R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Engine start/stop button

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Jagman
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine start/stop button

The start sequence for my 09 MCS reqiures that I must have my foot on the brake pedal and the gear shift in park or neutral when I push the start buttton to start the engine. I thought I needed to follow the same procedure to stop the car. However, I find the engine will shutoff anytime I push the button without my foot on the brake and it does not matter what gear (automatic) the car is in.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

John D.
09 MCS

Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Browser_23
4th Gear
I have an 09 MCSa with comfort access. If I remember right it won't let me turn off the engine unless the shift is in Park (never tried neutral). Don't know about on brake as my foot is on the brake when it is in gear and I just put it in park then hit the button. But if I hit the button while still in gear it does not shut off.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MC-auto and along with foot on brake, it must be in Park or Neutral to start.

Engine will stop on just a button push in Drive Gear if car is moving less then 2 mph, or not moving,
If you are moving faster than 2 mph, it ignores the start/stop button.

If you stop engine and then remove the key/fob with gearshift not in Park,
it sounds a warning chime and displays a car with arrows pointing forward and back.

Last edited by pilotart; 02-02-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
On my 08 MCS automatic, I can't remove the fob after the engine is stopped unless the shifter is in Park. Yes, the engine will stop whenever the button is pushed with the engine running, regardless of shifter position. This is the first time I've given it any thought, tho. What sort of problems has that caused you?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my 09 Auto with Comfort Access, it won't let me stop the engine unless it is in park or neutral.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
IMO the start/stop button is useless...they should have made it so you just push the fob in to start the car. Other than a novelty I dont care for it myself.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
But that means I'd have to take my fob out of my pocket to start the car. That's just too hard.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
But that means I'd have to take my fob out of my pocket to start the car. That's just too hard.
There is nothing wrong with the button...but what purpose does it serve other than being a novelty? If it were a fob that you just keep in your pocket then I see the reason, like the Corvette....but to install the fob then have to press a button to start is strange. Its just for kicks, I understand that.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM
dashiel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
There is nothing wrong with the button...but what purpose does it serve other than being a novelty? If it were a fob that you just keep in your pocket then I see the reason, like the Corvette....but to install the fob then have to press a button to start is strange. Its just for kicks, I understand that.
you can, at least on the '09. i'm going to need to remind myself to put the fob in every now and then to ensure it stays charged.

it's so convenient i want to find something similar for my garage door.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Browser_23
4th Gear
I just confirmed this morning. 09 MCSa with comfort access you can not turn off the engine while it is in gear with the start stop button. You get a warning tone and an indication in the little window the time and temp show in to put it in park.

Also, for dashiel, if you have comfort access the fob battery is not a rechargeable one like the non comfort access. It has a battery you need to replace periodically (though don't know how long they last as mine is only 3 months old).

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Without the start button, how could you have a "on but not started" mode?

Inserting the fob turns on the car in an "accessory" mode (radios and lights on, ignition and engine systems off). Leave your foot off the brake and push the start button turns the car fully on and you can access all the computer set-ups like maintenance intervals and TPS system. Push the button again turns the car off. It's not something you do every day, but it is a pretty important function when you need it.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dashiel
you can, at least on the '09. i'm going to need to remind myself to put the fob in every now and then to ensure it stays charged.

it's so convenient i want to find something similar for my garage door.
Nope...I have an 09 JCW and without putting the fob in the slot it will not start...You must have the convinience package to do that I think.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Nope...I have an 09 JCW and without putting the fob in the slot it will not start...You must have the convinience package to do that I think.
Duh! It is MINIs way of making people purchase the Convenience option so they don't have to be bothered with the silly button!

I wouldn't mind a fob for Convenience Package folk and a regular key for "Regular" people.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
IMO the start/stop button is useless...they should have made it so you just push the fob in to start the car. Other than a novelty I dont care for it myself.
Personally I think the whole move towards weird fobs/starter buttons, and convenience access packages is kind of silly in general. Good ole fashioned keys still work fine and many of the modern designs have design glitches. The key/fob on my '06 Cayman was infamous for opening and closing things accidentally just from the pressures of being in your pocket.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Kazy
2nd Gear
Personally, I love it. It's 2009, and we've been using key ignitions for nearly 80 years probably, it's about time for a change. :P

Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
My Honda Civic began overheating (ended up needing a new radiator) on top of Mount Lemmon here in Tucson. I had to coast down to the bottom, with no power steering (good thing it's a light car) and no power breaks (good thing I have strong legs), turning the engine on for short bursts when I'd approach an uphill stretch.

So long as the start/stop button in a manual MCS doesn't strand me on top of the mountain in a similar situation, we're cool.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by fishbert
My Honda Civic began overheating (ended up needing a new radiator) on top of Mount Lemmon here in Tucson. I had to coast down to the bottom, with no power steering (good thing it's a light car) and no power breaks (good thing I have strong legs), turning the engine on for short bursts when I'd approach an uphill stretch.

So long as the start/stop button in a manual MCS doesn't strand me on top of the mountain in a similar situation, we're cool.
That's what MINI Roadside Assistance is for.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
That's what MINI Roadside Assistance is for.
Yeah, but I had **** to get done that day!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
MInI___Gz
5th Gear
I love my button

Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has gone "round and round" long enough. For those who have Comfort Access the battery is replaceable, just pop off the back cover and there you are "the battery". Nuf said!!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine will not turn off the car even when stopped unless in park let alone below 2mph unless it is something they changed in 09. I just get a arrow pointing to put the car in park before turning off the engine.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Jagman
1st Gear
Engine start/stop button

I do not have the 'comfort' package on my 09 MCSa. As I recall when I bought the car in November, you had to put your foot on the brake and push the 'start/stop button to shut the engine off. I believe this procedire is outlined in the owners manual. I am only concerned because the prescribed method for shutting off the car has seemed to change and what could be next..

Many things on the Mini are computer driven. My auto up/down windows don't always respond with the auto feature. My check enigine light came on this week. With only 2k miles on the car I want to know everything is working as it should. These

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Jagman
1st Gear
Engine start/stop button

I do not have the 'comfort' package on my 09 MCSa so that is not an issue. As I recall when I bought the car in November, you had to put your foot on the brake and push the 'start/stop button to shut the engine off. I believe this procedure is outlined in the owners manual. While the car starts and shuts off ok, I am concerned because the prescribed method for shutting off the car has seemed to change and is a concern to me as to what could be next.....I am 135 miles from the dealer!

Many functions on the Mini are computer driven. My auto up/down windows don't consistently respond with the auto feature. My check enigine light came on this week. With only 2k miles on the car I want to know and expect everything is working as it should. These fun little cars are not inexpensive. All the systems should work reliably. I hope to be able to get the Mini into the dealer (Keeler Mini-Albany, NY) next week to look at the 'check engine' light. I will ask them to check out the start/stop issue and window auto up/down issue at the same time and report back.

John D.
09MCSa

Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Jagman
1st Gear
Oops. sorry for the double post. I also meant 'convenience package'.
Best,
John D.