Driving over speed bumps (topes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 06:34 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Para los Miniacs Mexicanos y aquellos de otros países que sufren por esa aberración llamada tope, han tenido problemas de que el Mini raspe en los topes o en entradas o salidas de estacionamientos con pendientes pronunciadas?

(English). For people who live in countries that use speed bumps, have you had any problems going over them, will the car rub against tall ones? The Mini seems to be kind of low, so I´m a little worried since I drive over 18 speed bumps on my way home (Isn´t that amazing?)

Old 01-15-2003, 06:50 AM
mwbmini
3rd Gear
Wow.. 18 speed bumps!! My condo complex has speed bumps, I pass 2 of em on the way home, and I havent had any problems, as long as I dont go too fast. One time I guess I must have approached it a little fast, and I felt it hit a little on the top of the bump.

Old 01-15-2003, 07:12 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I had my car bottom out at a carwash yesterday...so indeed it's pretty low. I'd watch it going over the bumps. If you can't find a way to avoid some of them by taking another route, at least go slow ALSO, be aware of the impact that some have reported speed humps having on their tire pressure indicator light...i.e., going over a wide bump with just one wheel (or two wheels on one side of the car) may trick your computer into believing you have a flat. This will require resetting your indicator. No harm, but annoying.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Chobe
3rd Gear
Last Night I counted 57 speed bumps from work to my house, I took the road with the less amount of speed bums, so I think this means that in the near future I will have to buy new shock from the dealer :evil:

Old 01-23-2003, 06:45 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
OK, update on speedbumps.

Mr. Bean (official name of my mini, thanks to my brother), had a little challenge for a first drive:

Drove home through my usual road with 18 speed bumps of various sizes and I have to say " PRUEBA SUPERADA!" (Test passed with honors)

Mr. Bean didn´t rub against any speed bump, not even the tallest ones, and I passed them straight at regular speed (no maneuvering or extreme care passing over them).

Second test: the small ramp to get inside my garage. (first there´s and upward low ramp and then the garage goes downhill). Passed the test with honors too.
Cars that have failed this test: two BMWs, a z3 and a 3 series, a mercedes benz, all chryslers and some fords.

So far, looks like Mr. Bean is going to be able to keep up with my civic

Old 01-23-2003, 06:52 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Friends always tell me not to drive to Mexico, and I'd usually discount that advice...but 57 speed bumps??!!! Good lord. I'll stay away from that.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:34 PM
slegorreta
1st Gear
One thing I love about driving in Mexico is the freedom to go at the speed you want when you want....those turns in Bosques de las Lomas and the newly paved Ahuehuetes street in Mexico City are delightful....

And by the above I dont necessarily mean speeding...after all, as Dennis Jenkinson said in "The Racing Driver": "As we have seen, you can be at high "tenth values" without going over 50 m.p.h."

Saludos!!!

Checo

Old 08-31-2003, 08:55 PM
CooperSRacer
1st Gear
>>One thing I love about driving in Mexico is the freedom to go at the speed you want when you want....those turns in Bosques de las Lomas and the newly paved Ahuehuetes street in Mexico City are delightful....
>>
>>And by the above I dont necessarily mean speeding...after all, as Dennis Jenkinson said in "The Racing Driver": "As we have seen, you can be at high "tenth values" without going over 50 m.p.h."
>>
>>Saludos!!!
>>
>>Checo

Well put...I wish I could drive my Cooper S down the Mexico City-Cuernavaca-Acapulco highway (Carretera del Sol). I saw my first E46 M3 on that highway, which really surprised me because Dallas is littered with M3s. Anyways, we were in my uncle's minivan (Windstar) and all of a sudden we heard a roar...and then we saw a beautiful new M3 pass by at well over 100 mph! Amazing....what I'd really love to do is conquer La Pera outside Cuernavaca; my dad says that particular curve was actually a frequent deathtrap for cocky/unlucky drivers who would lose their grip and/or brakes and fall off the edge of the cliff. That doesnt happen much anymore cause they filled the gap in the middle, but I still remember passing there once when a 5-series zoomed by us.

All of this reminds me of the time we saw a Jaguar XJ8 and Mercedes SL500 racing down a straightaway on the Mexico City-Queretaro highway too...man, driving in Mexico sure is crazy!

Old 09-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear
>>what I'd really love to do is conquer La Pera outside Cuernavaca; my dad says that particular curve was actually a frequent deathtrap for cocky/unlucky drivers who would lose their grip and/or brakes and fall off the edge of the cliff. That doesnt happen much anymore cause they filled the gap in the middle, but I still remember passing there once when a 5-series zoomed by us.
>>

I used to drive to Ixtapa at least 4-5 times a year, and "La Pera" was my favorite part of the drive. Taking that insane turn just right is an amazing experience.
Taking it wrong will have even the gutsiest driver peeing in his pants, especially in the "downhill" direction...