Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS delay & cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:27 PM
RR Hounds
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS delay & cutout?

I've got two issues with my factory installed Sirius. The first is the delay when changing channels. When I change channels there is a 3 second delay where the screen goes blank and there is no audio. Totally annoying.

The second, slightly less annoying, issue is how easily it cuts out. If I go under an overpass, a pedestrian bridge, etc, the signal cuts out.

I've had an aftermarket XM receiver in my other vehicle for years. There is no delay when changing channels and unless I'm driving under a canopy of trees, or downtown among the highrises, the signal doesn't cut out. I understand it needs line of site, but come on, it should be able to handle going under an overpass without losing signal.

I've talked to my BIL who has Sirius in his Ford and he hasn't experienced either of these problems.

Is this something I have to live with, or does anyone know if there is a fix?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I posted something similar about the Sirius in my car a few months ago. It's the first time I've had satellite radio before. Some of the time it works under trees, other times just a thin branch and it cuts out. I basically just use it when "in the middle of nowhere" and haven't anything else to listen to. The sound quality is lacking as well. It almost sounds as good as mono. Regular FM stations sound fuller and have better response than Sirius to my ears.

I never found a fix for the cutting out.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
All satellite radio systems are subject to interference from something blocking the signal, even brief blockages.

However, the way that the companies try to fight against this is by putting "ground repeaters" in for high traffic areas, near cities, etc. They basically "bounce" the signal sideways at ground level, in order to keep the signal strong for you.

The thing is, XM & SIRIUS have repeaters deployed in different areas, at different strengths, etc. So you'll find that in some areas, SIRIUS is more of a problem than XM, and in other areas, XM is more of a problem than SIRIUS.

Your friend with the Ford - does he drive the same routes you do? It would be more interesting to see if you both drive the exact same route and compare experiences. It's certainly possible that the receiver equipment installed can make a difference too... but if you're driving on different routes, it doesn't really say much because there's too many variables.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a dealer installed Sirius radio. The long delayed audio package was not available when my 07 MCS was built courtesy of Mini's POOR new model intro.

The only cutout I have experienced is when under a canopy such as at a gas station getting gas. There is also a short delay (a few seconds tops) in receiving a station after selecting it. When I subscribed Sirius gave me the option of eliminating this delay by paying a couple bucks more a month. I declined - it's not a biggie.

I love my radio and think it sounds great. I wonder how I got along with FM and its constant ads and chatter.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
RR Hounds
2nd Gear
I understand about the blockages and radio cutting out. That is the less annoying problem. And your answers here matched what I was figuring.

But the first issue I mentioned was the delay when changing stations. That is much more annoying to me. Does everyone experince a 3 second delay when changing channels? Or is it just me?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BMBULBE
I have a dealer installed Sirius radio. The long delayed audio package was not available when my 07 MCS was built courtesy of Mini's POOR new model intro.

The only cutout I have experienced is when under a canopy such as at a gas station getting gas. There is also a short delay (a few seconds tops) in receiving a station after selecting it. When I subscribed Sirius gave me the option of eliminating this delay by paying a couple bucks more a month. I declined - it's not a biggie.

I love my radio and think it sounds great. I wonder how I got along with FM and its constant ads and chatter.
You have to pay Sirius for the privilege of not having a delay?? That sucks. Glad I stuck with a portable xm unit in the aux port. Hopefully the FCC will kill the merger.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by glangford
You have to pay Sirius for the privilege of not having a delay?? That sucks. Glad I stuck with a portable xm unit in the aux port. Hopefully the FCC will kill the merger.
I've never heard anything about "pay extra for no delay" before, and I've been a SIRIUS subscriber for several years now.

There is a short delay in changing stations on my 1st Gen MINI's OEM SIRIUS receiver, but I don't think it is 3 seconds. I'll have to time it sometime soon.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 AM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
Hopefully the FCC will kill the merger.

That ain't gonna happen!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
I've noticed similar delays and cutouts on mine as well. We have a Sportster 5 in my wifes MCSa and we do not have the issues with it cutting out like we do my OEM unit so I do not think it is an issue with one providers repeater locations versus another providers locations.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DyeLooper
That ain't gonna happen!
All may not be well in merger land:

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.p...ases&item=1575

I can at least hope.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
ANT818
3rd Gear
My cuts out more than it plays. It's a big bummer.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
poyzin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
I posted something similar about the Sirius in my car a few months ago. It's the first time I've had satellite radio before. Some of the time it works under trees, other times just a thin branch and it cuts out. I basically just use it when "in the middle of nowhere" and haven't anything else to listen to. The sound quality is lacking as well. It almost sounds as good as mono. Regular FM stations sound fuller and have better response than Sirius to my ears.

I never found a fix for the cutting out.
I have been a regular listener to Sirius for years. My other car has had one of their original Sportsters and it's interface is much nicer than the MINI built-in unit. The antenna is a strange phenomena. I can be parked in my garage and still pick up the signal through the factory MINI antenna but going under a tree in the front of my house interupts reception. I strongly disagree that the sound quality is worse than FM. Of course, the compression decreases the dynamic range but a digital, static free signal more than makes up for that loss. I get VERY good seperation and "good enough" sound quality but I agree that the delay makes browsing the stations very difficult. I pretty much leave it on "Coffee House" most of the time.

I am interested in knowing more about the statement regarding getting rid of the delay by paying a few bucks more. Has anyone else heard of this? It doesn't seem to make sense since there is no delay in my Sportster like there is in the MINI unit and they are on the same subscription.

poyzin

Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Sound quality is very subjective. I wish Sirius in my Mini sounded as good as the other music sources in the car. For some reason it just doesn't. I've had a couple passengers comment on it as well. I get Sirius with my sat TV and it sounds just fine through that. I'll have to listen in another vehicle sometime. I would still get the option though as I don't like carrying a bunch of CDs or an mp3 player. I like so many types of music it's easier to listen to the radio or satellite radio. I like variety.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
poyzin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Sound quality is very subjective. I wish Sirius in my Mini sounded as good as the other music sources in the car. For some reason it just doesn't. I've had a couple passengers comment on it as well. I get Sirius with my sat TV and it sounds just fine through that. I'll have to listen in another vehicle sometime. I would still get the option though as I don't like carrying a bunch of CDs or an mp3 player. I like so many types of music it's easier to listen to the radio or satellite radio. I like variety.
Yeah, it's kind of strange. Conventional wisdom seems to be thrown out the window. My Ipod songs (sampled at 128) through the AUX port sounds much better than CDs do. How can you explain that?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
CD quality varies greatly. Ever notice how some CDs have tons of bass and others don't? Or how some have really good mids and crystal clear highs and others sound muddy? It depends how well the engineer who recorded the original music did their job.