Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio What is wrong with the Hi-Fi system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is wrong with the Hi-Fi system?

I am eagerly awaiting my Mini Cooper go from ON ORDER to SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION. I noticed a lot of people here complain about the HIFI system. Any reason why? I am assuming the biggest complaint here has to do with the Bass, something which I don't really need to be loud. I listen to mostly rock / alt rock music.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what the complaints are about the HIFI system. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
It's not the best for sure, but it's better than the regular one in my wife's MC. I've definitely owned better, (my Lincoln Navigator had a pretty decent sound system with a built in sub that sounded great. I love deep, crisp bass!) but the HiFi in my MCS does an adequate job. I think that's the main complaint from audiophiles, that it in fact is NOT adequate for their tastes, and I can see (hear) that. I thought about adding a sub, but I fought the urge. I may cave in later.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
the hifi system is not that great, it sounds alright at medium volumes, but totally gets distorted at higher volumes...its got poor midtones, lacks umff in the lows...its the type of system id expect stock in a car like this....save the $500 and if ur an enthusiast, spend that plus and upgrade yourself aftermarket

Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Well I already ordered it with the Hifi. Does a simple speaker change solve most distortion issues? I am not really into the bass. I just want clean sound.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
ya i would think a speaker change wouuld do it...tweeters are fine....amp is fine, speakers should change it...also, the car rattles like hell i mean if you have ANYTHIGN in the side compartments where the speakers are you ARE going to hear it shake when u play....

but thats where my dilemma was...if a speaker change will solve the problem....then did i just pay 500 dollars for a 150 watt amp?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fronjoni
the hifi system is not that great, it sounds alright at medium volumes, but totally gets distorted at higher volumes...its got poor midtones, lacks umff in the lows...its the type of system id expect stock in a car like this....save the $500 and if ur an enthusiast, spend that plus and upgrade yourself aftermarket
+1. It's not the bass. I can't stand thudding bass. It's the fact that the speakers are not "upgrade" quality and cannot handle any power. Mini would do well to offer a real hifi upgrade....

Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fronjoni

but thats where my dilemma was...if a speaker change will solve the problem....then did i just pay 500 dollars for a 150 watt amp?
No, you paid $500 for a 240 watt amp, plus the A pillar pods for the tweeters.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'm gonna have to scan the speaker replacement thread.... haha

Old 06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
lol, i stand corrected, but still not justified.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
IIRC, I read in owners lounge FAQ that the speakers are also different. Base speakers made by Philips and Hifi speakers by Harman.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
ppl complain cause its a waste of money. for the same amount of money you could get components up front, coaxials in the back and a small 4 channel amp and be lightyears ahead of the "premium hifi" system

Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by pentavolvo
ppl complain cause its a waste of money. for the same amount of money you could get components up front, coaxials in the back and a small 4 channel amp and be lightyears ahead of the "premium hifi" system
I'd like to see your receipts for component speakers up front (4), new coax's in back, and an amp all costing less than $500 (I don't think I'd want to listen to it though). And that says nothing about installation charges.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I'd like to see your receipts for component speakers up front (4), new coax's in back, and an amp all costing less than $500 (I don't think I'd want to listen to it though). And that says nothing about installation charges.
you're right, even wtih the right hook up it will end up costing you around 800 - 1000 dollars, but at least you'll have HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFIIIIII lol

all kidding aside, i am sure you can sit here and fiddle with numbers to mathematically justify the cost....but the bottom line is, does this system sound like a 500 dollar upgrade?

and the answer is as clear as those lovely speakers.....or is it? eghem....

Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
ill post it later tonite as i just discussed this with a forum meber and i guarantee you it would sound way better then hifi. i used to do car audio for a living. No I never said anything about install you are correct but it can be a diy job. With that said most ppl spend the 500 on the hifi and still find it lacking and will then spend money on top of that to upgrade

Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
My ears are obviously not as picky as everyone else here. I think the stock system sounds great.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
Everything linked here can be found on ebay for less. This will provide you with a really nice budget oriented system that will blow away stock systems in just about any car. Is it top of the line no, is it the cheapest stuff you can buy no. I find this setup to be a pretty nice setup and have done just this for a number of customers wanting nice sound on a budget.

Component speakers - Polk db6501
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nt+System.html

Rear Speakers - Polk db691 (6x9 coaxials)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio+db691.html

*personally I would put a 6.5" coaxial in the back and make a baffle out of 1/4 mdf for it. i find 6.5s to be much cleaner sounding but you will loose a little bass http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio+db651.html

4 channel Amp - pioneer 60wrms x 4
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+GM-6300F.html
this is actually a great amp at the price. i have a buddy whos been running the older model of this for 4 years now in his boat where its exposed to moisture and gets little airflow, its never shut off or hickuped once

Line out converter - 4 channel to get preouts for the amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...che+SLC-4.html

Speaker wire - 100ft of 16ga more then plenty
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...aker+Wire.html

8ga wiring kit - with 1 set of rcas
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...y+Scosche.html

Additonal set of rcas
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...y+Scosche.html

That comes out to 450 with shipping. If you were to use ebay you could probally do a bit better on pricing. This is for a decent system, this would be more then enough for 95% of people out there. Clearly there are people that need the best of the best and money is no object. This setup here would blow away the hifi or any other premium system for that matter.

Another option is to power the rears off the headunit or run no rears at all and add a small 10 or 12 sub in the back. In our camaro I run basically the same setup just with a 10" sub in the back and the rear speakers ran off the headunit and with the ttops out and cruising down the highway its plenty loud and nice solid bass with the 10" sub in the back. Could have I gone crazy with big amps and highend speakers yes but the install was on a tight budget at the time

I am no way affiliated with sonicelectronics but I have used them a number of times and never an issue and would recommend them to anyone. Obviouslly you dont have to get a pioneer amp or polk speakers but to me its a great bang for the buck setup and you would be hard pressed to do better for the same money

Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 PM
artsmini
2nd Gear
I replaced the stock speakers in the doors with Infinity Kappas. The sound is much better, but still not what i would classify as a "Hifi Upgrade" quality sound. My S-10 pickup still sounds better. (Pioneer head unit, infinity speakers, and infinity basslink sub) Overall though, I am satisfied with the speaker upgrade, and probably won't add an amp or sub to the MINI.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 PM
static
Neutral
what if i kept the stock HiFi Amp and just replaced the speaks with the polks? would that be 80% better?
i'm probably going to lease my mini and don't want to spend anymore $$$ than need be.
thanks!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
it woudl be a nice improvement. dont expect it to be much louder at all but it will be much cleaner sounding. as far as getting more bass output you prly wont pick up any bass output though

Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by static
what if i kept the stock HiFi Amp and just replaced the speaks with the polks? would that be 80% better?
i'm probably going to lease my mini and don't want to spend anymore $$$ than need be.
thanks!
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I don't need the most amazing sound in the world, but I would want something clear sounding. It doesn't need to be that loud and it doesn't need that much bass.

Any recommendations for just a speaker upgrade? I was checking out crutchfield.com but got pretty confused..

Old 06-17-2008, 04:31 AM
CDMINI
5th Gear
"Paper" cone speakers, even on the premium stereo, right? Just more of them...

Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
yup premium is same crappy quality paper speakers just 2 more and a small amp

Old 06-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Anthony314
2nd Gear
pentavolvo, those speakers you recommended. How would you think they sound if I don't upgrade the amps? I am leaning towards just doing a speaker replacement. Any suggestions? You seem to know your stuff!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear
it would deff be a big improvement. It wont get any louder then the current speakers but will sound much better. Let me dbl check on what ohm the factory hifi speakers are because if they are 2 ohm, and these are 4which is what most aftermarket is you might loose a big of volume

being that you have a hifi adding an amp would be pretty easy since im sure the amp pinout is on here somewhere

Last edited by pentavolvo; 06-17-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
stan11003
2nd Gear
Hey has anyone seen this article on motoringfile.com?
http://www.jwardell.com/mini/hkdoor.html

It tells you how to stop the rattles and reduce the noise

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio What is wrong with the Hi-Fi system?