JCW Jcw with Dinan elite

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Mrduder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcw with Dinan elite

So I'm going to be getting the Dinan elite tune for my new 2019 jcw. Does anyone have 0-60 times for this tune? I can't seem to find anything.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We have installed several but haven't had anyone do any timed runs like that yet.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dinan-...ng-module.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
Ray777 (02-08-2021)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Mrduder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We have installed several but haven't had anyone do any timed runs like that yet.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dinan-...ng-module.html
Is that the same one for the jcw or is that just for the cooper s?

Old 01-07-2019, 07:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrduder
Is that the same one for the jcw or is that just for the cooper s?
There is a drop down menu on the page that you select the production date and if it is a JCW or not as they are all different.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-08-2019, 04:01 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Having a 2018 JCW with the Dinan Elite tune I'd just offer a few thoughts about 0-60 time as a measure of performance improvement...
  • The car can spin the front tires on a fairly sticky dry road by use of throttle only - in the bottom two gears (why)
  • Depending on tires, the front end may "hop" a bit under these conditions
  • RE-71R did hop, so much so that I no longer spin on an autocross launch with this car - less traction, less hop
  • Best results on a standing start will thus be helped by lower front tire pressure - outside recommended range

The point here is that 0-60 times for a 250+ hp FWD car set up for road use are very driver dependent, as the car is traction limited.

I am not volunteering either, as the 1-2 shift would make me wince for the drive train!

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 AM
elsnaibs
2nd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cmt52663
Having a 2018 JCW with the Dinan Elite tune I'd just offer a few thoughts about 0-60 time as a measure of performance improvement...
  • The car can spin the front tires on a fairly sticky dry road by use of throttle only - in the bottom two gears (why)
  • RE-71R did hop, so much so that I no longer spin on an autocross launch with this car - less traction, less hop
  • Best results on a standing start will thus be helped by lower front tire pressure - outside recommended range

The point here is that 0-60 times for a 250+ hp FWD car set up for road use are very driver dependent, as the car is traction limited.

I am not volunteering either, as the 1-2 shift would make me wince for the drive train!

Cheers,

Charlie
I second this. Tires, road conditions, driver skill, and other factors have SO MUCH impact on 0-60 times. My Federal 595's vs my MPSS tires would probably alone change the results by a considerable margin.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cmt52663

Cheers,

Charlie
i am completely with you on this one. In fact every point you make is valid. The one thing I really dislike about my JCW, is the lower gear shifting ratios. I mean from a stop position, then jumping on it....it’s frustrating. I literally have to shift in about 1/3 of a second cause I have a manual. Hell a Corvette Z which goes from 0-60 in what...like 2.9 seconds? It’s done in first gear!
When I had my “moderately” tuned new ‘07 e90 335 (Vishnu Procede) I had a buddy who lent me that Bell GPS tracker thing, and all you had to do was set it, place on the passenger seat, and it would track your 0-60, 60-100, 0-100, and even 100-0. It was great! I was getting consistent 0-60 speeds in the 4.4 to 4.6 range. I have know idea what my 0-60 times are with my JCW. Hell I rarely “launch” it. When I want to hit it hard, I usually start with a rolling second gear run.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:27 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Is this the same Dinan Elite tune that screwed up some other Mini owner's car for like 8 months before the dealer (who sold it and installed it) figured out it was the problem. And Dinan was nowhere to be found wrt the guy getting his money back? I got the impression Dinan was folded up like a circus tent now.
I think the tread is on this page: Problems with 2019 JCW Clubman . Or something like that.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
With all these problems with Dinan, what are some of the alternative tunes available?

Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 AM
Wes Hammer
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Be warned....Dinan is going through some issues right now, read my thread about all the problems mine caused me. Three weeks later I still have no resolution. After the tune was installed at the dealer I had a cat go bad, an o2 sensor, and a fuel pump, all on a new 2019. Tune was removed and everything is fine but Dinan is unresponsive. Dealer has contacted them multiple times, I called and emailed with no response. Finally spoke with someone yesterday morning and they claim my call is the first they’ve heard of it when I know for a fact that is a lie. I went with the Dinan because it is “warranted” but they sure don’t make it easy.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 AM
YSoBlue
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No Issues

I don't believe Dinan is going through anything. I believe there are issues with a few items of a mass produced product. Pretty much the same as you would find with any product....and I mean ANY PRODUCT. It is very unfortunate that some have had issues with the tuner and even worse that they have had trouble getting resolution. However, I do not believe it is a systemic problem. For every one who has had issues, there are vastly more who do not have issues. I have the Elite on my 2019 JCW and have not had one hiccup. (knock on wood) It has run like a scolded dog since installed with no lights, whistles, clunks, or clangs. I would do it again today. Yes, you should always do your homework, and make an educated decision. But do not base your decisions only on negative opinions, as you will never experience the thrill of what the after-market / modernization world has to offer. Just my $.02

The following 2 users liked this post by YSoBlue:
fridayxiii (01-15-2019), masternut (01-18-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Wes Hammer
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed....even with my issues, I’m not hesitating to put a new one on!

