JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Suspension

I have heard this set up is coming in the 2005 JCW Sfor the US. My question is does anyone know much about these (performance, cost, if you can have them put onto a earlier model non JCW S)? Any info would be much apriciated.:smile:

Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Prw3
3rd Gear
The kit is just shy of a grand. I drove a 05 JCW with the suspension kit at the dealership and the ride is certainly not designed for street use. I'm sure it would be great for the track but simply way to stiff on the street.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:55 PM
XAlfa
Banned
It appears you can fit the kit to pre-05 cars

Originally Posted by forevercornered
I have heard this set up is coming in the 2005 JCW Sfor the US. My question is does anyone know much about these (performance, cost, if you can have them put onto a earlier model non JCW S)? Any info would be much apriciated.:smile:
As for fitting them to pre-05 cars, the official literature is confusing on the topic, but I received an email from JCG which makes it sound as if there is no problem:

--- Tony Franks <tf@johncooper.co.uk> wrote:
> From: "Tony Franks" <tf@johncooper.co.uk>
> Subject: works suspension
> Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:05:15 -0000
>
> dear sir
> the reason for this cut off point is for the BMW
> parts people,
> they only have a calculation chart for cars after
> that date to determine what springs to order.But if
> you require us to fit them we have all the parts in
> stock,please ring for a quote.
>
>
> tony
>

I've already asked for the spring part numbers for my car.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:04 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
That's good news for those of us with '02 and '03 cars!

The JCW suspension has definitely got my interest, because the press boilerplate for it says it only only drops the car about 10mm. One of the things I worry about with a coilover setup, and with many of the aftermarket spring sets, is that they all seem to drop the car at least a full inch (25.9mm). For the street, I don't want to loose too much suspension travel.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:49 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Update

I updated another thread in this forum with the following:

Just got confirmation from an engineer at JCG that the JCW suspension kit CAN be fitted to earlier (pre-05) cars, without modification, although there may be some contact issues at full compression. I had asked about the reference to modifying the "rear body flange" in the Mini bulletin on the kit and he replied:

"the body flange is not an issue on the earlier cars,.it is only a precaution from bmw if the dampers are fully compressed all the time."

Sounds like JCG is fitting these kits to pre-05 cars at their shop in the UK.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
The parts are just shy of 1k, but MINI has specified a fitting time of 5 hours (including a 2 hour wheel alignment ). So, in total, you could be looking at close to $1700 once you factor in tax and labor etc.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:31 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
The parts are just shy of 1k, but MINI has specified a fitting time of 5 hours (including a 2 hour wheel alignment ). So, in total, you could be looking at close to $1700 once you factor in tax and labor etc.
True, but no tax if you buy the parts out of state. And I don't think a dealer would install the kit on a pre-05 car, so labor costs would probably be a lot lower (but you'd potentially void the warranty). Not a great deal, no matter how you look at it.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
paul's s
2nd Gear
The JCW suspension kit is pricey. I was quoted +-$1800 (including tax) for my '05 cooper s, which includes new shocks and springs. The $1800 includes 6 hours in labor. The stock front and rear sway bars are left intact. The parts guy told me that the kit is designed to increase the handling performance of the car without making it too uncomfortable for street use.

I don't understand why it takes 6 hours to install new shocks and springs and do an alignment. I went the aftermarket route and had H-sport springs, a H-sport comp. rear sway bar, new lower control arms and had a new alignment done and it cost me around $1350. It took my mechanic about 3 hours max to do the whole job, including the allignment. By the way, the allignment took about 15 minutes.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Six hours is a long time, but that's the time they are given in the magic book.
I'm surprised about a couple of things I've read so far; this kit is too stiff for the street. The kit was developed specifically for the street and not the track??? Rear sway bar is not included??? Thought this was part of the kit??? Strut bar???

Old 01-11-2005, 11:31 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
More info from Ryephile's 2005 NAIAS thread:

"The John Cooper Works sports suspension lowers each MINI by up to 15 mm or 0.6", giving the car an even lower centre of gravity and making spring travel even shorter. Firm red coil springs show the connoisseur at first sight
what he – or she – is getting: Even better roadholding, enhanced agility and performance in bends, and the highest level of driving fun conceivable."

Old 01-11-2005, 02:05 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by minicoopermike
"Firm red coil springs show the connoisseur at first sight what he – or she – is getting: Even better roadholding, enhanced agility and performance in bends, and the highest level of driving fun conceivable."
In other words:

"Firm red coil springs show the connoisseur at first sight
what he – or she – is getting: extremely expensive red springs."

Old 01-11-2005, 02:10 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
I would really like to see a good review about these. And some pics to go along with it. The pics on the JCW don't show much, and the only reviews to date have been lacking.

I am really interested in this setup. It does seem sometimes that JCW provides a lot of nice visual information in their writeups, which makes you really question the performance aspects of the product. Although I am sure it is much better than the stock setup.