JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW PKG For 2006 Does anybody have one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
rbrauser
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW PKG For 2006 Does anybody have one yet?

New to the site.
I have a 2006 MCS on order with the factory installed JCW pkg. Not due to be completed till 11-11. Does anybody have one yet? and Does it compare to the after market mods? I know it cost more, but with the brakes and all it seemed to be the easy way to get over 200hp. Also should be better for resale. Hope it does what it is supposed to do. Seems like it should get over 210hp. Ive gone to the Minimania site and Dinan sites. Seems like if you get the mods all the way to the heads that you (or so they claim) get more hp with them? Does anybody know? Rbrauser

Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrauser
New to the site.
I have a 2006 MCS on order with the factory installed JCW pkg. Not due to be completed till 11-11. Does anybody have one yet? and Does it compare to the after market mods? I know it cost more, but with the breaks and all it seemed to be the easy way to get over 200hp. Also should be better for resale. Hope it does what it is supposed to do. Seems like it should get over 210hp. Ive gone to the Minimania site and Dinan sites. Seems like if you get the mods all the way to the heads that you (or so they claim) get more hp with them? Does anybody know? Rbrauser
06 JCWs have been delayed. See http://motoringfile.com/2005/09/30/j...ps_to_november

Read the performance mods section. You can get more power with the JCW by doing more to it (e.g., headers, maybe different ECU sw, bigger TB, lighter crank pulley, etc.)

Old 10-03-2005, 09:38 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
FYI I read in the new GOMINI that you can now order the JCW parts from the factory rather than have it insatlled at the dealer

Old 10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
FYI I read in the new GOMINI that you can now order the JCW parts from the factory rather than have it insatlled at the dealer
Yes, and if you do (order the package as a factory-installed option), your car will be delayed. See the post immediately above yours.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:26 AM
rbrauser
1st Gear
let me know

thanks for yor replies. please let me know when the first ones come off the line.
rbrauser

Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 PM
rbrauser
1st Gear
jcw pgk how bout now?

still wondering if anyone has taken delivery of a new minis with the jcw pgk factory install? mine is on the ship but not due in till mid next month.
thanks rbrauser

Old 11-19-2005, 03:49 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2006 MCS with JCW got off the boat yesterday (Friday the 19th of Nov). I expect it will be in my hands within two weeks.

cheers,

Paul

Old 11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Seeing as how the JCW's weren't even built until November, and it is still November I doubt anyone has one yet...try again in December.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Some owners in Canada have received their factory JCW: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104164

Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
I stand corrected...

Old 11-20-2005, 09:59 AM
rbrauser
1st Gear
Thanks Guys

Well I guess I'm just excited. I am dieing to here from someone who has the new factory install jcw pkg. My dealer says mine is also on boat and should hit dock dec-07. He told me I was going to have to wait another 7-10 days after that before I could take delivery. It should be here for Christmas. My wife is in for a big suprize.
Thanks Rick

Old 11-21-2005, 07:42 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just spoke with my MA and Otto's has it's RG/RG JCW demo car in...heading over at lunch time!

Update: some pics in my gallery. they were in the process up adding parts. Already have the door handles, gas cap, bonnet scoop & headlight rings painted in a satin black....very slick...

-jac

Old 12-04-2005, 02:24 PM
rbrauser
1st Gear
how bout now?

mine is still on the pond, at least it has passed panama. will be here soon. just wanted to get some feed back from any one who has recieved thiers yet. still trying to justify the price, but still feel i have made the right choice.
rbrauser

Old 12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
Originally Posted by rbrauser
New to the site.
I have a 2006 MCS on order with the factory installed JCW pkg. Not due to be completed till 11-11. Does anybody have one yet? and Does it compare to the after market mods? I know it cost more, but with the brakes and all it seemed to be the easy way to get over 200hp. Also should be better for resale. Hope it does what it is supposed to do. Seems like it should get over 210hp. Ive gone to the Minimania site and Dinan sites. Seems like if you get the mods all the way to the heads that you (or so they claim) get more hp with them? Does anybody know? Rbrauser
Yes, I am driving my 06 JCW (factory installed)...and as mentioned above I am from Canada. I received "Zeus" November 14th and have enjoyed every moment. Pay no attention to people who may razz you for choosing to get a JCW MINI as there are lots of people who feel it is not worth the expense. I of course disagree . But be aware that not all response will be positive...don't listen - most of them don't have a JCW and many may not have even had the opportunity to drive one.

You will not be disappointed. I do not doubt that there is more power to be had for probably less $$ from aftermarket stuff but for the same reasons that you posted I think the JCW is worth it TO ME (so please no flames from negative NAM'ers). My fiance has a 911 FULL OF MODS that he never enjoys because there always seems to be something not tuned perfectly. For the money he has spent over the years he could have an earlier model 911 or Boxter S that is actually MORE capable. Our plan is to stick to the overpriced JCW stuff throughout (suspension, CF materials etc.)

We hooked up our Gtech the other night and the results

2006 JCW Mini
NO mods
Michelin X-Ice winter tires
2 people in the car

G-Tech used for all info.

