Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Best XM Unit For R56 Cubby?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Best XM Unit For R56 Cubby?

While waiting for my Mini to arrive, (currently near the Azores), I'm thinking about XM. I have a Roady on my Beetle and a Sportscaster on my Mazda3. I like the direct access to channels on the Roady a lot better than the Sportscaster, but the Sportscaster fits entirely into the ash tray (which has a cover) on the Mazda3 so the cover can be closed. The red also matches. I've gotten used to the user interface (not using remote).

What would be the dimensions for the cubby, for XM unit purposes? Has anyone put a unit other than the Sportster in the cubby?

Thanks.

PS: I've been reading as many XM threads I can find for the R56, and it looks like there are mixed reviews for using the Sirius antenna lead. Should I even try? I'm fairly north and found with my previous two installations that an exterior location is best.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get one of the home kits that includes the little stand for the Roady and the remote, the Roady on that stand fits perfectly in the cubby as long as you have 90* plugs on all 3 wires. I did that for a while before getting a Proclip for my Roady.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Thanks. I used a piece of wood painted black and velcro to fill up the space and attach the unit in my Mazda setup. Is the cubby that tall? As I recall, the stand on my old RoadyII was not too short. The important thing is that the Roady will fit in the cubby.

May I ask why you went with the Proclip? Access to the Roady's buttons? With a spacer you could bring it out til it was flush with the rest of the stack.

And, can I ask you one more question? What should the ends of the smb cable be? I'm not sure whether you would call the antenna plug going into the Roady male or female. The sirius antenna connection under the seat requires a male or female plug on the wire?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
I got the Proclip because I like to use my cup holders once in a while. I also change channels enough on the Roady that it was uncomfortable looking all the way down there and back up while driving.

The end of the Sirrus cable under the seat would plug right into the side of the Roady. That means you need one of each on opposite ends. Which end needs to be the 90* one for the head unit I wouldn't know. I went back to the XM antenna stuck on the roof behind the stock one for the Roady. On the Carputer the one under the seat plugs right into the XM tuner so I'll just leave it under the seat and run the USB cable to the computer itself.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
It's all a tradeoff, I guess. I'm mostly listening to either MLB or the Loft, and my wife is usually the one who's interested in the artist name.

Sounds like you didn't like the reception? Maybe not worth the trouble, or could the cable type (impedence?) be a factor? I have the little antenna mounted behind the rooftop antenna in both my Beetle and Mazda3. I used the signal strength mode on the unit and placing my car to the points of the compass and found that mounting it outside really made a difference.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I wonder how this would look? http://store.xmfanstore.com/roadyxt.html
The center stack is silver, right, and the color is switchable to orange, I think.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
The center stack is silver, right, and the color is switchable to orange, I think.

That's what I have, I just set it in the passenger cup holder angled toward me.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 AM
PDM-DC
2nd Gear

I have that. It fits perfectly in the center cubby; I used a "Lo-Boy" mount, which also fits nicely into the cubby (and cannot be seen behind the Roady XT). The only problem with this setup is that plugging the included power adapter into the cigarette lighter blocks most of the memory buttons. The solution (which I've done) is to get a power adapter from XMfanstore.com and hardwire it into either your cig lighter or into an Add-a-Circuit.

The display is switchable to orange. It is not BMW/MINI orange (it is much redder than that), but it is close enough. The Sportscaster (which I have in my BMW) is almost dead-on perfect in color, but I don't like not having the buttons.

Overall, I am pleased with the mount and setup. It is reasonably clean, does not look terribly aftermarket, and allows me to use both of my cupholders. However, it is a bit difficult to access the tiny buttons on the XM all the way down in the cubby (especially when wearing gloves), and the display is also mounted low enough that it is difficult to read with a quick glance.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
pdm,
Is that lowboy mount on this page?: http://store.xmfanstore.com/moandinto.html

Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best XM Unit For R56 Cubby?-s6300176.jpgI have installed the AGT Sportscaster, it fits quite well within the cubby and has an orange backlight which matches the factory instrument lighting. I'm not sure these are still available for sale but a search of the internet or eBay might bear some fruit. I'll try to embed a photo, it's not a great one but if you look hard you can see the unit tucked into the back of the cubby.

Last edited by kukaepe; 02-22-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I have a Sportscaster as well. A photo would be great. XM is still giving them away with a new subscription for existing customers.

Is there any way to see the display at all being way back in the cubby?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
In reading, it looks like the RoadyXT requires a dock. Wouldn't that take up some space?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Brewmeister
3rd Gear
In reading, it looks like the RoadyXT requires a dock. Wouldn't that take up some space?
I have this unit in my 06, the docking station isn't that big. I attached the unit to the dash with velcro, making it a breeze to move if needed. I seldom change the channel, so having the unit out in the open didn't really matter and you have to look twice to see it in the car. I'll see if I have a pic I post when I get home from work.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Thanks.
I've been also thinking about the secret compartment on the R56 but that is roughly DIN sized and would require something like the Sportscaster or Commander MT.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
takrdown
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Can we see some pics of these installs?

Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Brewmeister
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by takrdown
Can we see some pics of these installs?
Right side of the steering wheel, very clean and most people don't even know its there!

Last edited by Brewmeister; 02-22-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Thanks for the pics. Another thing to think about!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
PDM-DC
2nd Gear
pdm,
Is that lowboy mount on this page?: http://store.xmfanstore.com/moandinto.html

Yes, the ProFit one.

The XT does require a dock, but it is very small compared to, e.g., the SkyFi. It fits fine in the cubby.

I will try and take some pics this weekend.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Thanks very much.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
PDM-DC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PDM-DC
Yes, the ProFit one.

The XT does require a dock, but it is very small compared to, e.g., the SkyFi. It fits fine in the cubby.

I will try and take some pics this weekend.
Here is a pic of the XM Roady XT in the cubby of the Mini, as it sits in its dock mounted to the ProFit Lo-Boy mount. The XMfanstore voltage converter is actually velcroed behind the Roady unit, with the wire running underneath the console to the cigarette lighter. It is essentially invisible unless you look closely.

Attached Thumbnails Best XM Unit For R56 Cubby?-xm.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have several posts on my Sportcaster Xm install. It is small and fits nicely in the area above the cubby. It has a remote that I use exclusively to toggle between stations. I use the OEM sat antenna connection and have excellent reception.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Both look great!
With the Sportscaster mounted on the top of the cubby, is there till room to put some small objects under it?
Can the Roady be taken out of its dock without too much trouble to bring inside?
Having both the Sportscaster and the Roady in my other cars I can say that the buttons on the Roady are definately nice but then so is the low profile of the Sprotscaster.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mount it (sportscaster) close to the bottom of the toggles, you can still use the cubby for odds and ends.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Thanks.
It is too bad to waste all that space on a car that needs all the space it can get.
It's a little hard to see, but it looks like the wires on your Sportscaster have a fair amount of room-probably needing only that rubber nub's height to make the turn with right-angle jacks.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
In the interest of documenting the process, ( ), below is a picture of the ProClip Lo-Boy mount.
Another thing I just thought about is that the big plug with the speaker that Garmin uses for my nav unit (2710) would probably do run some interference as far a button access goes. Might have to add another outlet, geez.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Best XM Unit For R56 Cubby?