2012 Cooper Base Build Thread - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > MINIs in General > Mini/MINI BUILDS
2012 Cooper Base Build Thread >

2012 Cooper Base Build Thread

Mini/MINI BUILDS Showcase your Build Talents.

2012 Cooper Base Build Thread

  #1  
Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Alecdoecuddie
Alecdoecuddie is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 Cooper Base Build Thread

Ive had my mini for 3 years now, just deciding to start a build thread to document any changes I decide to do from here on! Hereís how she looks at the moment!



 
  #2  
Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 AM
njaremka's Avatar
njaremka
njaremka is offline
6th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,146
Thanked 93 Times in 85 Posts
Looks like fun!

i would get a grill installed to protect the radiator though...
 
  #3  
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Alecdoecuddie
Alecdoecuddie is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Originally Posted by njaremka View Post
Looks like fun!

i would get a grill installed to protect the radiator though...
Thanks! Iím actually working on a custom mesh grill. Trying out a few different looks
 

Last edited by Alecdoecuddie; 10-10-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: No picture
  #4  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM
squawSkiBum
squawSkiBum is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,450
Thanked 143 Times in 130 Posts
Looking sharp! Moving you to the BUILDS section for maximum showing off.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to squawSkiBum For This Useful Post:
Alecdoecuddie (10-10-2018)
  #5  
Old 11-03-2018, 12:17 AM
Alecdoecuddie
Alecdoecuddie is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New (ish) wheels

I was in the market for a new set of tires, and came upon some XXR 002's for a steal with fresh tires. Going from a 17x7 wheel to a 15x8 seemed like a bit much to me, but the smaller wheels are growing on me. Looks much more go-karty.

No rubbing in the front, although the rears are rubbing a good bit on sudden drops. It was good to experience though as now I know I can fit an 8 inch wheel in the back with just a bit higher offset.

Coilovers are in the very near future, they just might be my own christmas present. Also sprayed my custom mesh lower grille black, and am almost done with the the upper mesh grille.

Cheers!



 
  #6  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM
aunknown
aunknown is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alecdoecuddie View Post
I was in the market for a new set of tires, and came upon some XXR 002's for a steal with fresh tires. Going from a 17x7 wheel to a 15x8 seemed like a bit much to me, but the smaller wheels are growing on me. Looks much more go-karty.

No rubbing in the front, although the rears are rubbing a good bit on sudden drops. It was good to experience though as now I know I can fit an 8 inch wheel in the back with just a bit higher offset.

Coilovers are in the very near future, they just might be my own christmas present. Also sprayed my custom mesh lower grille black, and am almost done with the the upper mesh grille.

Cheers!
Think I liked the old wheel setup better, but these don't look bad. Notice any MPG differences from the new setup?
 
  #7  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Alecdoecuddie
Alecdoecuddie is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aunknown View Post
Think I liked the old wheel setup better, but these don't look bad. Notice any MPG differences from the new setup?
Not my ideal setup aesthetically, but definitely loving the responsiveness compared to the old set. Plus a bit more driving comfort. Cracked a rim from the old set on a pothole so yea haha. Havenít really noticed a difference in MPG though!
 
  #8  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:29 PM
aunknown
aunknown is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alecdoecuddie View Post


Not my ideal setup aesthetically, but definitely loving the responsiveness compared to the old set. Plus a bit more driving comfort. Cracked a rim from the old set on a pothole so yea haha. Havenít really noticed a difference in MPG though!
Thats unfortunate, at least you have some positives from the new setup even if you don't like it aesthetically. Any updates on the mesh grilles?
 
  #9  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Alecdoecuddie
Alecdoecuddie is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aunknown View Post
Thats unfortunate, at least you have some positives from the new setup even if you don't like it aesthetically. Any updates on the mesh grilles?
I did finish the top, but it didnít feel as sturdy as I wanted it too. Iím looking for a cheap donor grill that I can cut so I can use the surrounding plastic to support it better
 
  #10  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM
I like mini clubman's
I like mini clubman's is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Nice car, is that Thule basket standard length or does it have the extension added into it?
 
  #11  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Alecdoecuddie
Alecdoecuddie is offline
1st Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I like mini clubman's View Post
Nice car, is that Thule basket standard length or does it have the extension added into it?
Thanks! It has the extension. Definitely way more useful with it
 
  #12  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 AM
aunknown
aunknown is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alecdoecuddie View Post


Thanks! It has the extension. Definitely way more useful with it
Thanks, I was wondering this same thing.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
NateEspinosa
R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
4
10-19-2018 04:46 PM
SneedSpeed
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
124
09-20-2016 03:07 PM
SlyCooperR53
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
185
01-11-2016 10:25 PM
jamez
Suspension
9
02-04-2014 02:00 PM
Eddyboi77
General MINI Talk
0
09-18-2011 03:35 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Cooper Base Build Thread


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: