MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

Colorado Springs Motoring chapter of MINI5280 Official Activity Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 04:49 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Springs Motoring chapter of MINI5280 Official Activity Thread

MINI5280 has announced the formation of two new chapters this week. Unofficially, until the membership votes so, the officers of the club have decided to form new chapters as follows:
  • "Colorado Springs Motoring" a chapter of MINI5280.org
  • "Northern Colorado Motoring" a chapter of MINI5280.org
At this time, both chapters will make use of the MINI5280.org website and the MINI5280 and Rocky Mountain Event Calendars here in NAM.

In the meantime, please use this forum as a way to announce, discuss, and review events in the Colorado Springs Motoring chapter of MINI5280. There will be a separate new thread for Northern Colorado Motoring.

Thanks to all of you, this action is necessary and unavoidable. With as many MINIs as there are around this state, you can be sure that CS and NC will be good and active chapters.

Welcome to all of you. Should you have an interest in helping MINI5280 run this chapter either with events, activities, communications or technology, please volunteer here.

Thanks.

Jonathan Souza
President@MINI5280.org

Rick Gonzales
Membership@MINI5280.org

www.MINI5280.org

Old 05-03-2005, 04:59 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
MINI5280 Spring Picnic

Mark your calendars for the upcoming MINI5280 Spring Picnics!!

Two locations simultaneously, these picnic rides will be fun:
  • Sunday, June 5th at NOON
  • Location in Colorado Springs tba
  • Location in Northern Colorado tba
  • This is a byo picnic - every family for themselves
  • We will choose scenic (and dry, and hopefully warm) locations
  • There will be no ride per se, just MOTOR on out to the picnic location and we will see you there!
Stay tuned to this thread for more details, and please SIGN UP in the MINI5280 online event calendar right here in NAM.

Thanks,

Jonathan

We are happy to have our Colorado Springs Motoring Chapter and our Northern Colorado Motoring Chapter host this event.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:53 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Rock on! It's on the calendar...should be able to make it!!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Old 05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Please suggest your favorite Picnic location here

for both our Northern and Colo Springs chapters.

Our Spring Picnic and Ride is set for Sunday, June 5th at NOON...but we need your suggestions on locations.

Our Colorado Springs and Northern Colorado "Steering Committee" members will make the final decision on locations to meet.

Thanks, your suggestions are appreciated.

JPS

Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
MINI5280 - Colorado Springs Motoring Spring Picnic is confirmed

with the following details:

MINI5280 - Colorado Springs Motoring announces it's Spring Picnic Meet N Greet. The details:
  • Sunday, June 5th at NOON
  • Bear Creek Park in Colorado Springs (see link to map below)
  • BYO everything - MINI5280 will provide ic cold non-alcoholic beverages
  • BYO Lawn Chair
  • BYO outdoor activities, ie frisbee, lawn darts, etc.
  • RSVP PLEASE to the MINI5280 Calendar right here in NAM
  • Concurrent event, same day same time with the MINI5280 - Northern Colorado Motoring club.
Here is a map link to the park:

http://adm.elpasoco.com/parks/Bc_prog.asp

Hope to see you there.

JPS

Old 05-25-2005, 06:10 AM
italianobride
1st Gear
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to see how long you guys were planning on picnicing and if you were going to ride at all that day because as it turns out my husband has the preride for the rangeriders that weekend and probably won't get back till about 1ish so if we come it will probably be late. I'm so bummed because I really want to come, I could always come without him but it may be hard with the baby and all.

Ciao
Bobbi

Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Thanks for asking, Bobbi

Here is my best guess:

A picnic lasts more than an hour. Maybe twice that what with socializing, games, etc. As often happens, however, a ride may break out afterwards for those interested and for those who have time. We like things like that.

Sean Bancroft, from our Colorado Springs Steering Committee, will make those decisions. Also, Rick Gonzales ( Membership@MINI5280.org) will be there too so whatever these guys think, that is what will happen. I myself will be up north in Longmont...doing the same thing with our NorColo Motorers.

If you need more logistics or to be able to communicate with Sean that day, feel free to PM him here and he will share his cell #. That way, you can always be in touch.

And as always, pick up a set of 2 way radios at Best Buy. Get the ones with 5 mile range (it never is) and with channels and sub-channels. We use the International MINI channel - 7 sub 21. Your kids will show you how to dial that in on the radio.

Thanks, we look forward to having you.