Conditions: -18 degrees C

0-60 mph times
Run 1 6.01 seconds-let out clutch at 3000 rpm, lots of wheelspin, had to lift before getting back on the throttle.
Run 2 5.98 seconds-got rolling before putting the hammer down, still some wheelspin but lost time when engine bounced off rev limiter.
Run 3 5.72 seconds-got rolling before giving full gas, some wheelspin and shifted as tach crossed 6500 rpm.

Ok, this should put to rest any arguement that the JCW package isn't much better than a stock MCS

The car is a dream We were sure to do a proper run-in and now we are really loving it!

Old 12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JCWGurl
Our plan is to stick to the overpriced JCW stuff throughout (suspension, CF materials etc.)
Actually, the JCW suspension is priced fairly well. Most aftermarket kits cost more for just struts alone.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weezer2282
Actually, the JCW suspension is priced fairly well. Most aftermarket kits cost more for just struts alone.
You cannot compare the JCW suspension to aftermarket stuff.

JCW is for street driving (spirited) per their own press releases .

Much of the aftermarket stuff is really for the track. Even Randy doesnt recommend coilovers for the street per his website. In fact the JCW suspension actually softens the ride a bit.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:12 PM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
Originally Posted by weezer2282
I personally don't think it's overpriced either...hence my razz but you will have many other people who think it is not as high a quality as some of the other aftermarket stuff that is less expensive. They may be right but I like to buy designer

Old 12-04-2005, 11:06 PM
ICEMAN
2nd Gear
I share a 2006 JCW MCS with JCWgurl and am very impressed with the car. I have spent the last 10 years and $30,000 trying to make a Porsche 911 into the perfect daily driver/auto-x car and the Mini does EVERYTHING better right out of the box. I did all the usual mods on the 911 and got the results that the aftermarket manufacturers claimed, except that all the parts were not engineered together so the car lost that solid feel that only factory engineered cars have. Some examples:

Short shift kit-shortened shift throws, felt more direct but also made it harder to find gears quickly.
Big brake kit-better pedal feel, shortened stopping distance but because all 4 brakes were not matched to each other, the fronts or rear brakes would lock up depending on conditions.
Weber carbs-Tons of power, amazing throttle response but needed disassembly and cleaning every 2 weeks for optimal performance.
Stiffer springs-tightened up handling, felt like a go-kart except that the stock shocks could no longer dampen the suspension motions-resulting in loss of traction over series of small bumps.
Adjustable shocks-solved damping problems but weren't designed for cooler weather and blew seals when driven during cold conditions.
Headers-In conjunction with Webers, made big HP numbers but created a drone inside the car that would drive even the most hardcore racer crazy.
And the result of all these mods? 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds, 60-0 mph in 109 feet and cornered at over 1g and let's not forget the 3 broken transmissions because Porsche did not engineer the thing to take all the extra power. So, my point is, you could spend less money and maybe get more power than we have with our JCW car but I promise you that you will not get a car that does everything as well as our car does. There may be flat spots in the power band, starting difficulties, flashing dash lights, an engine that will run too rich or too lean under certain conditions resulting in long term damage, slipping supercharger belts, failed belt tensioners, air filters that allow water to get sucked into the engine, engine parts that shake loose and fall off and an engine compartment that looks cobbled together. The aftermarket guys don't have to ensure that their parts last 4 years in the hands of even the worst driver, they only need to make extra power on a dyno or make the car feel stiffer when going around a corner. I love my Porsche as well but if I wanted a Porsche that did all those things, I should have saved my money and bought a newer Turbo and left it completely stock-and it would have better re-sale value to boot.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
edited (pointless)

Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
ICEMAN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
5.5 in a 911. Something doesnt sound right.

I have had several Porsches. I'm pretty sure our 911 Carrera ran 5.0 with no mods.

As to webers ... they are cool but everyone who touches them know they are a royal pain ... sorry about your experience

Headers shouldnt be an issue, thats just standard stuff

I cannot believe Porsche didnt engineer the car to handle the extra power ... Sorry you spent so much and are not pleased.

As to suspension stuff. I set up a 944 with all the suspension goodies, headers, catback, etc for xcross and I agree... that car was always in the shop. Way to low to the ground ...if you ran over a dime, it would bottom out. Its hard to get the perfect match. Car was always in the shop because of "overtinkering"

I am just surprised at your 911 experience because, unless you got a lemon, our experience was totally different.

As to JCW. You will find MANY people calling it CRAP... Why? because its way too expensive for what you get. When you say "I promise you that you will not get a car that does everything as well as our car does." I'll write that off to being new in the cult.

Take a look at some of the others cars like SpiderX or MSIFIT. I would bet their "aftermarket" cars does it much better.

If I sound like a JCW basher ... wrong. All the parts are engineered to work together. But SOMEBODY can always do it better ... and most likely have ... a cheaper.

BTW, read the thread on the JCW head and see what they think of that.

