JCW What Mode in Snow, Green, Standard, Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 AM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What Mode in Snow, Green, Standard, Sport?

Southern driver getting ready to go drive in some snow. Manual, JCW with BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-60 RFT tires.
Which mode handles the snow the best. I was thinking the dreaded Green Mode as I wouldn't get wheel spin. Do the modes change the gear ratio and does that make a difference?

In addition DSC or DTC on or off?

Last edited by nclorax; 11-20-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Add question
Old 11-20-2018, 01:50 PM
rsinsheimer
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to ask -- you have manual transmission -- how could the modes "change the gear ratio"?

It is true that with an automatic the modes do seem to change the shift points, though that may just be a reflection of the adjustment they make to how the Throttle Position Sensor is interpreted.

As is traditional around here, I'll state a completely uninformed opinion (never have driven a MINI in the snow) that the green mode would naturally put out less power so would be less likely to lose traction on acceleration.

As for DSC, that should be your friend in less-than-great traction conditions, that's what it's there for.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-control.html

On the other hand, if you want to hoon around on an empty parking lot, you'd want everything you can get turned off to release the fun.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Manual or auto, don't do anything quickly. Go in to slow motion mode especially when starting from a stop. If you start to slide, pump the brakes and get it out of gear, don't mash 'em down. And it demands repeating: Find an empty parking lot and have some fun. Did that with our Venezuelan AFS exchange student and it's one of his best memories. He'd never seen snow.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:32 PM
rsinsheimer
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Fly'n Brick,

I'm curious about your statement: "don't mash 'em down". I thought the point of ABS (which would be enabled if the car is still in DSC mode) is that the ABS system will allow you to stop as quickly as possible while keeping the wheels turning, not locked up. To enable ABS you do want to "mash 'em down" and let ABS take over. Since the wheels are still turning you should still have at least some directional control. Once the world starts turning round and round, well, you're screwed, ABS or no. :^)

https://www.freewayinsurance.com/kno...i-lock-brakes/

They like empty parking lots too! ;^)

Again, talking from theory, not experience.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
It isn't so much what you do driving in snow, it is what the out of control sliding SUV is going to do to you. When it snows here I have the luxury of mostly keeping my car in the garage. Last winter I was driving the Countryman All4 when the roads were starting to clear. Someone with zero winter driving experience slid into me, then backed up and slid back into me. I turned around and went home. Just wasn't worth the risk as people will tailgate even in snow and ice conditions.

Sport mode and snow not a great idea, mid or green probably ok. Traction control off if you are stuck in snow and need to spin the wheels, otherwise I'd leave it on.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Put it in DTC if that's an option. That will give you a little wheel spin in snow and help get you going. In DSC the car cuts power way too easily and it's hard to get moving.

Brake early, as lightly as you can. Don't lock up the wheels, or you'll just slide. Remember that braking will take much longer than you're used to if the roads are snowy.

When turning or changing lanes, make very gradual, controlled movements.

If you start to lose grip, make small adjustments to get yourself back on track. Don't cut the wheel dramatically or you'll lose control.

Driving in snowy conditions isn't generally too bad if you take it easy and don't get in a hurry. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:28 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by rsinsheimer
Fly'n Brick,I'm curious about your statement: "don't mash 'em down"..
Yea, you got me. I never think about that automatic nanny stuff. When things get exciting I go back to old ways of doing things. I still pump the breaks on ice and wonder what that funny feel on the pedal is.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Frosty_Ohio
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini snow

Originally Posted by nclorax
Southern driver getting ready to go drive in some snow. Manual, JCW with BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-60 RFT tires.
Which mode handles the snow the best. I was thinking the dreaded Green Mode as I wouldn't get wheel spin. Do the modes change the gear ratio and does that make a difference?

In addition DSC or DTC on or off?
I try to do green in snow/ice. Gives less response to the gas pedal, or slower. This lets you get rolling without slipping. I run the same tires as you have, manual, 2016 S. Get use to driving giving yourself plenty of room for turns and braking. It is a lot of fun when you can get in little traffic.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Sport all the way, just toggle the traction control to get through snow