JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Fatty JCW steering: got it anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. No problem with resetting the clock - I have to do that about once a week anyway (because it runs so fast...). You didn't lose the radio station presets? That's good news.

Mark S

Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
gt6
5th Gear
No, didn't lose any of the radio presets.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:02 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
OK - I received my JCW steering wheel and put it on this afternoon. It took me an hour - mainly because I messed up and shut the luggage compartment with the battery disconnected. I have a cabrio, and getting into the boot is NOT that easy without the battery hooked up. Ugh. I also lost my conversion chart and had to find it to convert 63 Nm into ft./lbs. on my torque wrench. Beyond that, it was a piece of cake.

I agree with all those who have posted here that this is a great mod - despite the cost. I figure the MINI already comes with great pedals, I put in a Whalen shift **** a while back, and now with this steering wheel all the key interactions I use every day are perfect.

Of course I had to go for a drive tonight to "try it out" for a while! (grin)

Thanks to all for the help.

Mark S

Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 PM
amg6975
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schulzmc
OK - I received my JCW steering wheel and put it on this afternoon. It took me an hour - mainly because I messed up and shut the luggage compartment with the battery disconnected. I have a cabrio, and getting into the boot is NOT that easy without the battery hooked up. Ugh. I also lost my conversion chart and had to find it to convert 63 Nm into ft./lbs. on my torque wrench. Beyond that, it was a piece of cake.

Mark S
The cabro doesn't have the manual release under the back seat? I had to juse this just this weekend while installing the JCW intake with the battery disconnected after I closed the boot. It was a piece of cake.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by amg6975
The cabro doesn't have the manual release under the back seat? I had to juse this just this weekend while installing the JCW intake with the battery disconnected after I closed the boot. It was a piece of cake.
Nope. There is a hook that you have to use to catch the latch on the back of the rear seats by reaching down from in the back seat. With the roll bars it makes it tough. I won't make that mistake again.

After a nice evening drive I am even more convinced that the JCW wheel is worth it. It is absolutely perfect.

Mark S

Old 11-04-2006, 03:44 AM
gt6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schulzmc
After a nice evening drive I am even more convinced that the JCW wheel is worth it. It is absolutely perfect.

Mark S
Totally agree, it's hard to convey to those who don't have one that it's worth the bucks but once you do, man what a difference.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Tit
5th Gear
I kinda got mine by accident: a mate bought one and decided he wanted to do something different - I bought it off him, incl. a trade for my stock one for a very nice price....

I have to admit, I wouldn't pay retail for it, (Aus is expensive) but do like it quite a bit:

Old 11-04-2006, 04:25 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So how much "cushier" is this wheel vs. the stock sport 3 spoke? I know it's "fatter" - but does it seem that most of the added "fattness" is structural (rigid) or is most of it the result of additional padding under the skin? My sport wheel is a little "hard" for my taste...

Thanks

Old 11-04-2006, 05:19 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Compensating
So how much "cushier" is this wheel vs. the stock sport 3 spoke? I know it's "fatter" - but does it seem that most of the added "fattness" is structural (rigid) or is most of it the result of additional padding under the skin? My sport wheel is a little "hard" for my taste...

Thanks
Yes, it's noticeably softer than the stock wheel. The difference is night and day, IMHO. Once you go JCW, you'll never want to go back.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Tit
5th Gear
I think it's a standard wheel with extra padding and a nicer leather or alcantara wrap. It's 'cushier' but not too much. It feels physically fatter in your hands. It's fatness makes it LOOK a little smaller.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:49 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Thanks. Gotta Have It. Damn.

Hope my wife NEVER finds out what it cost...
(We have a completely honest and open marriage - except when it comes to my toy budget or lack thereof...)

Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
gt6
5th Gear
Thanks. Gotta Have It. Damn.

Hope my wife NEVER finds out what it cost...
(We have a completely honest and open marriage - except when it comes to my toy budget or lack thereof...)
Just be careful, she's still got to be a lot more important to you that your MINI!

