Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio iPod installation in a Cooper 2002

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 PM
btofias
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I hook up an Apple IPod to my Cooper 2002? It does not have a connection that I am aware of. bt

Old 08-26-2003, 06:46 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Only way on an 02 is to use an FM transmitter, or get an aftermarket head unit that has an AUX jack built in.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:02 PM
bobbybina
Neutral
>>How do I hook up an Apple IPod to my Cooper 2002? It does not have a connection that I am aware of. bt

Using an hardwired iPod in a 2002 Mini is very easy. I did this last year! Every Mini has a cd changer input in the trunk on the passenger side (that plastic door in the trunk on the right side). Open this compartment and you will see a CD changer connector. This is an Alpine type connector (for Alpine-type CD changers). Anyway, go to Blitzsafe.com and search for a converter for this connection in the car to a sereo RCA type connector. This add-on connector snaps onto the cd changer connection and turns it into a RCA style connector (with two female connectors). Then, go to Radio Shack (or similar place) and buy a wire that is approx. 8 feet where one end is male RCA type connector and the other end is a stereo mini jack. Connect this wire to the Blitzsafe connector and run it under the back seat and under the mats and under the front passenger seat to the front cup holder. Place you iPod in the cup holder and connect the stereo mini jack to the headphone jack on the iPod. Your CD/receiver will automatically recognize the connection when you switch from radio to cd and (now) to CD1-99. CD1-99 is the iPod.
Blitzsafe.com has a phone number you may call to get the special part without searching.
Enjoy.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
Bringing back an old thread...is there anyway to use the new icelink device to make the iPod controllable from the MFSW? I have a 7/02 build 'S'.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:36 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auxilliary Input

I had the Aux. Input installed upon purchase, and It works splendidly. I use my iPod, placed into the cup holder, and run a male-to-male headphone cable I purchased at Radio Shack from the iPod into the glove box, (where the dealer installs the Aux. Input). Luckily, the cable is very well hidden, as it goes behind the matte silver uprights in the mini. The glove box closes, neatly concealing the rest of the cable.

DON'T GO WITH AN FM TRANSMITTER!

Reason 1), if you commute long distances, or travel a lot, you have to continuously change the radio station on both the transimitter, and your radio, to find a station frequency that is not currently being used. This can be a major pain in a big city where there aren't many unused frequencies. Many FM transmitters only offer a limited number of frequencies that they broadcast in. That limits you even more. Not to mention that some are battery powered, and you have to always have extra batteries with you. Yuck.

Reason 2), With an FM transmitter, you are "cropping" your music! Look, a compact disc plays music from 20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz, as much as the human ear can audibly perceive. (Basically, really low thumping bass way up to super high treble like cymbal crashes, etc.) An FM radio station signal only transmits from approximately 200 Hz to 14,500 Hz (these are very rough numbers, I know, but it is in the ballpark here). This is a "cropped" signal. You're going to be missing out on the really thumping low bass tones, and the crystal clear high frequencies that your iPod's songs have.

There is one more option, if you have a cassette deck in your Mini. The Cassette adapter. It has a male headphone plug, connected to a wire, which then connects to a fake cassette. You put that into your cassette player and then just press play on your iPod. This gives you 100% of your frequencies, but is a bit on the inconvenient side, as you have a cable running into your radio the whole time--not that clean a look!

I recommend the Aux input, or the previous post's suggestion about hooking into the CD Changer port in the trunk area. That way, you'll get 100% of the frequencies of your music coming through, without any interuption!

Old 12-18-2004, 07:25 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skottoman
Bringing back an old thread...is there anyway to use the new icelink device to make the iPod controllable from the MFSW? I have a 7/02 build 'S'.
As I don't have my MINI yet, I don't know for sure, but looking through the Ice Link Plus threads, it looks like you can very easily control the iPod with the MFSW controls. Look through the Ice Link threads, you will probably find more info there

Old 12-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
But the problem is I don't think the 2002 head units are compatable with any sort of aux input?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:46 AM
Malia
Neutral
iPod and FM transmitter

I use an FM transmitter and absoutely love it. I purchased one that included a docking station at Best Buy, but didn't like the fit, so I returned it for the Monster FM Transmitter also purchased at Best Buy. It has 8 different options over which station you want to broadcast over, and it makes it so easy to bring it along in various cars.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:53 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skottoman
But the problem is I don't think the 2002 head units are compatable with any sort of aux input?
Contact Dension, they'll know for sure what will work and what won't. However the 2002 HU's are compatible with the CD changer, and I believe that is what the ICE Link will use in your car. I'm not 100% sure of that, but if you contact Dension they will work with you.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
Excellent idea! Thanks!