JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Fatty JCW steering: got it anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:59 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by marksmith
Thanks for posting the comparison pics.
-Yes, one could add a wrap to increase thickness BUT if you look at the pics there are more design changes than that (several ergonomic differences as opposed to aesthetic ones.) Note thumb pads & position.
Bottom line: nice driver oriented mod but pricy for sure
PS. What exactly is alcantara anyway? (synthetic suede or real bovine!).
mark, I'd have to say that the thumb pad shape & position are really unchanged and they may only appear to be different because of the seams and stitching. However the feeling is quite different (much improved) because of the thickness and padding.

My bottom line: Given the high price, it's an extravagant luxury. However it does provide real benefit and utility from how it feels, so it is not useless bling (and as I've said, it is actually very stealthy). If you want bling, get the JCW spoke covers (fit both standard and JCW steering wheels). A steering wheel is something that you touch and interact with constantly while driving, and $500 spent here gives more real payback than many other expensive mods elsewhere.

Alcantara is a high end synthetic suede. It is popular in high performance circles for its non-slippery and low sheen surface. Among performance oriented drivers, the alcantara version of the steering wheel should be more popular than the all-leather because of its non-slip grip. Alcantara is a high profile brand name and therefore generally commands a premium price over similar equivalents (sort of like, well, JCW).

Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
I've been deliberating about which wheel to go with... all leather or leather with alcantara (suede)... The suede sounds REALLY nice but the concern I have is that it will be much easier to damage, either by stains or wear and tear... so the longevity question is there. And the way we sometimes get excited to be out motoring, sweat has the potential to do a lot of damage to the suede!
My alcantara wheel is coming next week. Look for a MotoringFile review soon.

BTW the alcantara is only at the top and bottom so it shouldn't wear too quickly. From my experience with the BMW alacantara, it doesn't stain easily either.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:52 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice wheel rkw !!! I never really like the feel of the seam on my 2 spoke wheel so I had it padded & recovered couple yrs ago. It has been the best investment. Enjoy your steering wheel !!!

Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kenchan
^^ +1 me likes too. but mine is unfortunately a 03 with the 2 spoke so
guess wont work...
If you're willing to switch to the 3-spoke style, you could probably find a buyer for your 2-spoke. You'd also have to buy a new style airbag, and spoke covers (either plain or MFSW).
Originally Posted by bonz
Nice wheel rkw !!! I never really like the feel of the seam on my 2 spoke wheel so I had it padded & recovered couple yrs ago. It has been the best investment. Enjoy your steering wheel !!!
Thanks, and I think that's a great idea for someone who doesn't want to spend the high JCW price. You wouldn't have to pay for a whole steering wheel (as you can see in the pictures, only the covering was changed), and a good local craftsperson could provide both top quality leather and customised work.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:19 AM
crazyaboutmini
4th Gear
they don't have a 2-spoke version? thats a bit odd considering you can still get a 2-spoke anywhere besides the the US... if they do then i'll be buying one for sure

Old 07-01-2006, 06:16 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
remind me why.......

I have joint desease (hands/wrist) and my fatty steering wheel helps me endure long commutes: The thumb rest is the widest part of the design and reduces the pressure on the T. joint a great deal. Also the sewn seams give friction points that are helpful/restful. As such, the JCW it is worth any price to me (figure of speech.)
PS. I also did a steering wheel mod on my BMW (even thicker wheel) that has virtually transformed my driving experience.
-Yes I could wrap the stock wheel in duct tape and save a $470. Just not sure of the aesthetics!

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by marksmith
-Yes I could wrap the stock wheel in duct tape and save a $470. Just not sure of the aesthetics!
LOL This reminds me of a mod I did on a friends 79 Honda Civic years ago. He complained about the wheel's thickness so I took some of my tennis racket wrap and did his wheel. He loved it, until it started to unravel while driving.......hehe

Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 PM
shooler
5th Gear
I just ordered the all leather version today. It is pricey, but IMO, worth it. I swapped my oem wheel in my GTI for the R32 wheel and what a difference it makes! Since my commute is fairly long, it was money well spent. Has anyone removed their stock wheel? Any DIY instructions?