Jonathan Souza
President@MINI5280.org

JPS

Old 05-25-2005, 06:18 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Sean, BTW

is "Biggripper".

JPS

Old 05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jsouz
If you need more logistics or to be able to communicate with Sean that day, feel free to PM him here and he will share his cell #. That way, you can always be in touch.

And as always, pick up a set of 2 way radios at Best Buy. Get the ones with 5 mile range (it never is) and with channels and sub-channels. We use the International MINI channel - 7 sub 21. Your kids will show you how to dial that in on the radio.
If you want, you can PM for my cell #, too - and I'll try and find my GMRS radio, too - in one of the ATV/ski bags somewhere, I think. . .

Bear Creek is easy to get to from anywhere in COS, and even if we do motor out, call one of us and we'll guide you in!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:27 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Good news! Well, good news for ME, anyhow - I found my handheld radio, so I'll be on channel 7 sub 21. Looking forward to seeing some of y'all in person Sunday. If you don't have a radio, PM me for my cell number.

Bill

PS - how did 7 sub 21 become the international MINI freq? Just wondering. . .

Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Now THAT is a good question

Every event I have been to, this is the protocol. It might make for an interesting Thread right here in NAM. Feel free to start it, you might get some good and interesting responses. There are pp out there who do know this stuff, I am not one of them.

JPS

Old 06-08-2005, 04:33 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Colorado State BBQ Championships - Colorado Springs Motorers

Voted " #1 Mountain Festival " by Westword Magazine

Official Colorado State BBQ Championship

Just like last year, we will head up to the hills (the back way, not on the Interstate) to Frisco for the Colorado BBQ Challenge on Saturday, June 25th. This ride includes about 110 miles of twisties and mountain roads each way, plus about 2 hours of Beet, Bones, BBQ, and good ol' fashioned smoke while there. Come enjoy the BBQ samples ($buck a bone) and have a cold one. Details:

Leave Denver: 9 am from Coors Brewery, Golden Co (Visitor Center / Tour entrance) via Hwy 285 and Fairplay, CO. Arrive Fairplay 11 am. Meet Colorado Springs group. About 80 miles, 2 hours.

Leave Colorado Springs: Guiseppe's Old Depot Restaurant (downtown by the tracks) at 9 am also. This route goes thru Woodland Park and Florissant on US 24 to Fairplay, CO. About 85 miles, 2 hours.

MEET AT THE FAIRPLAY PIZZA HUT, RIGHT ON HWY 9. CAN'T MISS IT. Emergency locator number is 303-807-9483. Bring your 2-way radios, Channel 7 sub 21.

Arrive Frisco: Noon (remember, mountain roads)
Eat, Drink, be Merry 2 hours or so
Return to Denver 2:00 or so, give or take, thereabouts, I think
Bring a Jacket. Last year we met snowflakes over Hoosier Pass.

UPDATE!!! MINI5280 will provide each attending MINI driver with a nice supply of 'sample' tickets, enabling you to 'sample' or taste a wide variety of BBQ items! The club appreciates it's members, so we want to help you enjoy BBQ!! Join us for the ride, and the samples are yours!! ( WE CALL THEM BUCK-A-BONE TICKETS)

Who really cares. We have an excuse to Motor, Eat and Drink in a great setting. Sign up in the MINI5280 Calendar right here in NAM for the fun!!! Or just show up to meet the group.

See www.townoffrisco.com for more details. Click on Event, then BBQ. Or go to http://www.townoffrisco.com/Application1.pdf for more info.

JPS

Old 06-22-2005, 04:24 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
It looks like we will have 15 - 20 vehicles going up

Be sure to meet at Guiseppe's Old Depot downtown a few mins before the ride leaves. There is a nice park just across the street, with a shelter and picnic tables.

Sean (Biggripper here in NAM) is leading, contact him by PM if you have logistics questions.

Thanks, see you in Fairplay!! If you have not indicated you are going, it helps us to know. Do so in the MINI5280 Calendar right here in NAM. Click on Calendar, JUMP to MINI5280.

JPS

Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
BBQ Run Details

Here are some details for those of you who plan on driving up with the Colorado Springs Group.

When: We want people arriving around 8:45am so that we can leave around 9:00AM

Where: Giuseppe's Old Depot Restaurant...we may gather in the parking lot or we may be in the little park accross the street...JUST LOOK FOR MINIS.

