Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio H/K amplifier malfunction & replacement part

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:35 AM
s21jb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H/K amplifier malfunction & replacement part

Hi,

I wonder how many Mini owners have experienced malfunction on the Harman/Kardon Power Amplifier?
I noticed intermittent malfunction on My 2003 Mini cooper H/K system within the first year of ownership. Occasionally I would not hear any music coming out of the system (the head unit seemed to be working) - only pops, thumps and whistles. The system usually revived itself the next time I turned on the ignition key. I tried to bring it to the attention of the dealer techs, but the problem was not reproducible and never got diagnosed. A few weeks back it happened again, only this time it will not fix itself. I end up with a dead entertainment system and out of warranty.
So I had the car diagnosed, which shows that the H/K PA is not being reported to be present on the bus. I wonder if this is a case of the actual PA unit failure or the iBus signal corruption? I do notice that the PA makes all kinds of noises (pops and whistles) even while the head unit is turned off. Could this be an indication that the PA ibus interface is not reading the ibus commands properly and turning itself on, while switching the input MUX to a unused source (not the headunit)? Or, could this failure mode be caused by internal ROM corruption (inflicted by ElectroStatic Discharge) sending the unit to a default reset state?
Anyone have an idea? - I would like share opinions/experience with the tech gurus on this site.
One more question: What is the part number(s) for the H/K power amplifier and is it interchangeable with a BMW 3 series (E46) amplifier?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
The HK amp has been known to die. Far more likely than a bus read error.
Not sure if it's interchangeable with the E46 unit.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:02 AM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
My DPSM had a severe short, that one dealer blamed on a bad install. The installing dealer claimed it was a bad battery ground at the firewall. That is after they found out I had recordings of the short, prior to that they kept saying they could not duplicate my concern. To get to your concern my unit did the same thing yours did, popped, whistled, roaring sounds. Also the unit worked intermittly, just like yours. The problem might not be what it seems. Any other problems, like the clock losing its setting, or weak battery?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
bimmerwork
1st Gear
the e46 hk amp will work, but not correctly... it does not recognize control input from the head unit and not all the channels will produce sound... i tried one from my wifes 2000 323ci in my 04 mcs... i'm still looking for a used hk amp- list price new is $760... good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
ModiMINI
1st Gear
WTB - H/K amp MCS 2004

s21jb,

I would also like to replace my HK amp (I just found out from service tech that the amp has failed).
I have a 2004 MINI Cooper S with the Harman Kardon system.
The head unit is fine, and I would be willing to replace my faulty amp with a used amp purchased from someone here on NAM.
Do you ever find a replacement amp?

Thanks,

-- MM

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
squideye
Neutral
I checked with the dealer on a 2003 HK amp and was told $984! I found a place that can get me a fefurbished for about $425 but not sure if I want to take that route
js@sonic.net

Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM
bimmerwork
1st Gear
hey, modimini, bimmerwork here... i finally found a hk amp through craigs list in orange county, ca... had to buy the head unit and speakers also to close the deal... only needed the amp, but beggars cant be choosers, so i paid $400 for the whole set-up including a blitz safe xm / hk integrater... all except the amp i will be selling.

and squideye... where did you find a place to repair the amp ???

Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM
squideye
Neutral
harmon kardon amp

I still have not found anyone to repair it. The place I found said thay can send me a refurished for $425. I may have to do this soon as "silence is NOT golden".

Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Krutis Karajas
Neutral
looking for h/k amp

I am also looking for an h/k amp.

Hey Squideye, who will sell you a refurbished amp?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 PM
montyformula1
1st Gear
Anyone w/updates on this issue? I too have this problem and dropping a grand on a new amp is not an option. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The part # is 65129146708. Pelican parts has the amp for $981

Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Found one here for $473 on MINI2.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
sohllee
1st Gear
My husband says we should bring a class action suit against Harmon Kardon (of course, we don't know how to go about it). I drive a 2003 MCS and haven't had music for weeks due to my amp.

Does anyone know if an HS 3755 would work, or will it affect the steering wheel controls?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
g iowamini
Neutral
I have a 03 MCS with a HK system. The rear speakers have constant static and very little sound. The front speakers work just fine. Like everyone else I believe the amp is bad. I haven't seen any new posts in a while on this. Any new information on amp replacement or purchasing one?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
herbie_53_guy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting rid of my hk

Im about to rip out my HK and opt for an aftermarket system. My Amp is 95 percent. The L/F channel is a little wonky, no static, just not amped.

I wanted to see if any one would be interested in it. Hows a $100 sound?

Mike

Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Some other post on this subject was from someone who claimed to have located a repair person for the h/k amp; the defect is thought to be in the 'trigger circuit' whatever that is. Haven't seen anything recently, though.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
sohllee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by herbie_53_guy
Im about to rip out my HK and opt for an aftermarket system. My Amp is 95 percent. The L/F channel is a little wonky, no static, just not amped.