If your like your car, thats all that really matters in the end
It is a 1980 911SC, only the later cars would do 0-60 under 6 seconds when stock. I'm not saying Porsches are unreliable, as a matter of fact they have a reputation as being bulletproof. I wouldn't have had any problems with mine if I had left it stock, but I didn't. The model 915 transmission(developed in the early 70's for a 2.2 litre engine) that was used until 1986 could only handle 180 hp. 84-86 cars had a seperate oil pump that sprayed oil on tranny gears but mine didn't have that. When Porsche made the 911 Turbo (930) with 230 hp, they widened the gears in the 915 tranny and made the 5 speed into a 4 speed. My car made 240 hp on the dyno and made more torque than the 930, and the tranny couldn't take it. As for the aftermarket doing things better than the factory, I'm not making this stuff up and I'm not a newbie. I have been modding cars for many years and have plenty of experience. Like I said earlier, aftermarket companies often make more power for less money but there's no guarantee that all the parts will work together well or continue to work together for years to come. I'm a business owner, I have no time to tinker-all I want to do is get in and drive. As for "doing it cheaper" I made a list of some of the things I got as part of the JCW package and went to Minimania to compare prices. I didn't pick the most expensive parts, just the ones closest to what I have.
Airbox-$209.95
Head(stage 1-just basic porting)-$1895.00
Limited Slip Diff-$1195.00
Bigger front brakes-$1995.00
Exhaust-$817.99
ECU upgrade-$399.00
Pulley-$79.95
The total for these parts is $6591.89 and doesn't include labor, upgraded injectors, plugs or matching rear brakes. Plus, IMHO, the car wouldn't be worth a single dime more with these aftermarket mods. Now, I paid $5000.00 for the JCW package and got all these things, they work perfectly together, are under full warranty (no worries for 4 years-that's worth something) and the car will be worth more if I ever decide to sell it. All this being said, I am not discouraging anyone from tweaking their car, just don't get on my case because I chose to go with JCW.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an October build factory JCW... and to tell you the truth I preferred my last MINI with all my other aftermarket parts... They are much cheaper, sound better, and perform better than my factory JCW parts... but thats just my biased opinion.... go ALTA....

*except I DO LOVE LOVE LOVE my JCW suspension......*

Old 12-06-2005, 12:34 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
edited (pointless)

Old 12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
goaljnky
Banned
To be totaly fair, let us not speculate. The JCW brake kit has an established price. $1100 from the dealer. Regardless of how it compares, that is what it costs if purchased separately. Also, let's not forget that JCW comes with larger injectors and different wires (i think). About $450? Also, Chows left out the coast of the air box. Plus, I don't think you can readily dismiss the fact that LSD is included in the price of the factory JCW. It would still cost you $500 if you just ordered LSD without the JCW. So there is a tangible cost.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 PM
ICEMAN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
OK, lets look at what you wrote using your numbers:

LSD is NOT a JCW component. You cannot include the LSD. If you buy from the factory, they force you to get it. However, you can buy the TC and have the dealer install it and you can buy the LSD without the TC. It is NOT a JCW component. Someone buying an '06 car for aftermarket would buy the LSD, just as you so there is no difference.

The TC is comprised of (using your numbers):

Pulley - $80
catback - $817
SW - $400
Total $1217

As to the BBK, there is NO way you can compare the BREMBO BBK to JCW brakes. The JCW brakes dont even have new rear calipers. The best you can do is compare to MMs, Stage 2 upgrade kit. Anything higher means 4 calipers and JCW doesnt make them. so, At best you add $900

Total $1217
brakes $900
new total $2117

The last issue is the head. The JCW in no way compares to any head on the market. See this thread. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=jcw+head General consensus is that its crap.

at Best, I'll give your $500 worth on labor since they did scratch something on the head.

Thats makes "maybe" $2700 compare to your $5K.

Numbers are just numbers. they can be twisted anyway around. As long as your happy ... go for it

I would venture to believe that anyone going aftermarket could do it for 1/2 the price you paid and be just as fast. In fact, as most everyone knows the aftermarket is cutting edge while JCW is conservative.

That said, this is not to bash JCW. Its "refined". We are all MINI lovers and that is what counts I really hope you both enjoy your car
I was halfway through a wonderful response to your post, including facts, figures and such to show that you are incorrect, but then I realized I was wasting too much time on such a silly thing. Bottom line: No matter how fast, smart or cute your dog is, without papers it's still just a mongrel. It's great that you love your dog (somebody has to) but it's worthless to everyone but you. Please add me to your ignore list because I will be adding you to mine.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Precisely... (but DEFINITELY not worth an ignore list... that's overkill, ICEMAN)

Chows, if you're going to remove the value of the LSD from the JCW purchase, you then also need to subtract the COST of LSD from the JCW purchase price to consider it irrelevant. You failed to do that, still comparing aftermarket to the full JCW factory price.

As you said though, numbers can be twisted any way you want... and I agree that aftermarket will always be cheaper than JCW. The question is, for each individual Motorer, is the additional cost of JCW worth it, to them? And tha question can only be answered separately by each and every one of them.

Quick Reply: JCW PKG For 2006 Does anybody have one yet?