First in line for 2020 JCW GP! >

JCW First in line for 2020 JCW GP!

JCW First in line for 2020 JCW GP!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First in line for 2020 JCW GP!

Good day to all - well, I’m sure most everybody by now has seen the Road and Track article on the 2020 JCW GP. I have a link below in case you haven’t. So I popped in to see my buddy/SA on Saturday to get an update. I even got to see some pics that I really wasn’t supposed to see. I am at the top of the waiting list for a build spot. So it’s the standard GP deal here, 500 cars will be sold in the US, supposedly 2000 worldwide. So I’m not trying to start a war here, but I think we all know that 2013 was an absolute bust. I mean no disrespect to ‘13 owners, but come on. 2 less HP than a standard JCW, pretty much the same body, just no back seats and a better suspension. That’s about it! So on the 2020 version, I think there will be 2 camps. 1 that absolutely LOVES the concept (like me), and 2.....those that are going to hate it! Like the roll cage, no music, no back seats, a huge wing, those crazy side panels...and everything else. And who knows how close the concept car is going to be to the actual production car. I’m just saying that if it comes out in black, and somehow looks just like the concept....I will love it!

So one thing about this forum, is the vast majority here are cool with whatever the owner wants....and thinks their car is perfect for their taste, everyone seems to respect that. I think the concept car is incredible, while on the other hand I know that a lot of people are going to hate it. And I’m perfectly fine with that! I’m just very excited that I am on top of the “build list”. Picture and video below.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ming-for-2020/

Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 229 Likes on 187 Posts
It looks great and I think that is going to be the selling factor in the GP but if you look at the engine specs .... meh

I like building mine up, but don't get me wrong, I love the concept designs and if it looks like anything like that then Im interested for sure

Old 01-21-2019, 07:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 368 Likes on 324 Posts
That's cool we hope it is something really serious.

Keep in mind last time current GP owners got first option to buy 2 weeks before anyone else could place a GP order. That is how I got my GP2.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
KYDan (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 AM
KYDan
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I was not aware that current owners got first shot at the GP until I read the above post! That said, my mini dealer assured me that I would get the first shot at one. I have not had a GP before, but I did purchase an R56 JCW and an F56 JCW from them and I really love both of them.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 AM
MikeMJCW
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My lawyer say's it'll cost $35k just to start the divorce proceedings! Roll cage is awesome but could wreak havoc on the first responders when they try to peel me out, after they tip it back upright. [color=left=#333333]Just kidding here folks.
I couldn't find the engine spec's (official ones?). I'm going to call my dealer see if he has any more info.
Good luck and congrad's to those on the waiting list![/color]

Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 229 Likes on 187 Posts
Im close to 280hp so its tough to justify the price but man, its sexy as heck

Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If it looks anything like the pix on the Motoringfile site it's freaking great. And 280 HP should be enough right? Considering my R58 JCW cost about $39k then $45k isn't too bad either. I'll probably never even see one in person either because the GP is pretty much a track car which isn't what I need (which is a DD). But they look very cool IMO.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 01-22-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM
02fanatic
5th Gear
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts
I'll be very surprised if they keep the body accoutrements in the final design for the 3rd Gen GP! But, if so, that would be awesome for sure!

Old 01-22-2019, 11:11 AM
KYDan
4th Gear
They will probably offer them as an add on at additional cost most likely. I think I read somewhere they plan to offer six add ons as factory installed options. I am wondering what they will be.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 PM
elsnaibs
2nd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
It's a bit sad that mine is more powerful with only a tune, no other go-fast parts. However, I like the concept and some of the ideas behind it, though I expect a HUGE amount of the concept will be toned down in the final production design.

