Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Which Bluetooth/USB iPod option??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Tank
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Bluetooth/USB iPod option??

Okay....I searched and found several threads that discuss specific iPod options but I didn't find any that clearly defined the differences in each factory-installed option in a single thread. The options are a bit confusing to someone who hasn't yet taken delivery of a car. For those of you with one of these options, please enertain my questions...

I ordered my '08 MCS here in Germany a few weeks ago and have an estimated build date the first week of August. I have another week to update my build specs and have been considering options for using my iPod classic in the mini. I don't plan on using any dealer-installed options due to the fact that the dollar is dosen't buy all that much against the Euro these days...so I'm limited to the following factory options (w/stock stereo, no Nav)

1) Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adaptor ($500)
or
2) Comfort Bluetooth with USB/iPod Adaptor ($1000)
or
3) Convenience package ($1500)

Questions...

A) Does the Convenience package include option 1 or option 2?
B) Can option 1 be controlled by the Multi-function steering wheel?
C) Where will the iPod adaptor be located in each of the options?
D) Do all three options allow the iPod to charge while playing?
E) What capabilities will I have with my iPod without any of the options above...via the Aux port?

Thanks,
Tank

Last edited by Tank; 07-05-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Apple
6th Gear
LOL mines not her yet, but ordered the conv package, was going to buy a ipod but i found out here you can use a USB flash drive....

Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me the biggest difference was the comort option comes with the centre armrest. I hate the centre armrest, so wouldn't order it no matter how much I wanted BlueTooth.
'
Originally Posted by Tank
I don't know, what does the description say?
Yes
With both you'll have USB/Aux jacks on the bottom of the radio, into which you can plug in the supplied Y-Cable and attach the iPod to the other end of the cable. The cable is too short to be much use, unless you get extensions, it'll only reach to the passenger footwell cargo net.

That's the advantage of the other option, you're not considering, the iPod is in the hidden compartment.
Yes.
E) What capabilities will I have with my iPod without any of the options above...via the Aux port?
You'll have all the capabilities the iPod has, the car has no control of the iPod, its just a way of getting the audio into the radio.

I find a simple third party solution like the Griffin Auto pilot does a better job of being an iPod adapter than the factory solutions do. I find the factory solutions to be mainly just annoying, you gain control from the radio or MFSW, but you lose the best feature of the old adapter. The old one just started playing when you started the car and stopped when you stopped. The new one has the annoying habit of starting the iPod at the beginning of the song, if you make lots of short trips you hear the same song over and oner.

I wouldn't have bothered with the factory solution for Shawn, if it hadn't have come free with the bluetooth option. I use the AutoPilot in Tristan instead of the dealer installed adapter.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:13 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Option2 - Comfort Bluetooth
Yes it works with both options.
The adaptor is actually a cable that is included with either USB option. It plugs into both the USB port and the Aux port and gives you full use of your Ipod through the radio controls and MFSW.
Yes.
With the Aux port you will not be able to control your Ipod with radio controls.... i.e. selecting an album, artist or playlist.

You also might want to check out Schatzy's detailed post about the limitations of using a standard Ipod/USB cable... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&postcount=38

Old 07-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Tank
1st Gear
Thanks a bunch for the quick responses!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Tank
1st Gear
With regard to sound quality, is any option better than the other? For those with no Bluetooth/USB adapter, how is the sound quality through the Aux port?

Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
Are there any additional dealer charges for preparing any of these options?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howie289
Are there any additional dealer charges for preparing any of these options?
The dealer installed adapter has an installation charge, quite a big one. The others are factory installed and there should be no additional charge.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tank
With regard to sound quality, is any option better than the other? For those with no Bluetooth/USB adapter, how is the sound quality through the Aux port?
They sound good to me, they should be all the same as they're all a directly wired connection. You can get the same sound quality with the Aux-in as the others if you use an Aux out on the iPod, rather than the headphone socket. Basically you need something which connects to the dock connector of the iPod for the best sound.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got back from my first 450 mile run in the MCS (Astro) and I have the BT/iPod cable with the options. iPod mates just fine, but what I hate is it will NOT shut off when car is off.

The non Nav display is pretty tough to use too, lots of scrolling, and since we are new at this, it took some work. Much faster to have passenger manipulate iPod first, then we got it working fine.

Not great, but better than nothing.