The following users liked this post:
YSoBlue (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Wes Hammer
Be warned....Dinan is going through some issues right now, read my thread about all the problems mine caused me. Three weeks later I still have no resolution. After the tune was installed at the dealer I had a cat go bad, an o2 sensor, and a fuel pump, all on a new 2019. Tune was removed and everything is fine but Dinan is unresponsive. Dealer has contacted them multiple times, I called and emailed with no response. Finally spoke with someone yesterday morning and they claim my call is the first they’ve heard of it when I know for a fact that is a lie. I went with the Dinan because it is “warranted” but they sure don’t make it easy.
I'm just a bystander because my tune is for a Gen 2 Mini. As I understand it the Dinan tune is a "clip on box" not a true ECU reprogram tune. Is there such a thing for the Gen 3 cars? When I got mine installed (not at a dealer of course) the guy who did it said most of his business is from people who did a "clip on box" tune module and weren't happy with it.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 AM
elsnaibs
2nd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I'm just a bystander because my tune is for a Gen 2 Mini. As I understand it the Dinan tune is a "clip on box" not a true ECU reprogram tune. Is there such a thing for the Gen 3 cars? When I got mine installed (not at a dealer of course) the guy who did it said most of his business is from people who did a "clip on box" tune module and weren't happy with it.
I have a flash tune from Evolve, and there are a few others out there, too. Bytronik has one (like the Evolve, it's done through the OBDii), and Mario Palza has an RPM flash for the F56 as well.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I've got the Dinan Elite on my 2016 JCW. I've had it for the past year and a half with zero issues. I installed it in about 30 minutes. I've really enjoyed the extra power I get, and I don't even need to put the car in sport mode to feel a great deal of torque in all the gears.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:44 PM
rmathiesen
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dinan customer service

I have to say Dinan customer service for me was outstanding. I got an turbo over pressure engine code. They sent me a new tuner to my house within 6 days of my first email. No questions asked. I put dielectric grease on connectors of original unit and haven’t gotten the code again. I have put 4000 miles on this tuner. I love the power and performance it has given my 2015 mini F55. I would say the bugs have been worked out. However if you have an issue they take care of you really fast. As long as you registered tuner for the warranty. Cheers happy motoring.

P.S.
At 145 she had plenty left to go
more. Fecking amazing.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:56 PM
madmix
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rmathiesen
I have to say Dinan customer service for me was outstanding. I got an turbo over pressure engine code. They sent me a new tuner to my house within 6 days of my first email. No questions asked. I put dielectric grease on connectors of original unit and haven’t gotten the code again. I have put 4000 miles on this tuner. I love the power and performance it has given my 2015 mini F55. I would say the bugs have been worked out. However if you have an issue they take care of you really fast. As long as you registered tuner for the warranty. Cheers happy motoring.

P.S.
At 145 she had plenty left to go
more. Fecking amazing.
i agree Dinan took care of me as well they sent me new unit and harness to resolve my problem

Last edited by madmix; 02-02-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:58 AM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
My 3rd Elite module has been fine for over 2 years now. The first two kept throwing codes "waste gate" within weeks of initial install. I posted (whined) about it on another thread. The dealer Mini of Peabody took care of the issue.
It would be tough driving the car now without the tune, makes a big difference. I'm not a 0-60 guy either so can't help you there.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 AM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Wink

I really wanted to get to get the Dinan Elite but I was worried about it causing issues with the car or just not working properly. I figured the easiest thing to do was write off my 2017 JCW F54 in an accident (which I did...so awesome) so now I await my 2021 JCW F54...problem solved.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:08 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Masada
I really wanted to get to get the Dinan Elite but I was worried about it causing issues with the car or just not working properly. I figured the easiest thing to do was write off my 2017 JCW F54 in an accident (which I did...so awesome) so now I await my 2021 JCW F54...problem solved.
Does the 2021 JCW F54 have more horsepower like the 2020 JCW Clubman (300) does ?

Old 02-03-2021, 02:33 PM
Masada
3rd Gear
Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Does the 2021 JCW F54 have more horsepower like the 2020 JCW Clubman (300) does ?
I am not sure what year they changed the F54 to that new engine they use in the (X2M and 135M I believe). It was in be 2020 model year for sure, not sure if it happened for 2019. I do look forward to that power bump. So the 2021 and 2020 models do have the same engine.

Cheers

Old 02-03-2021, 03:20 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Masada
I am not sure what year they changed the F54 to that new engine they use in the (X2M and 135M I believe). It was in be 2020 model year for sure, not sure if it happened for 2019. I do look forward to that power bump. So the 2021 and 2020 models do have the same engine.

Cheers
The 2020 JCW Clubman I have is the BMW M235i engine with 305 HP. I'm sure the F54 JCW isn't that one, only the Clubman/Countryman.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:54 AM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I think Dinan has really gotten their act together now. My first two units produced outstanding performance, but CELs were common (both units were produced in 2019). When I contacted them earlier this year, they overnighted an entire new kit (module and harness). Since then, I have experienced no codes and the performance is significantly improved.