MINI takes the States - Sin City participation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI takes the States - Sin City participation?

Over on MotoringfFile they are asking clubs to start planning events around the MTTS run. The Santa Barbara to Las Vegas run is described here: http://www.miniusa.com/mtts/pdf/leg_2.pdfThe Las Vegas to Flagstaff (August 23) leg is described here: http://www.miniusa.com/mtts/pdf/leg_3.pdf

At least a couple of us are thinking of doing the Flagstaff segment with the MTTS. According to MotoringFile:

MINI USA wants all those who help run MINI clubs, and are interested in participating in MTTS, to post their final plans in the comment section of this article. Be sure to include your email address and club name so that the folks at MINI USA can reach you to discuss how your plans can match up with official MINI Takes the States itinerary.
http://motoringfile.com/2006/05/21/l...ates/#comments

Does SCMC want to do anything with this event?

Old 05-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes we do. Most definitely.
I'll hit that thread and add SCMC contact info.
Thanks Steve.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Hey great to here the Vegas chapter

I am going to be in Vegas on Sat. through Sat. on may27th. I hope i can see some of the club members on the strip!
I don't have my convertible with me
Dang rental car
They want 150.00 a day for the Cool Blue Convertible and 500.00 to take it to LA (rent-a-vet)

-alpinamike

Old 05-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Agro
Hi Mike. Locals rarely hit the Strip unless babysitting out-of-town visitors. And Saturday the 27th, we're all going to be in Boulder City for the 2nd annual BBQ competition and car show. Come on out and say hi.
Have a look here for more info. Of course, I'd be happy to meet up with you while you're here and take you for a MINI cruise down the Strip if you want.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:47 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Yes.

Free cruise!
I will being coming in on the 27th later, around i think 4:00pm, I wish i had a MINI while i am out their, maybe MINIUSA could hook me up??
I tried to rent one but $$$$
Sounds like the BBQ in boulder city is cool, I was there last year on our way to flagstaff, AZ to the Grand Cayon. We ate at one of those small dinners.
I don't know if I could make it that far , i won't have a rental till i go to LA which is the Sat. after that.
I would like to get a ride down the strip on Sat when i get there but i think you guys will be in boulder by the time I fly in.
I will have internet while out in Vegas so i can talk to NAM people when i have time.
PM me with your cell i will have mine out there, i would like to meet with other clubs that don't come too far east, except for the dragon

-alpinamike

Old 05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Agro
Boulder City is only about a 30 minute drive from the Strip if you take the freeway. However, if you aren't getting in till the afternoon, you're probably out of luck since it's a daytime thing.
Check your PM for my cell number.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Agro
I've mapped out my route from Vegas to Flagstaff for the 1 leg of MTTS that I'm doing. I'm running the "12 miles of terror" (the road to Bagdad) then through Prescott, past Sedona and up I17 to Flagstaff.
Streets & Trips estimates about 6 hours for 360 miles. Anyone who wants to tag along is welcome to do so. Here is a copy of the S&T directions converted to a simple html table and this is a screenshot of the route map.

I have printed the directions and the map, and will have about 50 copies with me at the departure point in Las Vegas. Anyone who wants a copy, grab me Wednesday morning. If you can't find me, yell for "Agro" at the top of your lungs and grab the large, furry Australian who reacts.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Interesting!
I thought I'd drive the old route 66 - I know it's a bit straight and dull - but now I'm confused

Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Agro
Ian, Route 66 is fine. It's only doable in short bursts. You do a bit of 66 then a bit of I40 then more 66 then more 40. It'll be a bit slower than the Interstate all the way and a bit more fun.

I'm planning on doing a bigger loop out of the way with some much more fun roads. I just thought I'd post it in case anyone else wants to do it too. If not, I'll enjoy the drive all by my lonesome.

