Milwaukee MINIs The Milwaukee MINIs Forum. Visit our club site at www.milwaukeeminis.com

New MINI in Milwaukee, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Ellroy80
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI in Milwaukee, have some questions

Hi everyone,

Bit the bullet about a month ago and bought a 2005 Mini Cooper S. Blue w/ black roof and black racing stripes, sunroof, etc etc. Definitely a step up from my Mitsubishi Mirage! Anyway, I was wondering were you all wash your Mini during the winter? I have taken mine to a local touchless car wash, but the Mini is so short that the back doesn't get washed properly!

Also, I was wondering what you run for tires during the winter and summer? Now that we have had the first snowfall, I have realized that mine is running the shitty Goodyear Excellence OEM Summer tire (not much fun to drive around on in these conditions! Probably should've checked them out before the first snowfall.) so I will be getting these swapped out ASAP. Do people usually run separate winter and summer tires, or just an all-season year round?

Thanks in advance for your response, and hopefully I'll meet you at a Mini event sometime during the year!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ellroy80
Hi everyone,

Bit the bullet about a month ago and bought a 2005 Mini Cooper S. Blue w/ black roof and black racing stripes, sunroof, etc etc. Definitely a step up from my Mitsubishi Mirage! Anyway, I was wondering were you all wash your Mini during the winter? I have taken mine to a local touchless car wash, but the Mini is so short that the back doesn't get washed properly!

Also, I was wondering what you run for tires during the winter and summer? Now that we have had the first snowfall, I have realized that mine is running the shitty Goodyear Excellence OEM Summer tire (not much fun to drive around on in these conditions! Probably should've checked them out before the first snowfall.) so I will be getting these swapped out ASAP. Do people usually run separate winter and summer tires, or just an all-season year round?

Thanks in advance for your response, and hopefully I'll meet you at a Mini event sometime during the year!
I live in the quad cities so I ran into the same problem as you. I just got my MCS last week when it was nice and then the first snow came and I was getting stuck and slipping all over. I went with these all-seasons and they a HUGE improvement! http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS I ordered from the tire rack and had them ship directly to tires plus. I think they cost about $630 after shipping and install.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Ellroy80
1st Gear
Thanks TSur. I ended up getting some Michelin X-Ice's on steel rims because the tread on the runflats was so good. Made a MASSIVE difference. The Michelin's kill the runflats even in the dry, so much so that I don't want to put the runflats back on! I might look at the budget when summer rolls around and see if I can afford a set of summer tires.

Got it washed at the local Wash Brite. Great job, good price, and good service too!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
The MINI With a Horn
1st Gear
What part of town are you in? I'm in Glendale and found (and confirmed here with other NAM members) I have to drive across town to find a decent car wash.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Ellroy80
1st Gear
I'm in the Washington Heights neighbourhood. Tosa/Milwaukee border.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
dparaho
3rd Gear
There aren't many washes in your area. I know the one on North Ave. around 76th (WashBrite) gets a lot of business. Otherwise you will probably have to drive out of your general area.

As for tires, I highly recommend getting a dedicated set of snows. Your car will turn into a little snowmobile once you put them on. I have been running Blizzaks on mine the last few years and love them.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Ellroy80
1st Gear
So I'm moving out of my current place into somewhere where the Mini will have to be parked outside. Do any of you put a car cover on your Mini during winter? I've been told it can be dangerous, as water will freeze under the cover then rip the paint off when the cover is removed. I'm originally from warmer climates, so have never heard of this before.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
danthemanohhyea
1st Gear
I don't think I've ever seen anyone put a cover on their car in the winter. snow isn't going to hurt anything by sitting in your car until you brush it off.