Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Bluetooth mic volume increase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
peet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth mic volume increase?

Is there any way to increase the volume for the mic so that people on the other end can hear me better? That is the most common complaint I hear when using this "I can't hear you very well...."

Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure which side the microphone is on the clubman's, but US cooper owners have moved their's from the passenger to the driver side.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...oth+microphone

Old 05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
k6rtm
4th Gear
Yup, moving the microphone makes an incredible amount of difference! For some Bavarian reason, the microphone points at the passenger! It takes about five minutes to move it to the driver's side.

Pop off the cover plate, and you'll see the microphone -- rectangular thing with a wire off the back, on the right side. It wants to be on the left side!

Moving the microphone is easy; moving the damn wire is the hard part -- I have a good assortment of tools, so I pulled the panel out (two torx screws? Might have been phillips, but I think they were torx), moved the wire, and reassembled. Sounds much better!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by k6rtm
Yup, moving the microphone makes an incredible amount of difference! For some Bavarian reason, the microphone points at the passenger! It takes about five minutes to move it to the driver's side.

Pop off the cover plate, and you'll see the microphone -- rectangular thing with a wire off the back, on the right side. It wants to be on the left side!

Moving the microphone is easy; moving the damn wire is the hard part -- I have a good assortment of tools, so I pulled the panel out (two torx screws? Might have been phillips, but I think they were torx), moved the wire, and reassembled. Sounds much better!
For British mini drivers, it would be the right, correct side.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Ryot
1st Gear
Also check the volume on your phone. I have an iphone and it took me a few rounds with my MC's Bluetooth controls before I realized that the separate Bluetooth volume on my phone was all the way down. Once I changed that, I had people telling me my mic was too loud!

I'm sure it varies phone to phone, but maybe try turning on the volume on the phone itself up while you are on a call?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryot
Also check the volume on your phone. I have an iphone and it took me a few rounds with my MC's Bluetooth controls before I realized that the separate Bluetooth volume on my phone was all the way down. Once I changed that, I had people telling me my mic was too loud!

I'm sure it varies phone to phone, but maybe try turning on the volume on the phone itself up while you are on a call?
Also have an iPhone, and increasing the phone's volume while on a bluetooth call in the car was the only way I could find to increase the volume of my voice on the other end. It seems to have worked, though.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
I did the MIC Switch from Passenger to Driver's side. In fact I asked the MA to have it done when car was prepped for delivery. And suggested he do it on all cars. He said he planned to.

But here is the issue. The blackberry is synced and works fine. Out bound voice is fine. Inbound volume is very low. The Blackberry says "Bluetooth Volume set to Low". But Verizon says Bluetooth Volume can't be adjusted on the phone. Does that make sense?

Is there something in setup to adjust the inbound voice volume? Turning the volume switch on the radio didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks, Finner

Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Finner
But here is the issue. The blackberry is synced and works fine. Out bound voice is fine. Inbound volume is very low. The Blackberry says "Bluetooth Volume set to Low". But Verizon says Bluetooth Volume can't be adjusted on the phone. Does that make sense?
Mine from verizon works fine and verizon is correct there is not bluetooth volume adjustments on the BB.

Originally Posted by Finner
Is there something in setup to adjust the inbound voice volume? Turning the volume switch on the radio didn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks, Finner
One Special (odd) thing with the mini bluetooth is that teh incoming volume can only be adjusted durring a call when someone is speaking to you. Adjusting any other time does nothing. So my first suggestion is to have someone call you and ask them to speak to you repeating a sentance if needed an dthen adjust the volume control. Tha should do what you need.

If this dow not wokr come back and let me know and i will try to help you with other remote posibilities

Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
On my BB Curve from sprint (same as Curve from Verizon 8330), when connected to BT in my 08 MCS, volume is automatically set at "middle" I do want to increase the volume and cannot adjust. I had my radio volume **** all the way to the right

BTW, i did the channel swap of my speakers. BT only comes from the back since channels are swapped. Since the rear speakers are worse than 1990 OEM Civic speakers, the sound becomes all buffled. I may just swap the channels back but i will lose the little thump thump sound... My 4runner has better speakers than this POS speakers.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Doc Cooper
On my BB Curve from sprint (same as Curve from Verizon 8330), when connected to BT in my 08 MCS, volume is automatically set at "middle" I do want to increase the volume and cannot adjust. I had my radio volume **** all the way to the right
That may be but the volume will only adjust while the other party is speaking. So have someone call you and repeat a sentence a few times while you rotate the volume control. If the other end is not speaking the volume does not change if the control is rotated. Strange how it works that way but that is what they do.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
We noticed that if there is any pause as the other person speaks the volume doesn't adjust. But as Shatz states, have someone continuously speak and you will definately be able to increase the volume and hear better. Worked for me!

Thanks Schatzy!

....Finner

Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
bonehead04
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
That may be but the volume will only adjust while the other party is speaking. So have someone call you and repeat a sentence a few times while you rotate the volume control. If the other end is not speaking the volume does not change if the control is rotated. Strange how it works that way but that is what they do.
That is completely retarted if that's truly the case. I'll give it a try next time I get a call, but why is it that simply turning the **** (whether someone is speaking or not) doesn't adjust the volume?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
Bonehead,

Who knows why! I just followed advice given by Schatzy and it worked. When someone is speaking, I can adjust the volume up or down. If they are on the line but silent, adjusting the volume seemed to do nothing. I wasn't concerned about why...I was just glad to get the issue resolved.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bonehead04
That is completely retarted if that's truly the case. I'll give it a try next time I get a call, but why is it that simply turning the **** (whether someone is speaking or not) doesn't adjust the volume?
It is do to the fact that the bluetooh volume, radio volume, cd volume, etc can all be adjusted seperately. It is not noticed on radio, cd etc as those have a continuous stream of sound even if it is radio static.

And that is jsut the way it works on BMW's and MINI's

Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Ha, this is the biggest complaint I've had with my car, 2nd to the terrible OEM speakers.

This forum is awesomeI'm doing that swap of the mic today.

Schatzy you have provided a lot of us with some great information about our cars and mods we can do to improve things. Thanks again for being valuable contributor

Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
austex
2nd Gear
I also find that with the fan on anything above the lowest setting, there is wind-noise interrference form the dash-top vent. Whenever my wife calls from her Clubman and I can't hear well, I remind her to turn the fan down.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Not sure which heating control system you have but i have the fully automatic climate controls and never have wind noise from the dash center vent until i take it off automatic and send all the venting to the windshield. Even at that no one has complained about the sound or lack of quality.

Have you moved the Microphone yet? It comes from teh factory with it mounted on the passenger side. That makes a very very very large difference as well.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
I swaped the mic today and it does seem to help quite a bit. I want to spend some time trying to tweak levels from the phone. I think the problem I run into is that because I am tall, I sit quite a ways from the mic. It seems to be very sensitive to the difference because when I drive with the kids (and I sit farther forward) my wife doesn't seem to have the same issues hearing me on my phone.