For those who missed the connection, Prescott was the location of Mini Meet West this year and has some incredibly fun roads. With stops (and maybe a re-run of the 12 miles of terror), I'm estimating around 8 hours all up from Vegas to Flagstaff.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Agro
My MTTS Vegas to Flagstaff route

Ok. Steve prodded me to look at going through Jerome and Sedona, so here is the new route.
It has less freeway, 3 fewer miles but more fun roads and only adds about another 30 minutes.
Here's the map.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 AM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
BBQ for Dinner

After the great run Agro has planned, I would like to suggest we go to dinner at Bigfoot BBQ in downtown Flagstaff. Voted "Best in Flagstaff" 3 years running. It is located at in the basement of a building at 120 N. Leroux St. It is on the corner of Leroux and Birch. There are several bank parking lots that can be used after hours at that intersection. Their website is at http://www.bigfootbbq.com/index.html. I can vouch for their pulled pork and ribs, and my wife really liked their Peace Maker Po Boy with fried shrimp and oysters. It's a peanut shells on the floor kind of place, with cutouts of Bigfoot made out of the cardboard from beer 12 packs. So, you won't have to go to your hotel and change into your tux after the run!

Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Steve_LV
I would like to suggest we go to dinner at Bigfoot BBQ in downtown Flagstaff
Sounds good to me

Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Eric B
3rd Gear
Hey Steve,

Do you think we need to make some kind of reservation if a bunch of us are going to tag along for the drive and more specifically the dinner at Bigfoot's? I'm down - count me in!

-e

Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Agro
I'm in as long they have beer (none of that watery bud/coors crap).

Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Agro
I'm in as long they have beer (none of that watery bud/coors crap).
Well, from their brochure, note Rule #2:

Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
From the MTTS website for the Las Vegas to Flagstaff drive:

"Stop by the morning departure desk at Palace Station Hotel (2411 West Sahara Ave) in the parking lot at Teddy Drive and Kings Way between the hours of 8am and 9am to receive information and details on the day’s drive and the upcoming stop. SIRIUS, MINI’s official satellite radio partner, will be providing the daily tip sheet at every ‘check point’ to all participants informing them of the daily route, traffic alerts and activities – so no one will miss a beat. SIRIUS will also provide the best in 100% commercial-free music at each stop. "

Agro,
Do you think there's a way to get your "alternative" route to the departure desk ahead of time?
Steve

Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Agro
I'll see what I can do. Donovan is involved with the Palace Station thing, I'll call him. Now if I can just get him to answer the bloody phone!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric B
Hey Steve,

Do you think we need to make some kind of reservation if a bunch of us are going to tag along for the drive and more specifically the dinner at Bigfoot's? I'm down - count me in!

-e
Hi Eric,
I've already told them that I was going to try to bring a bunch of people there. I'm planning on going to Flagstaff this weekend, and I will remind them. It isn't the kind of place that takes reservations, but maybe if I could get a rough count, I could let them know on Saturday. So far, there's you, me and my wife, Agro, and GBMINI. Anyone else planning on joining us?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Agro
Maybe you should crosspost this into the National Events:MTTS forum?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I could move this over to National Events if you'd like

Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Agro
Thanks Dave, but I already worked out that I can do that.
BTW, were you driving north on I15 in southern Utah on Sunday at about 3pm?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
I just moved this over to National Events, so we don't get two nearly identical threads going with details possibly getting dropped between the two threads.

Originally Posted by Agro
Thanks Dave, but I already worked out that I can do that.
BTW, were you driving north on I15 in southern Utah on Sunday at about 3pm?
Nope, that wasn't me.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Agro
Wow. It was a dead ringer for your car. I was heading home from MITM and saw a SR/S cooper with the silver chevron bonnet stripe heading the other way. It reminded me that I hadn't seen you at MITM, though I thunk you were going.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
I was trying to make it, but I had a presentation here in L.A. on Friday that I needed to be at. So it didn't make much sense for me to drive out to Colorado if I couldn't leave until Friday in rushhour traffic.

RE: my MINI
The stripe is no longer on the car.

Quick Reply: MINI takes the States - Sin City participation?