Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS is here

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS is here

I was emailed today by my MA and she said they have the dealer installed sirius but did not know the price for unit and labor. Should find out shortly. Good news for those of us waiting but my concern is that the price will be to high compared to a small unit from Best Buy, etc. I will pay a premium for the clean install and able to use the MFSW but I don't know if I can justify paying $500+ for the unit. Who knows I might change my mind. If I find out more I will report back. Agent 99 out.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the audio package and it's Sirius-4-life; is it the same for you folks that add it later?
The HD radio sounds better than the Sirius but the Sirius has more variety and you can travel cross-country listening to the same station...

Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
dlroto
3rd Gear
I'm waiting for this as well, I wonder how much they will charge?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by amazonracer
I don't know if I can justify paying $500+ for the unit
and then another $100 for programming! I think there have been several issues with the ipod software (just to enable the CDC interface).

I just added an XpressR to my R56. Routed the sat cable up to the rear sun roof. Works for me ... and it was only $100

Last edited by Paul; 09-08-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Rodfly
1st Gear
I'm scheduled for a Thursday morning install. The wait for Sirius is finally over.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Hey Rodfly, what are they charging you. I'm in California and I don't have a price yet. If its upwards of $900+ I may think twice and go to Best Buy for $150 and get a portable unit. It works great in my Honda but would really like the use of the MFSW with the unit.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:07 PM
MrVvrroomm
3rd Gear
Ok, here's the skinny. I have a copy of the bulletin in front of me right now.

Bulletin: M 65 01 07. Part number 65 11 0 432 322 msrp: $599

Suggested installation time is 1.5 hours. The parts guy at my dealer told me 3 hours. This was BEFORE he gave me a copy of the bulletin.

This price includes ONE year of Sirius service.

My dealer (Motorwerks, near Minneapolis) has 6 units in stock.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
dlroto
3rd Gear
could you scan and post the bulletin, so maybe we could bring it to our dealer so they don't overcharge witht the install.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
MrVvrroomm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dlroto
could you scan and post the bulletin, so maybe we could bring it to our dealer so they don't overcharge witht the install.
I don't have any way to scan it here at home. Just give them that number and ask them to print it for you. There is some legal-ese at the bottom of the bulletin that says: This document is confidential and should not be shared with third parties for distribution. I'm thinking they wouldn't want me to post a scanned copy of it.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:34 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
That's simply legal BS. Just post it. If you don't want to, then please send me a PM and I'll post it.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
MrVvrroomm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
That's simply legal BS. Just post it. If you don't want to, then please send me a PM and I'll post it.
I'll scan it at work...if I ever decide to go back. LOL

I've played hookie the last 2 days.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Rodfly
1st Gear
I was told told $599 plus 2-2.5 hours labor. We'll see. Also told it includes 1st year service.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 PM
dlroto
3rd Gear
sorry my bad, I guess I'll do what you said and get them to do it for me.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Is there different hourly rates from dealership to dealership or do they all charge the same. Are we looking at close to a grand to get this thing installed, less 12 months x $12 per month. Seems really high considering I could get a portable to do the same thing for $100 and I already have a subscription in my other so I can get the second one 1/2 price per month I think. Any thoughts on waiting a bit because the general market is pretty soft right now and maybe in a few months they would deal a little more on service/parts?.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:31 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Buy the unit from Classic MINI in Mentor, Ohio for $472 and then get your dealer to install it charging the 1 1/2 labor the directions say it will take.

Or, call your parts department and ask them if they'll match the Classic MINI price, and once again, get them to install it charging the 1 1/2 hours the directions say it's supposed to take.

I got it done this way, and I'm glad to finally have OEM Sirius again.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:51 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Sound quality not good

I had the opportunity to ride in a Dodge Avenger (rental car) this weekend. It was equipped with satellite radio. I was not impressed with the sound quality or the "dropout" factor in different areas. Even without the dropouts, the sound quality was, imo, pretty bad. More like listening to an AM radio. The friends who were traveling in this car all week said the quality never got much better, no matter what area they were in. I wouldn't spend money on this. Just my opinion from my experience.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
You're probably right surfblue. Since the satellite radio sounds poor in the Dodge Avenger, it probably sucks in the MINI too, so folks shouldn't spend money on it.

Makes complete sense to me, except that it sounds excellent in my MINI and I recommend it to anyone considering it.

I had the opportunity to drive a Dodge Avenger and the ride was pretty rough and it had lousy pick-up, so I wouldn't spend money on any automobile.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:52 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
My main reason for getting it is for Howard Stern. The sound is secondary and if I really want better sound I will use a CD. I have sirius in my other car and your right some of the drop outs are annoying but the sound is ok. I also have the stock radio and I think the sound is pretty good so what do I know.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
anyone know if a software update is needed or the dealer installed Sirius? Its about the only thing i did not get and now regreting.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
So you paid $950 just to listen to Howard Stern???

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by surfblue
I had the opportunity to ride in a Dodge Avenger (rental car) this weekend. It was equipped with satellite radio. I was not impressed with the sound quality or the "dropout" factor in different areas. Even without the dropouts, the sound quality was, imo, pretty bad. More like listening to an AM radio. The friends who were traveling in this car all week said the quality never got much better, no matter what area they were in. I wouldn't spend money on this. Just my opinion from my experience.
The sound quality is superb in with my factory installed Sirius unit. I'd say it is a minimum of CD quality.

Yes, there are some drop out areas if something gets in the way of the antenna (as with any satellite service) such as overpasses, trees, parking in a garage, etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
I can no longer live without sat radio, i am installing my s10 so i will stop having to listen to the stupid commercials and get back to Buzzsaw Ch 19.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
I actually don't have my oem sirius yet because the dealership does not seem to be set up yet. I have a portable in my Honda which costs $100 bucks. As for the $950.00 for Howard Stern, this is the best bargain in entertainment and with the commercial free music and other channels, its the best entertainment in the galaxy especially considering I almost live in my car.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I spent $650 installed which includes 1 year of service. And yes, after having Sirius in my previous two MCS's, I had to have it in this one. Commercial ready sucks.

The sound quality is nearly CD, and there's loads of choices. Highly recommended - just don't buy a Dodge Avenger.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 AM
VeryRedMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
I got the audio package and it's Sirius-4-life; is it the same for you folks that add it later?
The HD radio sounds better than the Sirius but the Sirius has more variety and you can travel cross-country listening to the same station...
I had Sirius added to my '06 MC, and although I enjoyed the programming, the reception was mediocre and the radio itself was difficult to use. My new '07 MCS (picked up yesterday, thank you very much!) has the factory Sirius, and it just kicks butt...perfectly clear reception and easy to use (once you've figured it out!) controls. That's just my experience...the difference is like night and day.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio SIRIUS is here