there and didn't see anything like that. There were a lot of wires, but nothing like that. I will have to look again.

I have navi in mine, possible it is wired a different way? Or already hooked into the head unit?

I'll send a pic with mine open.
Mine was plugged into the head unit. I disconnected it at the pink connector, and plugged in the new cable to my outboard SXM unit.

XM units are now integral to the head unit, but not acivated by BMW.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 PM
TornadoTJ
Neutral
I need to pull up this old thread because I seem to have run into an unusual dilemma.

My 2011 Cooper S has the factory installed satellite, and we've been using it. But, I just transferred the subscription to another vehicle, and I want to use my Onyx portable radio in the Mini to save from needing yet another subscription. We have 5 vehicles (mostly offroad only stuff) and like to take the Onyx from vehicle to vehicle, since we can't all be in all 5 vehicles at once.

I have pulled the passenger side kick panel, and found the black with pink dots connector for what appears to be the regular FM antenna. I have searched around in the slit under the passenger seat to see if can find the pink connector, but it's not there.

I am just about to pull the passenger seat, but before I do I wanted to see if anyone has done this operation in a vehicle that has the factory Sirius radio installed. There is no hump or plastic door under the passenger seat, so I am thinking if the sat radio is installed from the factory, it must be somewhere else other than under the passenger seat.

I can post pictures of all of this if needed.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 AM
cgr
Neutral
Hi TornadoTJ,

can't speak for Sirius (not available in Europe... ;-) ), but the wiring for FM and GPS is running in the harness from the head unit to the passenger side circuit breaker module. If you remove the lower cover of the door opening (the long plastic that you lift your leg over when you leave the car, running from the rear end of the door to the footwell, hope that explanation makes sense ... ), you shuold see the connectors for the various anetnna cables.

Hope that helps?

CU

cgr

Old 01-15-2023, 04:18 PM
mini9000
Neutral
2013 MCS with iPhone and ONYX Satellite

Originally Posted by grimah1w
Bit of a thread resurect...2010 MCS installed XM using ProClip mount, power through add a fuse and purchased the regular 174 cable from CD Int. easily located the pink connector under the passenger seat. Was willing to pull the seat bolts and shift it out of the way without disconnecting the airbag sensor, then removed the plastic cover wand the cable was right there. Connected 174 cable and powered up...no signal to my XM Edge. :-(. Connected XM supplied antenna and as soon as I did, signal was strong. Heck, didn't even have it on the roof by the passenger door as I was just testing. Rechecked using CD Int cable, double checked all connections...no signal.

Gave up on CD Int 174 regular connecting to Mini OEM Sat antenna cable and just ran the XM magnetic mount...little painful but wire is completely concealed. Placed XM antenna behind the mini antenna and ran the cable through the rubber seal into the roof, out toward back end of head liner, inside and along the weather strip down to right side trim, under trim, under seat, under sil of passenger door and under foot carpet to the center console hidden all the way to the proclip mount.

CD Int was great about offering return and refund and even returned my phone call on 4th of July. Wish I would have been successful with their product but wasn't.

Btw also tried the same cable with an active Sirius radio but that didn't work either!

Maybe the car's actual multi band antenna is bad? Don't know but the XM antenna is very subtle and I am satisfied...happy to have sat.

Will post a few photos later.
That's what I just did! I just got a new (to me) 2013 MCS. Got a long Proclip mount to hold our iPhones (my wife and I have the same iPhone and case ) AND the ONYX satellite receiver which we also use in our travel trailer. I just get power for both from a dual outlet USB charger in the accessory outlet, I just didn't want to deal with pulling out the kick panel or getting it back in. Really like having the phone and the ONYX facing me when I drive.

2013 MCS with iPhone and satellite on a Proclip mount