DIRECTIONS FROM I25 & WOODMEN
To: 10 S Sierra Madre St Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3312 US

Driving Directions
1. Start out going WEST on E WOODMEN RD. (0.04 miles)
2. Merge onto I-25 S via the ramp on the LEFT. (6.76 miles)
3. Take the BIJOU STREET exit- EXIT 142- toward DOWNTOWN. (0.22 miles)
4. Turn LEFT onto W BIJOU ST. (0.12 miles)
5. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto W KIOWA ST. (0.06 miles)
6. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto N SIERRA MADRE ST. (0.15 miles)
7. End at 10 S Sierra Madre St Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3312 US
Total Estimated Time: 9 minutes
Total Distance: 7.35 miles

CLICK HERE to view your directions

DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM CIMMARON & I-25

Driving Directions
1. Start out going SOUTHEAST on W CIMARRON ST/US-24. (0.02 miles)
2. Merge onto I-25 N via the ramp on the LEFT. (0.47 miles)
3. Take the BIJOU STREET exit- EXIT 142- toward CEN. BUS. DIST. (0.19 miles)
4. Take the BIJOU ST ramp toward CENTRAL BUS DIST. (0.07 miles)
5. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto W BIJOU ST. (0.02 miles)
6. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto W KIOWA ST. (0.06 miles)
7. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto N SIERRA MADRE ST. (0.15 miles)
8. End at 10 S Sierra Madre St Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3312 US
Total Estimated Time: 2 minutes
Total Distance: 0.99 miles

CLICK HERE to view directions

DIRECTIONS FROM AUSTIN BLUFFS & ACADEMY
From: [3200-3206] Austin Dr Colorado Springs, CO 80909 US

Driving Directions
1. Start out going WEST on AUSTIN DR toward LESLIE DR. (0.04 miles)
2. Turn RIGHT onto LESLIE DR. (0.04 miles)
3. Turn LEFT onto PASEO RD. (0.50 miles)
4. Turn RIGHT onto N CIRCLE DR. (0.30 miles)
5. N CIRCLE DR becomes E FILLMORE ST. (2.22 miles)
6. Merge onto I-25 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward COLO SPGS. (2.55 miles)
7. Take the BIJOU STREET exit- EXIT 142- toward DOWNTOWN. (0.22 miles)
8. Turn LEFT onto W BIJOU ST. (0.12 miles)
9. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto W KIOWA ST. (0.06 miles)
10. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto N SIERRA MADRE ST. (0.15 miles)
11. End at 10 S Sierra Madre St Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3312 US
Total Estimated Time: 13 minutes
Total Distance: 6.22 miles

CLICK HERE to view directions

Old 06-28-2005, 04:22 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Seen any MINIs out there?

How about a run up to Cripple Creek? Say, August 7, 27 or 28??

ColoSprings group could take the fun back way up thru Canyon City or the north way thru Woodland Park. Northern Colorado group could take the fun front way up from Hwy 285 (Pine, CO) and down past Deckers, Woodland Park, etc. This is over 2 hrs to get down from the north but with a picnic lunch in tow, may be fun.

Let us know....we would love to book and look forward to this fun run!!

JPS

Old 06-30-2005, 09:00 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Blueberry Pancakes

Come on out for Breakfast on Sunday, July 3rd to Meet N Greet other MINI and Mini owners and enjoy a casual breakfast to boot! Three concurrent MNG's to choose from:

1. Denver Midtown- Breakfast King restaurant at S. Santa Fe and Mississippi, right by Gates Rubber Plant. 9 am or a bit sooner, back room. Rick Gonzales hosts.

2. Colorado Springs - The Egg and I - on Academy across from Chapel Hills Mall near Briargate Blvd, 9 am. West side of Academy. Sean Bancroft hosts.

3. Boulder / Longmont - Andrea's Homestead Cafe in Lyons - 216 E Main, 303-823-5000 (Try the German Apple Pecan Pancakes) 9 am. Rob Clements hosts.

As always, this is a casual GTG for general discussion and food. No formal ride is scheduled afterwards but sometimes, a ride breaks out anyway. Come on out and join us. Maps will be posted and linked in the RM and MINI5280 forums for your convenience. Check below if you are going to attend one of these locations. RSVP is not needed however, feel free to just show up!!