Old 11-11-2006, 03:44 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Related question - I have a 2006 MCSCa - automatic with the paddle shifters behind the 3 spoke sport wheel with multi-function buttons (please, no jeers - I love the automatic). Any complications using the fat three spoke wheel in this setup? Do the paddle shifters have anything to do with it - or are there a complete separate assembly behind the stock wheel?

Thanks for any hints...

Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 AM
gt6
5th Gear
Don't know for sure but you should be able to look at the rear of the wheel and see how the paddle shifters are attached. I would think they're not part of the wheel at all but attached to the column behind the wheel.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:37 AM
ddminikc
2nd Gear
Just put mine on, and wow it is fantastic. I had sat in a MINI with one before but had not had a chance to drive it. I liked the OEM wheel but this is so much better. Definately worth the cost!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ddminikc
Just put mine on, and wow it is fantastic. I had sat in a MINI with one before but had not had a chance to drive it. I liked the OEM wheel but this is so much better. Definately worth the cost!
Welcome to the club. You're gonna be spoiled and never want to go back to stock now.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 AM
eddiechile
Neutral
Streering wheel swap

Hi

Just bought in Ebay the leather multifunction steering wheel and my cooper does't come with the multifunction buttons since I hace the basic streering wheel. Does anyone know if thaewires are ready to just swap the wheel or I need to wire something from the radio to the wheel?

Thanks for you help

Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 AM
MetaMini
Neutral
JCW Wheel DOES NOT Work with the MCSa

Related question - I have a 2006 MCSCa - automatic with the paddle shifters behind the 3 spoke sport wheel with multi-function buttons (please, no jeers - I love the automatic). Any complications using the fat three spoke wheel in this setup? Do the paddle shifters have anything to do with it - or are there a complete separate assembly behind the stock wheel?

Thanks for any hints...
I have a 2006 MCSa and just purchased a JCW wheel (with the Alcantara) from the good folks at Morristown Mini. I brought it over there for the install and, wouldn't you know it, the paddles got in the way and we couldn't put it on . They suggested that there might be a way to install the wheel by taking off the paddles, but that was not a trade I was prepared to make. Morristown Mini was very cool about it, reinstalled my stock wheel and made the return graciously. That the wheel doesn't work makes me very sad, but just means that I'll have to get a JCW manual next time . . .

Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by MetaMini
just means that I'll have to get a JCW manual next time . . .
Exxxxxxactly.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MetaMini
I have a 2006 MCSa and just purchased a JCW wheel (with the Alcantara) from the good folks at Morristown Mini. I brought it over there for the install and, wouldn't you know it, the paddles got in the way and we couldn't put it on . They suggested that there might be a way to install the wheel by taking off the paddles, but that was not a trade I was prepared to make. Morristown Mini was very cool about it, reinstalled my stock wheel and made the return graciously. That the wheel doesn't work makes me very sad, but just means that I'll have to get a JCW manual next time . . .
Exactly the kind of "been there, tried that" info I was looking for. Obviously not the result I was looking for, though.

Oh, well. At least I can spend those $$ on my Milltek...

Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 PM
c615586
3rd Gear
'04?

Will the JCW wheel fit on an '04 with the three spoke wheel? The three spoke wasadded in the second half of the 2004 model year as an option to the 2 spoke wheel.

Thanks,

vin.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by c615586
Will the JCW wheel fit on an '04 with the three spoke wheel? The three spoke was added in the second half of the 2004 model year as an option to the 2 spoke wheel.
Yes, it will be a straight swap.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:38 PM
fj0
5th Gear
If only I had a 3-spoke airbag I'd get this. :drool:

Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
Could someone help me with a problem ? after switching steering wheels the air bag warning light is on. Did I not connect something correctly ?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 AM
Tit
5th Gear
Sounds like you need to visit a stealer..

Quick Reply: Fatty JCW steering: got it anyone?