JCW JCW Pro Suspension (Coilovers)

Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 AM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
JCW Pro Suspension (Coilovers)

When ordering a new... Does anyone know if the JCW Pro Suspension can be installed at the factor or the port. Or is it a dealer only install option?
Thank you.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by invaliduser
When ordering a new... Does anyone know if the JCW Pro Suspension can be installed at the factor or the port. Or is it a dealer only install option?
Thank you.
I haven't done one, but my understanding is that it's a dealer installed item. But your dealer will know for sure. It probably doesn't make any difference either way it should be on your car when you pick it up and pay for it.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 AM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
The dealer told me that it was a dealer installed option, not a port one.

I passed cause they said the kit plus install was going to run around $6K. I told them hell no, plus they have never done one before. BIG RED FLAG in my book.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM
JCWsean
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a dealer only option. The dealer had a set in their parts inventory at the time I ordered my car. I paid $1400 for the coilovers and with no labor cost. They installed them right when the car came in. Try to negotiate a deal if you can.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:01 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
I had 2 dealers quote around $1000 labor (parts about $1500). Neither dealer said they had done them before and IMO played up the difficulty, so I ended up doing them myself. No different than any other strut job expect for a few new tools.
Congrad's and good luck with your new ride.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:02 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bluonyx
The dealer told me that it was a dealer installed option, not a port one.

I passed cause they said the kit plus install was going to run around $6K. I told them hell no, plus they have never done one before. BIG RED FLAG in my book.
$6k for that???? Heck that's about what my entire JCW "upgrade" cost: turbo, ECU, Brembos, and body kit. And the Sport Suspension option was only like $250 on my car. Yeah I know it's just the sway bars but still........

Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
$6k for that???? Heck that's about what my entire JCW "upgrade" cost: turbo, ECU, Brembos, and body kit. And the Sport Suspension option was only like $250 on my car. Yeah I know it's just the sway bars but still........
The F series is way more expensive. Brembos are about $3.5k for just the fronts. Willwoods are close to $2k for fronts. So brakes alone will account for that $6k after labor if you want "street cred" and go with Brembos. A turbo that's an actual upgrade starts around the $2k mark. Adding front a rear swaybars I'm getting quoted about $800 in just labor.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:27 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by El-Grunto
The F series is way more expensive. Brembos are about $3.5k for just the fronts. Willwoods are close to $2k for fronts. So brakes alone will account for that $6k after labor if you want "street cred" and go with Brembos. A turbo that's an actual upgrade starts around the $2k mark. Adding front a rear swaybars I'm getting quoted about $800 in just labor.
Yeah but how much is the JCW car compared to the F56 MCS? It includes all the stuff my JCW has (turbo, brakes, body kit). Is it still around $7k? And I got some 17" wheels and the steering wheel too.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:37 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
There's an $8k difference for base models. Turbo is the same between the S and JCW, While the brakes are included in the JCW coils are not. The standard JCW coils are actually an option for the S while the coils OP is talking about cost about $2k if added later - I don't know how much they are when optioned during the build but it's probably a little cheaper.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:34 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Gotcha. On the later Gen2 cars the turbo is different on the JCW than on the MCS (it was the same on the Gen1 cars I think). It's weird you can't get the JCW coilovers on the JCW but you can on the MCS. I know you can get the Sport Suspension "free" on the Gen3 JCW but that's only swaybars not coilovers

Old 04-11-2019, 03:54 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
You can get the upgraded coils on the JCW and the S it's just they don't come standard. And the standard coils for the JCW are also an option for the S.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:12 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
IIRC the Sport Suspension which is standard on the JCW stopped being offered as an option for the S after the '16 model. Also it's not just different sway bars since the shocks and springs have different part numbers from the base suspension.
And, $3.5K for the brembo front brakes? Where are you getting these prices? I know at $1350.00 I got a good deal on the complete JCW BBK (all four wheels) including the required reprogramming. My Independent Mini Tech ordered the parts, installed them, and programmed them for that price. That included installing the NM braided stainless brake lines that I supplied.
The JCW Pro coil overs are made by KW and are basically the V1 version, just a different color. You can find KW V1 sets all day for ~$1500 and my regular mechanic checked the labor hours by the book for installation and it came out to ~$500 labor.
My buddy has a lift and I'm going to be installing my RMW coil overs w/camber plates Saturday. The ones I'm taking off are BC Racing w/camber plates, and you can get those new for ~1K new.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
IIRC the Sport Suspension which is standard on the JCW stopped being offered as an option for the S after the '16 model. Also it's not just different sway bars since the shocks and springs have different part numbers from the base suspension.
And, $3.5K for the brembo front brakes? Where are you getting these prices? I know at $1350.00 I got a good deal on the complete JCW BBK (all four wheels) including the required reprogramming. My Independent Mini Tech ordered the parts, installed them, and programmed them for that price. That included installing the NM braided stainless brake lines that I supplied.
The JCW Pro coil overs are made by KW and are basically the V1 version, just a different color. You can find KW V1 sets all day for ~$1500 and my regular mechanic checked the labor hours by the book for installation and it came out to ~$500 labor.
My buddy has a lift and I'm going to be installing my RMW coil overs w/camber plates Saturday. The ones I'm taking off are BC Racing w/camber plates, and you can get those new for ~1K new.
The source on the Brembo pricing is pretty much any online retailer that sells them. ECS Tuning, VividRacing, MiniMania, etc. They're all priced around $3.5k for the fronts. Way Motor Works has the Willwood fronts on sale for $1.5k right now. The OEM JCW BBK isn't the same as a set of Brembos although they still work great and do cost a whole lot less at around $1.5k for all 4 corners .

Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by El-Grunto
The OEM JCW BBK isn't the same as a set of Brembos although they still work great and do cost a whole lot less at around $1.5k for all 4 corners .
The JCW BBK front brakes are Brembo. Sure, you can spend a butt load of money on 6 piston Brembo's, but on a Mini IMHO that would be serious overkill. If the standard JCW brakes (same as BBK) are good enough for the IMSA Minis they should be able to handle anything we throw at them. Although the ST class is no more, they're still running the same brakes this season. When mine have a bunch more miles on them I'll rebuild them using stainless steel pistons, but other than that and good pads I don't believe I'll need any more than that.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Yes it's a dealer installed option, but install cost and parts cost will vary from dealer to dealer. We have done several sets as people have brought us many brand new cars we do it right after they get it, or we have installed the KW V2 set which is very similar, but has rebound adjustment.
We keep them in stock
https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...-cooper-s.html

But KW also has a rebate of $250 on the V2 right now so they are an even better bargain and you get adj rebound
https://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-var...overs-f56.html

Either way I would also install one of our bigger rear sway bars as they are really easy to do while the rear springs are out, and will improve the handling even more
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-25...5-f56-f57.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
The one bad thing about the OEM JCW Brembos is that they have a clip that is stuck on the pads that get inserted into the pistons defeating the ability to replace the pads without removing the calipers. Another thing is that the pistols are plastic.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:11 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
Another thing is that the pistols are plastic.
Yep. That's why I'll upgrade to stainless steel when I get a few more miles on the car. I only have ~10K on my brakes.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:19 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The JCW Pro coil overs are made by KW and are basically the V1 version, just a different color.
There is a slight spring rate difference between the JCW Pro and KW V1.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
The one bad thing about the OEM JCW Brembos is that they have a clip that is stuck on the pads that get inserted into the pistons defeating the ability to replace the pads without removing the calipers. Another thing is that the pistols are plastic.
Aftermarket replacement pads don't have this clip. after the first replacement, you can then just pull the pads without removing the caliper.

I didn't know the pistons were plastic though. You sure it's not just a protective coating on a steel or aluminum piston to prevent wear and corrosion?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was "hopeful" it might be a factory or port install option to be legal for DS classing (SCCA Solo). But the way I read the rules, if dealer installs it, you get bumped to STU. I suppose I could write the letter to main office for a judgement... but I don't see them allowing it.

The following users liked this post:
Blainestang (12-11-2020)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RLM
You sure it's not just a protective coating on a steel or aluminum piston to prevent wear and corrosion?
Check this thread for a picture of the pistons.https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-rebuild.html

Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Check this thread for a picture of the pistons.https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-rebuild.html
The thread quoted here is for the R56 JCW brembo's, not the F56 JCW brembos. I have not been able to find anything mentioning anywhere that the F56 JCW brakes still have that plastic bit on them to reduce heat transfer to the piston. I also cannot find anyone selling a piston upgrade for them. From my research, it looks like the older M3's also had this piece of plastic with similar problems and had aftermarket companies do SS pistons as well. from what I can find the new M3's dont have it and no aftermarket pistons as a result. It would appear as if BMW learned from this mistake and has corrected it.

If anyone has info to the contrary, please let me know and please point me to where I can buy the SS pistons for these brakes. If I have some time this weekend, I'll open mine up and take a look at the pistons.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Yeah they have different numbers but they are basically identical to the base suspension. And the sway bars aren't as thick as the aftermarket ones either. The SS is better but not WAY better. Waddaya want for $250?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:28 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RLM
The thread quoted here is for the R56 JCW brembo's, not the F56 JCW brembos. I have not been able to find anything mentioning anywhere that the F56 JCW brakes still have that plastic bit on them to reduce heat transfer to the piston. I also cannot find anyone selling a piston upgrade for them. From my research, it looks like the older M3's also had this piece of plastic with similar problems and had aftermarket companies do SS pistons as well. from what I can find the new M3's dont have it and no aftermarket pistons as a result. It would appear as if BMW learned from this mistake and has corrected it.

If anyone has info to the contrary, please let me know and please point me to where I can buy the SS pistons for these brakes. If I have some time this weekend, I'll open mine up and take a look at the pistons.
I have OEM brembo's off of a JCW in front of me now. I can confirm that the pistons are steel and have zero plastic. The only plastic part is the rubber boot/seal for the piston.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by charrigan
I have OEM brembo's off of a JCW in front of me now. I can confirm that the pistons are steel and have zero plastic. The only plastic part is the rubber boot/seal for the piston.
This will help me sleep better at night. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW JCW Pro Suspension (Coilovers)