JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

R53 JCW Custom Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:20 PM
JDM_
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R53 JCW Custom Tune Question

A year ago I purchased a 2003 R53 w/ JCW add-on package. I’ve made a few upgrades and about to put it back together... my question is wether or not the 2003 came with a JCW custom tune? And wether or not I should spend the money to get a custom tune or find someone that has a 2006 program I can flash to the ECU? I have access to a “My Genius Dimsport” This car is a fun daily driver...

I’ve added to the JCW package.
15% Pulley
CAI
WMW Mild Street Cam
Blue 380 injectors

Mine didn’t come with the JCW certificate but it had the JCW badging, JCW exhaust, JCW valve cover.. NO JCW airbox, fuel injectors, or brakes. I always question wether or not it’s a real JWC because it’s hard to know for sure without the certification.... I recently had the head off but didn’t know what to look for to know if it was legit.. so who knows if it came with a JCW tune even if it was suppose to...

Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
There were two JCW Tuning Kits and both had (different) ECU remaps.

The kit which included the larger (380cc) injectors and airbox wasn't available until October 2004.

The following users liked this post:
JDM_ (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I am thinking the airbox was an 05 thing.

I don't know the grind of the cam you have but I have RMW's Dominator Cam, 450 injectors and Jan's tune along with Way's 2% overdrive crank pulley. You put on a 421 header along with a Tune from RMW and your grin will be more than a little larger. The downside is that you will have more torque steer as you don't have the LSD.

JDM_ (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 04:50 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
It should have come with the 200hp JCW tune. If the dealer did things correctly, and it lasted all these years, there should be a sticker somewhere on the ECU by the airbox.

The hard part to verify on your car will be the JCW head. You'll need access to the exhaust ports to measure them. If you have some pics of the exhaust ports while the head was off you should be able to tell. For the super charger you could measure the pulley you removed to determine if you have a JCW teflon coated s/c.

The 210hp JCW package included the blue 380cc injectors, the JCW airbox, and updated tune for these extra items. JCW brakes were a separate package from the dealer add on kits.

With your Dimsport you should be able to get a canned tune or a remote custom tune while on the dyno. Just make sure the Dimsport isn't already locked to another car.

JDM_ (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 PM
JDM_
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
It should have come with the 200hp JCW tune. If the dealer did things correctly, and it lasted all these years, there should be a sticker somewhere on the ECU by the airbox.

The hard part to verify on your car will be the JCW head. You'll need access to the exhaust ports to measure them. If you have some pics of the exhaust ports while the head was off you should be able to tell. For the super charger you could measure the pulley you removed to determine if you have a JCW teflon coated s/c.

The 210hp JCW package included the blue 380cc injectors, the JCW airbox, and updated tune for these extra items. JCW brakes were a separate package from the dealer add on kits.

With your Dimsport you should be able to get a canned tune or a remote custom tune while on the dyno. Just make sure the Dimsport isn't already locked to another car.

just looked..and YES... my ECU has a JCW Tuning sticker on it.
I just put my head back on and all the pics I took were from the front. I remember the exhaust ports being smooth... the intake side still had rough cast marks... not sure if that is characteristic of the JCW head?

the dimsport was used to tune my brothers 2003 R53 Mini. He did similar stuff that I did but with a more aggressive cam and header... he no longer has the car but still has the tool.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:28 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
The JCW exhaust ports are noticeably taller from the regular head, but if the exhaust ports were smooth, it's probably the JCW head. Can you post a pic of the front of the head? There supposedly was a red or green dot painted on the head by the casting number when new. It would be interesting to see if your head has one of these.

I would check with Jan at RMW or Way at Way Motor Works, but the Dimsport is normally locked to one VIN and costs about $200-250 to reset them. Not bad for you since yours was probably free, but bad for the people who unknowingly buy used ones for a "deal", then end up paying more than new after the reset.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 PM
JDM_
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
The downside is that you will have more torque steer as you don't have the LSD.
LSD I’ll be installed when it needs a clutch... Unfotunatly is has a new clutch...

Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 PM
JDM_
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
The JCW exhaust ports are noticeably taller from the regular head, but if the exhaust ports were smooth, it's probably the JCW head. Can you post a pic of the front of the head? There supposedly was a red or green dot painted on the head by the casting number when new. It would be interesting to see if your head has one of these.
I had it cleaned up and a valve job done.. If there was a mark it may of gotten cleaned off.. My buddy took some pics too. I'll see if he got any pre-cleaning pics.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM
JDM_
2nd Gear
Before it went to machine shop. I don't see a dot..

Old 07-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
You might want to replace the o-rings on the water pump and between the flange and block while you're in there.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JDM_
Before it went to machine shop. I don't see a dot..

Probably got cleaned off after all those years, but I think the round casting mark is what was painted. You can barely see it below the last digits “AB” on the left side of the head. The short casting line at an angle is right in the middle of the dot.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM
JDM_
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Paul
You might want to replace the o-rings on the water pump and between the flange and block while you're in there.
I did..

Did SC maintenance while I was in there too.. Every gasket/seal that came off is being replaced including thermostat.