About waving to other MINI drivers in Mexico...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 11:28 PM
slegorreta
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I've had my MINI, I have tried to mantain the MINI friendliness spirit. Everytime I see another MINI, I either wave or flash the lights at the other driver...

However...I have seen that there are two kinds of MINI drivers in Mexico...

a) The drivers that really know what owning a MINI is about and that share the MINI spirit (and that wave or flash back)

b) The drivers that bought the MINI (or had daddy buy the MINI for them) and that know nothing about the MINI spirit or about the history of the MINI brand

In building the http://www.mundomini.com website, I have tried to build a community of friendly and spirited MINI owners....

Cheers!!!!

Checo

Old 03-18-2003, 06:48 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
This morning on my way to the office I ran accross an exact twin for my car. It was very funny because the other guy also stared at me with a disbelief look.

It´s not very common to see other Minis on the road, but seeing one identical was really funny. Both cars are Chili Red, white bonnet stripes, chrome bumper moldings and on the Salt package.

Need to get the rally lights soon!

By the way Checo, may I ask how much you paid for yours? Did you get them from a dealer? I´ve seen so far that parts and accesories as expensive as I thought but the installation cost is unbelievable. (I got the crhome moldings for the bumpers for less than 1,000 pesos but the installation was a rip off. (Next time I´ll do it myself)

Old 03-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear
I absolutely agree with Checo that there are two types of MINI drivers out there. Unfortunateley, most seem to be of the second kind in Mexico.
Everytime I drive past a MINI (and I drive past at least one or two every day) I smile and wave. Only once have I recieved a greeting in return, that being from a middle aged man and his wife in an identical Dark Silver Cooper S who enthusiastically yelled out "hey, great taste!" and gave me a "thumbs up".

The rest of the people I've saluted have usually been teenagers who just stare back at me like I'm some sort of idiot.

I've decided to forget about greeting all MINI owners who appear to be driving their high-school graduation present. Especially those with an SUV full of bodyguards trailing behind them.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:41 AM
slegorreta
1st Gear
mexminime, i got my rally lights from the dealer, for close to $4,000 pesos, plus another $3,500 for installation (rip-off both ways) :evil:

The worst part is that the lights don't really offer much more candlepower and that the fitting system is so lose that it must be further adjusted for the lights not to rattle all the time.

My advice would be to buy a separate set of "real" PIAA or Hella rally lights (about $4,000 pesos as well) and have them installed by the dealer (for warranty purposes)..

No matter what, I will continue to wave to other MINI drivers. I have found out that women MINI drivers in Mexico are much more enthusiastic about waving...

The other day I waved a Red MCS on my way home and decided to follow and reach the guy to give him a MundoMINI flyer...to my surprise, he must have thought that I was a kidnapper as he drove away like a maniac, going over speed-bumps and all (and I was driving my MINI myself)....

Cheers

Old 04-14-2003, 12:04 PM
chegamais
1st Gear
if this is the mexican forum, why do we write in english? Yo tengo la solucion perfecta para la parte de saludar otros minis. Te estacionas al lado, y quedas mirando al otro mini como si fuera la primera vez que hayas visto uno. Apesar de que tu te encuentras dentro de uno. Despues quedas mirando y haciendo senales a quien este manejando para bajar la ventana. En general lo hacen pues si tu estas dentro de un mini, ellos creen que tienes la lanota del mundo(no es mi caso, pero ellos no necesitan saber eso) asi que bajan la ventana saluda, y invita a dar unas vueltas juntos. Para mi ha funcionado apesar de las miradas raras que unos ponen. Ah, no olviden de invitarlos a que checan la pagina de http://www.mundomini.com, asi quien sabe ellos participan. Ah, sugiero que no hagan eso con los minis que vienen con la caravana de guaruras, podras correr riesgo de vida.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:05 AM
MiniMx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slegorreta
mexminime, i got my rally lights from the dealer, for close to $4,000 pesos, plus another $3,500 for installation (rip-off both ways) :evil:
Hi Everybody!

Regards from Guadalajara!

First time i posrt in this forum!
just wanted to let you now (Late) that driving lights are about 5,500 here in GDL it includes installation. the worse thing (To continue with bad stories about dealers) is that you have to have them installed there if you want them, there is no price if you want to buy them and install them by yourself!!!!!!!!
I'm planning to better buy them at USA and do the job myself in GDL.

Saludos!

Old 06-10-2004, 09:21 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Have any of you ever happened to run across a mini with temp tags. I get the most enthusiasticaly refreshing waves from brand new owners. I think they have been fantasizing about getting the MINI and getting to wave at other owners. It is a priceless feeling. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 09-11-2004, 07:52 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chegamais
if this is the mexican forum, why do we write in english?
Hola, because not of all us can read Spanish, idiomatic, regional, or otherwise, and we are interested in Mini happenings in Mexico!

I'd love to motor down from the states, but I need to check and see if I'm on my own, roadside assistance-wise. May have to ditch those run-flats for tougher conventionals (with spares) for that long Juarez-Durango haul....

Does Mini Mexico provide roadside assistance as part of your warranty? Gracias, Jaime

Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 AM
rubycoops
Neutral
I am driving Margaret, my Mini who has 35k miles on her, to Puerto Vallerta for the winter and then through Central Americal next spring. Where can I get her serviced? Help!!
Ruby

Old 06-15-2007, 02:40 PM
MiniMx
2nd Gear
Service a mini in mexico

Hi Rubycoops!

If you plan to go to Puerto Vallarta you'll be close to Guadalajara there is a dealership there.

the name is Berlina Automotriz and the address is
Av. Patria 120
Fracc. Real Vallarta
45020 Zapopan, Jalisco
Mexico

Service Manager used to be Gustavo Peña
maybe you could call him in advance
+52 (33) 3777.1200

Regards!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rubycoops
I am driving Margaret, my Mini who has 35k miles on her, to Puerto Vallerta for the winter and then through Central Americal next spring. Where can I get her serviced? Help!!
Ruby
Lucky you... i will be working all year long with no vacations (orders per wife )

Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 PM
raul
2nd Gear
Driving lamps

Hi.
Im a new member in this forum.

I think i have a solution for the driving lamps problem, I bught mine in US for $389.95usd in http://www.outmotoring.com/ and i didnt pay tax in mexico because you have a $300usd limit without paying tax, it installed them a guy here in mexico for 800 pesos. I dont have waranty, but this guy is very good and carefull.
He also installed in my OEM driving lamps a kit of xenon, but the thing is that the bulbs didnt fit in the lamp, so he had to do a hole in them, but it is ok because it doesnt show that much, and they look really nice when they are on.

The bad thing is that ive found a cheaper price in a mini dealer in NJ,check it out. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214217

Suerte!
Marco.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:39 PM
andyde
5th Gear
Hey guys-

I would certainly do an online search for aftermarket driving lights, you may even find better than OEM's.

Funny enough, I have never seen a MINI in Mexico City when travel takes me there. Maybe I have not paid attention but since i've had mine for a couple of weeks, I am keep looking out...

Saludos-
Andy

Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 AM
marcelo929
Neutral
A soon to be mini owner. All of this "wave talking" gets me excited for good things to come

Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
MiNi_MaC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by marcelo929
A soon to be mini owner. All of this "wave talking" gets me excited for good things to come
The best think about minis, is the mini comunity

Saludos!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
CFRM
2nd Gear
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have decided to star waving full on.. I tried waving a couple of times but only they looked at me as if I were a madman any way I hope to see some of you wave back...

Cheers!