JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Which Tune

Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Which Tune

I am currently running the setup below. It pulls nicely to redline, no notable drop off in power anymore up top. Absolutely loving the JMTC S42. What I'm after is 18-19 PSI, deleting the downstream O2 sensor faults. Otherwise the car is running great. Looking for options other than Manic!

2013 R59S Auto, w/JCW body/wheels
JMTC Quick Spool S42 (45mm version)
JMTC Universal intake hose adapted to work as shortram
Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler
Hard charge pipes both hot and cold side
2.5" no-cat downpipe
stock exhaust after the downpipe (no interest in changing it)
JB+

Engine codes, only from downstream O2. Occasionally I get a 00bd code, MAF flow too high, which is usually after a bit of playing at high RPM, clearly from the new turbo.

I'm not after 250whp, 210-220 would be fine, more interested in eliminating the O2 codes.

Data-logging currently shows the below AFRs typically:
14.5:1 - Cruising/light throttle
13.7:1 - Part throttle, light boost
11.9:1 - Full throttle

Last edited by Claviger; 12-04-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:42 AM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Hit up Mario for a tune from RPM and see what he can offer to you. mariopalza@gmail.com
The tune really wakes the car up with the bigger turbo.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I second this! Get in touch with Mariokart he can hook you up. Love the RPM tune he did for me!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:36 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Don't know why you rule out Manic --- lotsa cars out there with his tunes, stages 1 thru 4, and he's back in business, just contact a dealer for more info. I swear by (not at) my stage 4.

RPM is also becoming popular --- they're even developing a stage 4, just not yet available. Another newer one is based in FL, run by a very reputable and knowledgeable guy. Check out www.prototype-r.com All will do stages 1 & 2 via mail-in.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Sokol
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mario just tuned my 13 GP , love it...

Old 12-06-2018, 04:40 PM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Keep seeing that JMTC S42 turbo you have being used, but how much better is it over the stock JCW turbo (quicker spool with more boost)?
Looks like you need to ditch that JB+, get yourself a downpipe, and get the RPM Stage 3 tune from Mario!!!
I want Stage 3 myself, but undecided on which turbo to get.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by KCLARK
Keep seeing that JMTC S42 turbo you have being used, but how much better is it over the stock JCW turbo (quicker spool with more boost)?
Looks like you need to ditch that JB+, get yourself a downpipe, and get the RPM Stage 3 tune from Mario!!!
I will have more turbos this week 😉

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
get the RPM Stage 3 tune from Mario!!!
I also jump on the wagon to wholeheartedly endorse Mario.
My JCW turns into a total beast, I ran out of roads via taking it (too) easily over triple digits on my daily commute.
I have to SLOW down~!
I haven't even install the his DP yet and wonder if I even need it, which itself is definitely one of the highest quality piece
in the entire aftermarket arena for Minis.

I am eyeballing a JCW Countryman, if I can get it for a great price, will def spend the savings and the DP on her with a tune from
Mario....AGAIN! without a doubt!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I have a JMTC 40mm turbo very much like your JCW turbo, and have recently installed and driven one with 42mm also
My opinion is they are both very good turbos for making more power through a higher RPM range than the factory turbo. The 40 takes just a few more rpm to spool up than stock, and the 42 takes just a tad longer than that.
with that out of the way, both cars have RPM tunes. Both are 2012 R60’s. But not entirely the same, mine is All4, the other is fwd. But, I love the way both feel! I like the little bit quicker spool I get, but the 42 deftmakes a little more power for a little bit longer. I really dig mine for everyday driving, but the 42 would probably be a better choice if you wanted to track or autocross with it. Truthfully I think you would probably be happy with either one, I would be. But in the end it will come down to what you personally want. You could always throw a huge Garret on there with Mario’s kit and make BIG horsepower! Ha ha.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gelmobile
I also jump on the wagon to wholeheartedly endorse Mario.
My JCW turns into a total beast, I ran out of roads via taking it (too) easily over triple digits on my daily commute.
I have to SLOW down~!
I haven't even install the his DP yet and wonder if I even need it, which itself is definitely one of the highest quality piece
in the entire aftermarket arena for Minis.

I am eyeballing a JCW Countryman, if I can get it for a great price, will def spend the savings and the DP on her with a tune from
Mario....AGAIN! without a doubt!
With a Countryman a tune is a must! It’s just heavy and sluggish before. And it’s amazing after!

Old 12-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Regarding S42 spool, well, its not slow or late whatsoever. More than 10 PSI by 2000 RPM and damn near instant throttle response when you boot it, it is still, after all, a K03.

I am staying away from Manic for a few reasons, but the primary one is the knock sensor adjustments, something I don't agree with for a motor with hypereutectic (read explosive) pistons.

RPM also happen to be near me so I can get it dialed in instead of using a remote canned tune, which, I prefer. To me the term "stage" means nothing, it's marketing fluff.

I just really dislike the lack of transparency involved with remote tunes.

I appreciate the input all.

Last edited by Claviger; 12-08-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:57 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well you have your reasons, but I've ran a Manic tune for well over 20,000 miles without any issues and drove the snot out of it. I didn't run a larger turbo because the JCW turbo had more than enough flow for what I needed/wanted. I've also known several local folks running higher levels of power from Manic tunes with bigger turbos and had zero problems.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
I dont have anything against Manic, just not much experience with them. When I got my tune, I could have gone stage 2 Manic and had multiple maps. Which was super tempting, believe me. But I figured that once I settled on a map I liked, I probably would never change it anyway, so ..... and then the other contributor was the fact that I upgraded my turbo and Manic wasn’t offering a stage 3 tune anymore.
I also liked the idea of the progressive boost curve that RPM has.
That said, I’ve driven a couple of Mini’s with Manic tunes and have nothing negative to say about them.

I apologize, my sausage fingers combined with auto correct really did a number on that post. I think I have fixed most of my errors

Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not go?

With Aric's tune? He sold you the turbo in AZ right? He knows what he's talking about. Saving the life of mine with his advice. - just curious -

Originally Posted by Claviger
I am currently running the setup below. It pulls nicely to redline, no notable drop off in power anymore up top. Absolutely loving the JMTC S42. What I'm after is 18-19 PSI, deleting the downstream O2 sensor faults. Otherwise the car is running great. Looking for options other than Manic!

2013 R59S Auto, w/JCW body/wheels
JMTC Quick Spool S42 (45mm version)
JMTC Universal intake hose adapted to work as shortram
Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler
Hard charge pipes both hot and cold side
2.5" no-cat downpipe
stock exhaust after the downpipe (no interest in changing it)
JB+

Engine codes, only from downstream O2. Occasionally I get a 00bd code, MAF flow too high, which is usually after a bit of playing at high RPM, clearly from the new turbo.

I'm not after 250whp, 210-220 would be fine, more interested in eliminating the O2 codes.

Data-logging currently shows the below AFRs typically:
14.5:1 - Cruising/light throttle
13.7:1 - Part throttle, light boost
11.9:1 - Full throttle

Old 12-18-2018, 04:04 PM
jcwcoopster
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
Well you have your reasons, but I've ran a Manic tune for well over 20,000 miles without any issues and drove the snot out of it. I didn't run a larger turbo because the JCW turbo had more than enough flow for what I needed/wanted. I've also known several local folks running higher levels of power from Manic tunes with bigger turbos and had zero problems.
i second your use of a Manic. I run stage 2 on my JCW and love it!!! I have the Oe turbo and Akrapovic DP and full exhaust. It’s a beast.