Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio How to: move the Bluetooth microphone

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to: move the Bluetooth microphone

A few people have commented on how the microphone for the Bluetooth phone kit is on the wrong (passenger) side of the car in the US. A few others have moved it to the correct side. I decided to do just that yesterday and thought that I would post some pics. It's a pretty easy mod and I hope that it is just as easy to follow along.

1. The first step is to remove the trim piece that covers the microphone (the one in front of the switch pack. To do this, simply run a spudger or small flathead screwdriver between the trim piece and the headliner. A small amount of prying may be necessary, but not so much that you would damage either piece. The microphone itself is mounted to this piece. It is simply held in place by a small tab. Release the tab and pull towards it then up. You will also want to remove the wire that connects to the microphone

2. The next step is to remove the holder underneath the trim piece. This is the plastic part that also houses the switch pack. It is held in place by two star shaped screws (I forget what they are called) and six tabs. After removing the two screws simply push the tabs toward the middle of the console and pull down.

3. After you have lowered the switch pack, simply re-route the cable to the left side of the piece. I routed it through the larger hole in the photo to ensure that the wire was long enough to reach the microphone without being too tight.

4. Now it's time for re-assembly. Re-mount the switch pack by sliding the switch side in first, making sure that the front tabs catch the ring above the headliner. Snap in the six tabs around the rest of the piece and replace the screws. Plug the wire into your newly right-sided microphone and snap the trim piece back into place.

Don't forget to check to make sure everything works before you motor again! Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schatzy62 posted a video down the page a little bit (post #34) that details how to do this mod. I've gone ahead and posted it up here for everyone's convenience. Thanks Schatzy!

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by COOP310; 02-25-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added video by Schatzy62
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (05-21-2022)
Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 PM
lukeinjax
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this have any effect on how well the mic works, or was it simply an annoyance having it on the wrong side?

Last edited by lukeinjax; 01-06-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lukeinjax
Does this have any affect on how well the mic works, or was it simply an annoyance having it on the wrong side?
People have complained about the phone sounding a bit hollow. Moving the mic closer to your mouth (although only slightly) seems to make a difference.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
lukeinjax
2nd Gear
Cool. Thanks for the writeup. I'll have to bookmark this one for when I get my MINI.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
funkdaddy
2nd Gear
How much extra room is in that trim piece? Think I could fit my EZPass in there?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
That's an interesting idea! it wouldn't fit between the trim piece and the holder, but it might fit on top of the holder.

If you try this, let me know if it works!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Plaz
3rd Gear
I'll be sure to take care of this when taking that assembly down to hardwire my V1.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
ExpatBiker
2nd Gear
is there a way to simply turn up the gain on the microphone, or to get a better microphone? that would prolly be more effective than just moving it a few inches.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM
ExpatBiker
2nd Gear
one bump and i'll shutup.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Chuck W.
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coop310... Many thanks. Took care of this problem this morning. Your photos and instructions were perfect.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ExpatBiker
is there a way to simply turn up the gain on the microphone, or to get a better microphone? that would prolly be more effective than just moving it a few inches.
I haven't noticed anything in the NAV setup menus, so I doubt it. Seems like installing a new mic would be much more work than changing location.

I think it isn't so much the few inches that make the difference, rather the orientation of the opening in the housing.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 AM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
A quick post...
I did this 2 weeks ago by only removing the cover part. I didn't need to remove the holder under the trim piece. It took 3 minutes to do and I'm no longer repeating every sentence twice when talking to people. If you or someone you know has small fingers you don't need to do anything but pop off the cover piece (no tools required) and re-route the wire. It's worth the 3 minutes it takes to do this and kind of boggles me now why the dealer/VDC/Oxford can't take the 2 minutes to do it themselves.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (05-21-2022)
Old 02-15-2008, 01:27 PM
brian.dayton
Neutral
European vehicles have steering wheel on the right side. Wonder if that has anything to do with the mic being installed on the right side. /hmmm

:-) I plan to pull the whole housing out so I can try to sound-proof it some as it rattles a lot from the upgraded audio system.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Plaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by brian.dayton
European vehicles have steering wheel on the right side.
Only in the UK.

But that's the MINI's heritage. Even though at this point it's really a bratwurst in banger's casing.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
chinq6t
2nd Gear
Question: How do you remove the mic from the wire?

Old 07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chinq6t
Question: How do you remove the mic from the wire?
It's a connector clip. Just use a small blade screwdriver and some finesse to work it out, it will come, just takes some patience.
Moving the mic makes a difference
Good Luck

Old 07-13-2008, 06:10 PM
reyd1
4th Gear
Did this to our MINI too! sounds a lot better too!

Sticky this please!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, great little free mod. People were complaining that I sounded so far away. Did this last night and what an improvement. Thanks for taking the time to write it down so we could do this so easily.

Now, if i could take care of the "Phonebook is empty" message ...

Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 PM
joshK
4th Gear
Thanks for the writeup. What a great little 5 minute mod...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
How do you reroute the mic wire to the driver's side without removing the front cover? I don't want to mess with removing the 2 allen screws in the front piece as they're way deep in there. The wire seems too short to reroute without removing that front plate piece.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
dsand
1st Gear
Sweet! Was able to do it in 5 minutes. No screwdrivers needed. Thanks for the helpful info.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
How do you reroute the mic wire to the driver's side without removing the front cover? I don't want to mess with removing the 2 allen screws in the front piece as they're way deep in there. The wire seems too short to reroute without removing that front plate piece.
it's easy, ijust did it!

Just reach one finger in through the hole that will eventually have the wire running through it, and you can do it all without having to remove any screws.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
minicounter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LOP
It's a connector clip. Just use a small blade screwdriver and some finesse to work it out, it will come, just takes some patience.
Moving the mic makes a difference
Good Luck
OK so before I break something ... how much is on the clip for the wire? There seems to be a small clip piece and then a little larger part that runs partway down the side of the mic.

BTW thanks for the detailed tips... Even a NOOB like me to do-it-yourself mods is willing to try...

Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I did this!! Super easy. I was able to remove the cover by hand, no tools! The mic 'box' pulled out pretty easy, but I was afraid to pull too hard on the wire clip... so I called my husband to help! He took a flap head screw driver and wiggled it out, and I threaded it to the other side and plugged it all back in. Very easy - and it really does make a difference in how others hear me. Before - a hollow- echo sound, After - they can't tell I am not on my phone!!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
minicounter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I did this!! Super easy. I was able to remove the cover by hand, no tools! The mic 'box' pulled out pretty easy, but I was afraid to pull too hard on the wire clip... so I called my husband to help! He took a flap head screw driver and wiggled it out, and I threaded it to the other side and plugged it all back in. Very easy - and it really does make a difference in how others hear me. Before - a hollow- echo sound, After - they can't tell I am not on my phone!!
Congratulations!! your a mod pro now
Sooo was it just the small part at the top that he took out or did it include a little more on the side of the mic?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to: move the Bluetooth microphone