Jonathan President@MINI5280.org
Rick Membership@MINI5280.org
Nick Treasurer@MINI5280.org
Kendall Secretary@MINI5280.org

Watch for upcoming MINI5280 events such as the Polo Event on July 9 and 10, the Colby Bluegrass Festival July 16th, AutoCross at DIA the same weekend, July 12th monthly meeting at WEBB Motorsports, Drive in Drive to the Movies on July 23rd, Brunch at the Broadmoor on July 24th, and more.

Watch www.MINI5280.org and this calendar for details.

JPS

Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Trinityblk
2nd Gear
no Egg for I

Well so that I can make the Broadmoor trip I can't do the Egg and I. But have plenty of pancakes for me!

Trinityblk

Old 07-03-2005, 06:25 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Well, wasn't a big crowd eating pancakes - just three of us. . .and most had plans, so no motor.

Was a good time over breakfast, though - had some discussions about the Bishops Castle run - probably early August; need to check the calendar and see what weekends are open. . .stay tuned. . .

Old 07-03-2005, 07:22 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Oops

Bill,

Thanks for the voice message. I deleted your message in error...I was going to call back but I didn't have your number...I expected your number to show up in my missed calls directory...of course it wasn't but I had already erased your message so I couldn't call back.

I am sorry for not being there this morning but I didn't learn about the GTG until after you left that message. Glad you all had fun though.

Keep me posted on your thoughts for the castle run.

Sean

Old 07-03-2005, 07:27 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
BBQ Run PICS

I have posted pics for the BBQ RUN.

We had a great time in Frisco. Great BBQ. Good music. Fast cars...oh, yeah fast pigs too. All told I think we had 12 cars go up. Good times. Go see the pics.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:25 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Brunch at the Broadmoor

As you all know, we have booked room for a group of 30 for next Sunday, July 24th at the Broadmoor. Details are below. It is critical that you call them direct to RSVP, and pls let us know in the MINI5280 calendar if you will be joining us. Thanks, see you there.

JPS

July 16th UPDATE...PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The Broadmoor RSVP desk called today. They indicate that they have not received any RSVP's from our attendees. IF YOU ARE GOING, YOU MUST RSVP DIRECT WITH THE BROADMOOR...use the info below to do so. Mention that you are with the MINI5280 group and they will put you with us.

MINI520 and our Colorado Springs Motoring Chapter announce......

" Brunch at the Broadmoor " Details:
  • Event hosted by our Colorado Springs Motoring chapter
  • Sunday, July 24th 2005
  • 11:00 am
  • RSVP is required direct to the Broadmoor
  • Sunday Best dress is recommended (uh, jeans and t-shirts are simply not allowed, but coat and tie is not required, either. Use good judgment.
  • MINI5280 members from Denver and Northern Colorado will Motor down to meet you
  • Group picture on the grounds following the event
Reservation information:
  • We have reserved 32 seats (2 large tables) in the Lake Terrace Dining Room. This is in the Main (East) building. Drive up the main entrance, valet park or self park.
  • Call Broadmoor Dining Reservations at 800-634-7711, x5733 to RSVP in your own name.
  • Use the code "MINI5280" to make your reservation - ask for our group. If there are questions, ask for Mark Gradin.
  • Because of the size of the group, we will have 1 check and the cost will be $41.03 pp (adult) including 18% gratuity. You will pay your portion directly to the dining room. (Children are less)
  • Our Reservation is at 11:30. Broadmoor recommends arriving by 11:15 am.
  • We need a firm # count by Thursday, July 21 so please RSVP before that date. At that point, we have to release unused seats.
  • If meeting us there, Google Maps to 1 Lake Avenue, Colorado Springs.
Thanks, love that Brunch!!

JPS

Old 07-17-2005, 10:33 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Out Of Commision???

I am going to wait on RSVPing until I find out if I will have my car back. It is in the shop having the front end repainted.

Sean

Old 07-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Trinityblk
2nd Gear
SCCA National TOur This Weekend

Come one, come all! Show support for your fellow MINI drivers. There are 8 MINI's listed in GS and 1 in SML ( That's me!). So there are a bunch of MINI's to come out and see. GS will be running 1st heat so they plan to start about 8am. SML is heat 3 so I'd say about 11ish.

See ya out there!

DIA/ Jackson Gap exit/ Mount Elbert parking lot

Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Trinityblk
2nd Gear
Sig help

Hey UUNETBILL and anyone else!

How do you get your pic to show up and not just a link to it for your sig?

Quick Reply: Colorado Springs Motoring chapter of MINI5280 Official Activity Thread