I wanted to see if any one would be interested in it. Hows a $100 sound?

Mike
I bit the bullet and bought a new one, but thanks!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Liquid Yellow
3rd Gear
I just posted on nemini with the same issue...total silence, but all button functions appear on the surface to be working...CD audio dead & AM/FM audio dead...looks like amp went south. Does anyone have a schematic for the HK amplifier? At the prices I see quoted here I'm willing to dive into the guts of the amp and fix the problem if I can get my hands on a schematic. Can someone prepare me for where I'm going to find the amplifier once I tear my dash appart in my 04 MC?

Ed

Last edited by Liquid Yellow; 07-04-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add text
Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM
sohllee
1st Gear
My amp never went silent (until we took the fuses out), it crackled. Sorry, the wiring diagrams in the Bentley MINI Cooper book weren't that helpful - they don't take you into the amp. It did point out some of the wire color coding to the amp. It appeared to my husband that there was a small adapter board and then the amplifier board itself. If you figure out how to fix them, let me know. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 PM
sohllee
1st Gear
Also, my husband pulled the amp apart to view the amplifier board and there was no visible damage. The components are very miniaturized and the whole board is encapsulated in plastic, making it hard to probe. He thinks there should have been a class action suit because this has been a problem for a lot of people - mostly with 2003s, it seems. You would think Harmon Kardon would have been embarrassed and done something about them.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Liquid Yellow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sohllee
Also, my husband pulled the amp apart to view the amplifier board and there was no visible damage. The components are very miniaturized and the whole board is encapsulated in plastic, making it hard to probe. He thinks there should have been a class action suit because this has been a problem for a lot of people - mostly with 2003s, it seems. You would think Harmon Kardon would have been embarrassed and done something about them.
Hi sohllee,

Many thanks for responding to my post. Well obviously your husband has gone much farther with trouble shooting this issue than I have at the present time, but I would like to get to the same point that your husband has obviously reached.

How did your husband get to the "amplifier board"? Would he be willing to provide me with a detailed list of the steps he took? I have found several step by step instructions on getting the radio out of the dash, so he wouldn't have to repeat all of those steps (if they are needed). I'm very much interested in physically where the "amplifier board" is located and how he was able to get into it in order to observe all the components. If I can get to the level of viewing the internal components, there is a small chance that I might be able to isolate the faulty component (key words "small chance"). I ran a failure analysis lab for a satellite company for 47 years, so I'm right at home with these miniaturized components.

I look forward to hearing from you and your husband.

Ed

Old 07-05-2009, 08:25 AM
kazlot
4th Gear

I'm not sure if this is the answer your looking for, if it's not my appoligies, but the H/K amp is located in the boot on the passenger side. It's bolted to the fender behind the inspection door.

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by Liquid Yellow
Hi sohllee,

How did your husband get to the "amplifier board"? Would he be willing to provide me with a detailed list of the steps he took? I have found several step by step instructions on getting the radio out of the dash, so he wouldn't have to repeat all of those steps (if they are needed). I'm very much interested in physically where the "amplifier board" is located and how he was able to get into it in order to observe all the components.

Ed

Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Liquid Yellow
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kazlot
I'm not sure if this is the answer your looking for, if it's not my appoligies, but the H/K amp is located in the boot on the passenger side. It's bolted to the fender behind the inspection door.
Hope this helps...
Hi kazlot,
Well, it may not be the final answer, but it's a big step in the right direction. I just came back inside from out in the garage and was able to find the HK amp assembly as you detailed in your post. I got the one bolt out and one of the two screws. Unfortunately the second screw requires a screwdriver with a shank about 12" long. One of the few tools I don't have, but I can assure you I'll have one by end of day tomorrow.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ed

Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Liquid Yellow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kazlot
Hope this helps...
It helped tremendously. I just came in from the garage about 30 minutes ago and the HK Amp board is sitting on my desk in front of me. I've given it a quick examination using a 7X jewelers eye loupe and I see a large amount of crud/corrosion around the pins of the I/O connector on the PC board side (side opposite the connector). This is not a good observation as it has the appearance of water corrosion which you never want on PC boards. I'm bringing the board in to work with me tomorrow and will examine it under a microscope and determine the exact nature of the corrosion/contamination. Updates as they become available....

Ed

Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Liquid Yellow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Liquid Yellow
...I'm bringing the board in to work with me tomorrow and will examine it under a microscope and determine the exact nature of the corrosion/contamination. Updates as they become available....
Ed
Quick update...It definitely is corrosion and it has partially eaten through some of the pins going through the PC board. Making resistance measurements to see if there are any measureable shorts caused by the contamination...So WHERE did moisture come from???

Ed

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio H/K amplifier malfunction & replacement part