MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas (M2C2) The MINI Motoring Club of the Carolinas forum. Visit our club site at www.m2c2.org

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 06:41 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Noise

While driving my MCS around the Clayton area yesterday, while getting out of first gear, my MINI made a strange noise. Not sure if it was a squeaking noise or what...it wasn't a normal sound, and that was the first time it did it. Unfortunately, it is an intermittent noise and it did for a bit yesterday and so far nothing today. I'm sure the dealer will not to bring it in until it does it all the time. It only did it coming out of first gear too, no other time.

Any thoughts or suggestions??? I don't want to hurt my MINI! Any help would be appreciated...I may try to call the dealer too. Thanks for your help!

Michelle

Old 06-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Don't know what it might be. When does it happen? As you let the clutch out or when you're moving the shifter or some other phase of the gear change?

Old 06-14-2004, 11:02 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
It kinda makes the noise when I was letting the clutch out and giving it gas. The clutch had already grabbed since the car was moving...my mom heard it too, but to actually say what kind of noise it was, it's hard to say. Like I said it was an intermittent noise and hasn't done it today, so I have no clue.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
If it's like you said, kind of a squeeky sound while the pedal is still moving, I'd suspect the pedal linkage. Where did it sound like it was coming from? Could you get a general idea?

Old 06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
This sounds like a parlor game I used to play many years ago Although we have a different version now-a-days with the grandson called, "pull my finger, guess the sound!"

Only kidding.......

So back to your question, and I know it's hard to describe a sound and that you said you weren't sure if it was a squeaking noise, but could it be a "muffled clanking" sound. Since it's happening while shifting out of first, it could be the ABS system checking it's self at whatever specific speed (10 mph ???) it does that at.

I know that I get a very pronounced sound while shifting out of first at around this speed.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:17 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
It really wasn't a squeaking sound...not really sure what kind of noise. I asked my mom since she was with me and she said it sounded more like a chirp, but not sure if I would even call it that. It sounded like it came from the clutch area. It hasn't done it since Sunday afternoon. My uncle thought possibly a throw out bearing, but I would think that would be a constant noise and not just leaving first gear. It happened when I gave it a bunch of gas on an incline, but it did it on level ground too...Not sure. Still debating on calling the dealer.

Old 06-15-2004, 06:06 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
I called the dealer and they want to take a look at it. So I get a day off work next Tuesday. Kenny, one of their service advisors told me that if it made the noise again that I should have it towed up there! ACK!!!! At least they didn't tell me to wait until it makes the noise again! So they are going to look at it. At least it's under warranty. :smile: I'd rather get it fixed if there is a problem while it's under warranty than wait until it's out and there is a serious problem with it. :smile:

Bob, I will be at the dinner, but I may be dropped off it starts making the noise again, or at least get my mom to come with me! :smile:
Michelle

Last edited by 1MiniGrl; 06-15-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
If you need a ride to the dinner, I could swing by and pick you up. I should be able to get out of here by 5, so there'd be time. Let me know.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:34 AM
1MiniGrl
Banned
As long as my car doesn't make the noise again, and knock on wood, it hasn't...I should be okay. I'm just tyring to not drive it. I'll let you know on Wed. or Thurs. and if I decide to just baby it and not drive it, I'll let you know. I'm becoming a hermit this week...my uncle seems to think that the clutch just slipped and may have caused the noise, so we'll see.

I'll definitely drop you a line no later than Thursday!

Michelle