And the cost is very likely to be prohibitive for me anyways.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MikeMJCW View Post
My lawyer say's it'll cost $35k just to start the divorce proceedings! Roll cage is awesome but could wreak havoc on the first responders when they try to peel me out, after they tip it back upright. [color=left=#333333]Just kidding here folks.
I couldn't find the engine spec's (official ones?). I'm going to call my dealer see if he has any more info.
Good luck and congrad's to those on the waiting list![/color]
LMAO!! I can tell you that after talking with my SA (are they still called SA’s?), that the new GP is going to be just over 300 hp, regardless of what the articles are saying. Again this is info that I’m not really supposed to have. But their not going to offer both the Countryman AND the Clubman JCW’s at over 300 hp, and not have the GP less than 300. Again, nothing to back this up, just some “keep your mouth shut” info I was given. But I’m typing it.....not saying it. So that’s ok!

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie View Post
Im close to 280hp so its tough to justify the price but man, its sexy as heck
Hell ya! I’m with you. This is by far the sexiest Mini I’ve ever seen. One thing I forgot to mention, is the curb weight. I believe the 2013 was around 2950? One of the other “keep it on the downlow” comments I got was they are going to be around 2700 lbs. Again I have nothing but a conversation to back this up, but the lighter it is the faster it is!

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
If it looks anything like the pix on the Motoringfile site it's freaking great. And 280 HP should be enough right? Considering my R58 JCW cost about $39k then $45k isn't too bad either. I'll probably never even see one in person either because the GP is pretty much a track car which isn't what I need (which is a DD). But they look very cool IMO.
I’m certain that a lot of people will have the same opinion as you. Like I said above however, it is supposed to come out with over 300 hp, regardless of what the press is saying. I know I’m repeating myself, but my source is a 20+ year Mini SA, and this is supposed to be on the down low. Plus keep in mind that this is basically a “street legal” race car. So unlike the Gen 3’s it should be built with the appropriate ancillary parts, so it should be major “tunable”. I would expect someone like Mario to be able to flash this beast up in the 400 hp range!
Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
I'll be very surprised if they keep the body accoutrements in the final design for the 3rd Gen GP! But, if so, that would be awesome for sure!
Totally agree! I would love to see it turn out exactly like the concept! Especially in black. But who knows. They could make changes, make some of it an “add on”(s), whatever. I’m just going to keep my fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks View Post
That's cool we hope it is something really serious.

Keep in mind last time current GP owners got first option to buy 2 weeks before anyone else could place a GP order. That is how I got my GP2.
See ya learn something new every day! I had no idea that there was a GP2!

Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
I was not aware that current owners got first shot at the GP until I read the above post! That said, my mini dealer assured me that I would get the first shot at one. I have not had a GP before, but I did purchase an R56 JCW and an F56 JCW from them and I really love both of them.
Ya I hear what you’re saying! The reason I get first crack probably has something to do with me buying 5 Mini’s in 8 years! Ya think LOL! Oh, and 4 of them were for my wife. I finally switched over to my first Mini in 2016. This is after around 20 years of Beamers. I guess technically I still am a Beamer owner.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 AM
MikeMJCW
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Since no one has said this yet I'll be the first- the GP3 concept is less "Cute-sy". They seem to get less "cute" each model year IMO. It reminds me a bit of the 80's Renault 5 Turbo.
FYI My dealer had no info on it. Maybe they'll match or beat the Ford Focus RS's 350hp #.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MikeMJCW View Post
Since no one has said this yet I'll be the first- the GP3 concept is less "Cute-sy". They seem to get less "cute" each model year IMO. It reminds me a bit of the 80's Renault 5 Turbo.
FYI My dealer had no info on it. Maybe they'll match or beat the Ford Focus RS's 350hp #.
Ya wouldn’t that be cool! So the thing is that Mini has 4 major things going on. The Countryman JCW will be getting that 300+ hp engine, same thing for the Clubman JCW, they have their electric car that is very soon to come out, and then finally the GP. So the power numbers I’ve been quoting are once again....coming straight from my buddy/ SA at the dealership. He is telling me that because the GP is supposed to be their hot *** “racing car”, that their is “no way they’re going to release it with a hp rating less than all their other cars”. And that makes sense. This car is totally made to go very fast. Hence the extra use of carbon fiber, no backseats...ect. I just hopes it comes out just like the concept.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM
KYDan
4th Gear
It is not supposed to be cute, is should be MEAN (Making Extremely Aggressive Numbers)! However, the handling is the really big deal, that's what mini has always been about.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
It is not supposed to be cute, is should be MEAN (Making Extremely Aggressive Numbers)! However, the handling is the really big deal, that's what mini has always been about.
l could not agree with you more! It is definitely supposed to look “mean”, and right now if no changes are made, that’s going to be smoking! What the hell who need back seats? And who needs music! For me personally I have NEVER had anyone even sit in the back of my JCW, plus I never listen to music! I LOVE simply listening to the car!