Old 07-03-2006, 02:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Mine was installed by the dealer, when they had to take it off anyway to work on the steering column. However, I have the attached instructions, which came from my BMW TIS service CD-ROM (purchased from eBay). The last page is simply the listing of the tightening torque for the steering wheel (63 Nm).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
steering+airbag.pdf (440.6 KB, 818 views)
Old 07-03-2006, 02:41 PM
vlkwagen
1st Gear
Hello There

I just installed my new Alcantera/Leather JCW wheel yesturday, and what an improvement

It was a pain to install as it was not that easy to find the spring under the airbag to release it

I used my new wheel as reference so I could see how the screwdriver would activate the spring

There are two dimples in the lether on the back side of the wheel - these dimples should be cross-hatched with small slits - simply slide the screwdriver into the holes and deactivate the spring - thus freeing one side of the airbag

Do this same thing for the other side

Once the airbag is off, undu the connectors, reuse your factory switches or panels, retorque the new wheel, and snap the airbag back into place

The BMW manual is pretty clear

Enjoy

Anthony

Old 07-03-2006, 03:40 PM
marksmith
3rd Gear
Enjoy!

Glad someone had the nerve to DIY: I am humbled.
-Still liking my JCW wheel a lot and even noticed my rev limiter seems to be higher (app. 300 rpm.)

Old 07-10-2006, 02:45 AM
2BlueMCSMRdstr
2nd Gear
Does the JCW wheel come with a new center hub cover? I know that you have to either buy the CF inserts or transfer the MSFW inserts to the JCW wheel and reuse the original airbag but I'd like to know if a new center hub cover (including the MINI logo) is included.

I'm asking this because my stock wheel center hub was scratched by a laptop on the silver trim and on the MINI logo. I hate looking at the scratches and would love to replace the center piece at the same time I install the new wheel.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
No hub cover included. The picture is exactly what you get.

Fatty JCW steering: got it anyone?-jcwsteering.jpg

Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
vm
4th Gear
Is there a JCW steering wheel for the '02-'04?

Old 09-25-2006, 07:17 PM
swarley
3rd Gear
Just when I thought it was safe to say I was done with the Interior Mods....
I gotta have one to go with all my other JCW goodies

Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by vm
Is there a JCW steering wheel for the '02-'04?
It does not come in a two spoke version, if that's what you're asking. The JCW steering wheel will fit on a '02-'04 but you'd also have to purchase separately a new airbag and spoke covers.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I picked up my MINI yesterday, JCW steering wheel installed (all leather version). I LOVE IT! Highly recommended, it feels awesome. People with small hands will probably want to get a feel for it first though, just in case... since it is noticeably thicker than the standard wheel.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Funny enough my JCW steering wheel (all leather) came yesterday and I installed it last night. Very satisfied with it.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:10 PM
JCW210
2nd Gear
JCW Leather Wheel

If you can get them in the US ,I would say buy one for sure , not a cheap option with the CF inserts ,still it looks and feels great . ..

Old 10-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by JCW210
If you can get them in the US ,I would say buy one for sure , not a cheap option with the CF inserts ,still it looks and feels great . ..
Actually, the way that MINIUSA priced it, it's cheaper to order it from NewMINIStuff in the UK and have it shipped here! I didn't get the CF inserts though... for two reasons:
  1. I HATE the CF look... it's become overdone these days
  2. I refuse to give up the multifunctions!
This may well end up becoming one of the most commonly found JCW accessories in MINIs of all types.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:13 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
The JCW wheel rules! Mine is the alcantara. The best money I've spent on my MINI. Also got mine from NewMiniStuff. MINIUSA is making a huge mistake with its US pricing on this.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:56 AM
djbohne
1st Gear
I love mine with the alacantara.. I got mine from classic.. one of the best mods I've done. I drove a loaner yesterday with a stock wheel, and can't belive how thin it is.. Once you go fat, you never go back..

Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by djbohne
I love mine with the alacantara.. I got mine from classic.. one of the best mods I've done. I drove a loaner yesterday with a stock wheel, and can't belive how thin it is.. Once you go fat, you never go back..
Don't forget, it's also Charmin soft on the hands.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Great, one more thing to put on the list. I'm going to be broke by this time next year.

mb

Old 10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
My all leather JCW wheel

Quick Reply: Fatty JCW steering: got it anyone?