Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio XM or SIRIUS radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 AM
steve216
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM or SIRIUS radio

I didn't the the Sirius radio package and now I want a satellite radio for my car, I hardly know anything about each of them, does it matter which I go with?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it's programming. XM has baseball and hockey some college stuff and I think Sirius has pro football. I had a rental car with Sirius once, and I have to say I like the music on XM better.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:55 AM
BunsenH
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I selected Sirius mostly due to the discounts on hardware and service through AAA. I use it for music 99% of the time and am quite satisfied.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Oooh... the never ending debate over Sirius vs. XM. Yes, it does matter... for now. But things may change if the merger gets approved (one more FCC vote to go: http://www.orbitcast.com)

Here's the differences:
Sirius: more chatter and cheesiness on the music stations, repetitive play-lists, Howard Stern, NFL, NASCAR, Martha Stewart

XM: Much better music stations, more variety, deeper play-lists, Opie & Anthony, MLB, NHL, Oprah Winfrey.

I've been a subscriber of XM for six years and Sirius for four years. I have a Sirius radio in my truck because it works for free, and I have an XM Delphi Xpress RC in the MINI because I like XM better and this radio has some cool features.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:39 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Won't matter soon enough.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aB.c5YGeRjnk

XM-Sirius merger has gained approval. I'd say go with Sirius since it'll be integrated into the head unit, and since both companies have said a merger won't affect existing customer equipment, you'll still be good to go.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 AM
flav
5th Gear
SIRIUS hands down!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
Won't matter soon enough.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aB.c5YGeRjnk

XM-Sirius merger has gained approval. I'd say go with Sirius since it'll be integrated into the head unit, and since both companies have said a merger won't affect existing customer equipment, you'll still be good to go.
Actually, it may be another year or so before you can get XM stations on Sirius and Sirius stations on XM, so you should still do your homework and sample each of their offerings. And yes, if you want the Integrated solution, go with Sirius. But if you want an after-market solution, there are lots of great radios from both companies for a lot less.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by tim781996
Actually, it may be another year or so before you can get XM stations on Sirius and Sirius stations on XM, so you should still do your homework and sample each of their offerings. And yes, if you want the Integrated solution, go with Sirius. But if you want an after-market solution, there are lots of great radios from both companies for a lot less.
Even at a year, you still get a free year with your Sirius install in the MINI (free as in it's included in the price). But if you want something that can move from car to car if you have multiple vehicles, then yes, I'd suggest an aftermarket receiver. All personal preference. Heck, I don't even have satellite radio because I think it's a waste of money currently.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Oooh... the never ending debate over Sirius vs. XM. Yes, it does matter... for now. But things may change if the merger gets approved (one more FCC vote to go: http://www.orbitcast.com)

Here's the differences:
Sirius: more chatter and cheesiness on the music stations, repetitive play-lists, Howard Stern, NFL, NASCAR, Martha Stewart

XM: Much better music stations, more variety, deeper play-lists, Opie & Anthony, MLB, NHL, Oprah Winfrey.

I've been a subscriber of XM for six years and Sirius for four years. I have a Sirius radio in my truck because it works for free, and I have an XM Delphi Xpress RC in the MINI because I like XM better and this radio has some cool features.
I agree the XM music offerings are much better. If you are going aftermarket using the aux input, I'd go XM. XM also will have a better signal, their satellites are geosynchronous, as opposed to the sirius roving constellation.

I'm pretty bummed out about the merger. It is tied 2-2 in the FCC with one vote that looks to be a yes to go. I had hoped for a no. At least they are getting fined 20 million for some repeater violations and also getting a wrist slapped for not developing common radios as promised. When the merger goes through I may cancel all three subscriptions I have with XM.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by glangford
XM also will have a better signal, their satellites are geosynchronous, as opposed to the sirius roving constellation.
I believe you mean geostationary, not geosynchronous. Both XM and Sirius use geosynchronous orbits, meaning they match the revolution of the Earth. XM uses geostationary satellites versus Sirius using a tundra orbit. In reality, this slight distinction has no effect on signal strength for a listener, especially considering digital radio is either there or not. You don't get static, but if there's a disruption, that's it.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM
bruleto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
I agree the XM music offerings are much better. If you are going aftermarket using the aux input, I'd go XM. XM also will have a better signal, their satellites are geosynchronous, as opposed to the sirius roving constellation.

I'm pretty bummed out about the merger. It is tied 2-2 in the FCC with one vote that looks to be a yes to go. I had hoped for a no. At least they are getting fined 20 million for some repeater violations and also getting a wrist slapped for not developing common radios as promised. When the merger goes through I may cancel all three subscriptions I have with XM.
If you're a fan of satellite radio then why would you not want the merger to go through? Without the merger, one of them will go under. Most likely XM based on there cash/debt situation. Why would they develop common radios before the merger? They common radio topic came up when they announced the merger more than a year ago. They're not going put in the R&D without knowing if the merger gets approved.

It's disgusting how the terestial radio lobbyists have influenced the powers-that-be to delay approving this merger so long; thereby, pushing these companies to the brink of bankruptcy.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I'm for the merger because I don't want either company to go under since I'm a fan and a shareholder. My only fear is that we might see more Sirius influence on the XM programming, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that they will keep the music offerings separate.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 AM
bruleto
1st Gear
I'm for the merger because I don't want either company to go under since I'm a fan and a shareholder. My only fear is that we might see more Sirius influence on the XM programming, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that they will keep the music offerings separate.
I've read quite a bit regarding the merger and there's definitely going to be a consolidation of music stations...they're not going to have two 80s stations. I've never had XM so I can't speak to it, but I've been really happy with Sirius. I heard that XM does not repeat as much but it's not commercial free anymore since they signed that rediculous agreement with, I believe, ClearChannel.

Since Sirius is buying out XM and the CEO of Sirius will head up the merged company, I imagine more Sirius stuff will be staying but who really knows.

They're smart people...so I'm sure they will take the best aspects of both companies.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by bruleto
They're smart people...so I'm sure they will take the best aspects of both companies.
And if not, the market will surely react, and we'll see someone else pop up to eat into their market share.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
I'm from Long Island so my vote is for Howard Stern.. err... I mean Sirius.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
bruleto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Anthony314
I'm from Long Island so my vote is for Howard Stern.. err... I mean Sirius.
I'm pretty sure Stern is the reason Sirius is buying out XM rather than the other way around.

Does anybody have experience with the Stiletto 2 in the MINI? I've seen some comments in other threads but they always talk about hooking it up to an external antenna. Does it work with the antenna in the actual unit?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
I believe you mean geostationary, not geosynchronous. Both XM and Sirius use geosynchronous orbits, meaning they match the revolution of the Earth. XM uses geostationary satellites versus Sirius using a tundra orbit. In reality, this slight distinction has no effect on signal strength for a listener, especially considering digital radio is either there or not. You don't get static, but if there's a disruption, that's it.
Yea, thanks, I did mean geostationary. Still, the elliptical orbit is still a roving ground track and as such more prone to drop out, should that happen.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM
BunsenH
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lose Sirius a couple times a day (in the house with a stationary antenna) for about 15-20 minutes. Something about repositioning the satellites?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
I'm pretty sure Stern is the reason Sirius is buying out XM rather than the other way around.

Does anybody have experience with the Stiletto 2 in the MINI? I've seen some comments in other threads but they always talk about hooking it up to an external antenna. Does it work with the antenna in the actual unit?
I'm looking for a sirius radio for myself too. I've been a subscriber for about 2 yrs. I like the talk shows more than music channel.

Btw, which way is the best route for the antenna setup for MINI. I know that direct roof position is the best but I don't want a magnetic thing on the roof with black wire coming out. Plus it scratches the paint.
I've had it by the front dash on other cars but I did get cut-offs like 5x more.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
I heard that XM does not repeat as much but it's not commercial free anymore since they signed that rediculous agreement with, I believe, ClearChannel.
Actually, there are only four music channels that ClearChannel controls, and XM added four other music channels to offset them. So they still have more commercial free music channels (and a whole lot less talking on their music channels) than Sirius. The reason for the agreement in the first place was to get some financial backing from ClearChannel. I haven't kept up with the latest details over at XMFAN.COM, but that contract was supposed to expire at the end of this month. Guess I need to go find out what's happening.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
bruleto
1st Gear
Actually, there are only four music channels that ClearChannel controls, and XM added four other music channels to offset them. So they still have more commercial free music channels (and a whole lot less talking on their music channels) than Sirius. The reason for the agreement in the first place was to get some financial backing from ClearChannel. I haven't kept up with the latest details over at XMFAN.COM, but that contract was supposed to expire at the end of this month. Guess I need to go find out what's happening.
That's definitely good to know, thanks for the info. I have a month before I take delivery of my MCS so I have a little time to figure out what I'm going to do. Does anybody have experience with the XM portable devices? Would I get consistent signal with it sitting in my cupholder?

Decisions, decisions...

Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
I think it depends on what you're looking for.........if you're a Howard Stern fan, then the ONLY choice is Sirius. I had XM in my former car, now have Sirius. I mostly listen to the jazz channels and strongly prefer the playlists available on XM over Sirius. I went with Sirius because I could piggy-back on my wife's Sirius subscription in her car.........wish now I had paid more attention to Sirius's playlists, rather than just opting for the reduced cost.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Doc Cooper
Btw, which way is the best route for the antenna setup for MINI. I know that direct roof position is the best but I don't want a magnetic thing on the roof with black wire coming out. Plus it scratches the paint.
I've had it by the front dash on other cars but I did get cut-offs like 5x more.
Use the OEM antenna that's already on your car: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=122686

Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xqb3b
I think it depends on what you're looking for.........if you're a Howard Stern fan, then the ONLY choice is Sirius.
Interestingly enough, I was a HUGE Howard Stern fan from the age of 13 up until last summer. I just kind of stopped listening one day I guess. I've tried to listen a few times since but it doesn't appeal to me anymore. I stick to the music now.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Does anybody have experience with the XM portable devices? Would I get consistent signal with it sitting in my cupholder?

Decisions, decisions...
I've only used the Xpress RC, but my guess would be no, depending on where you drive. They have to have a view to the sky to get a sat. signal, or you have to be in a highly populated area to get a terrestrial signal. There is a ton of info and discussion available for each XM device over at http://www.xmfan.com

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio XM or SIRIUS radio