The following users liked this post:
KYDan (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM
KYDan
4th Gear
I have been surfing on a cold winter day and having mini dreams. This video warned me up.

https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/mi...p-concept.html

Old 01-31-2019, 04:53 PM
02fanatic
5th Gear
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts
Awesome Dan! Hold on Spring is only 49 days off my friend! Wolfgang sits in the garage on a battery tender waiting for "warmth"! Hope it's really close to 50 next week like they say!

Old 01-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
[QUOTEI have been surfing on a cold winter day and having mini dreams. This video warned me up.
][/QUOTE]

Have you tried Bikini Car wash Videos yet?? It sure helps me.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:18 PM
KYDan
4th Gear
I would settle for a plain car wash for MITEY 2. The car washes will be busy Saturday and Sunday, but rain which is a heckava lot better than the snow we have now. Next week is supposed to be in the 60s! When I become cold and grumpy I have the GP video to warm me up! We are having the house remodeled and it is a mess. Bad timing too with the Arctic south the last few days. The mini has done great in the snow and I was pleasantly surprised with the traction with the A/S 3's!

Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 PM
mountainhorse
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

SOLID !

Old 02-03-2019, 12:50 AM
Clutch Wotan
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post

SOLID !

Very cool pics! I have not seen these. Thanks for posting them!

Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone with the expectation that the F56 GP will look like the concept design study prepare yourself for a big letdown. There have been mostly undisguised GP's testing on the ring for months. The only major exterior changes are wider fender flares to accommodate wider wheels and tires, a very large wing (similar to the GP design study), and larger exhaust. The changes are going to mainly be engine, trans, suspension, some aero, and wheels/tires.

Do NOT expect the car to have a roll cage. When you add a roll cage into the mix you are changing impact performance, crumple zones, airbag timing, seatbelt timing. They would need to crash dozens of cars to rework the car to meet safety regs. Frankly bmw is not going to approve the cost to crash multiple vehicles for a ~3000 car or less build especially on an outgoing model.

All signs are pointing to the GP receiving the new b48 engine and 8AT Aisin trans with torsen based LSD that is being used in the x2 m35i. This version of the b48 which is 302hp 332lbft has a larger turbo, lower compression pistons, possibly upgraded rods but that is not confirmed yet, upgraded crank, and larger main bearings.

The following 2 users liked this post by charrigan:
dpcompt (02-05-2019), JKo (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 AM
KYDan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by charrigan View Post
Anyone with the expectation that the F56 GP will look like the concept design study prepare yourself for a big letdown. There have been mostly undisguised GP's testing on the ring for months. The only major exterior changes are wider fender flares to accommodate wider wheels and tires, a very large wing (similar to the GP design study), and larger exhaust. The changes are going to mainly be engine, trans, suspension, some aero, and wheels/tires.

Do NOT expect the car to have a roll cage. When you add a roll cage into the mix you are changing impact performance, crumple zones, airbag timing, seatbelt timing. They would need to crash dozens of cars to rework the car to meet safety regs. Frankly bmw is not going to approve the cost to crash multiple vehicles for a ~3000 car or less build especially on an outgoing model.

All signs are pointing to the GP receiving the new b48 engine and 8AT Aisin trans with torsen based LSD that is being used in the x2 m35i. This version of the b48 which is 302hp 332lbft has a larger turbo, lower compression pistons, possibly upgraded rods but that is not confirmed yet, upgraded crank, and larger main bearings.
Interesting information, thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW First in line for 2020 JCW GP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: