JCW Issue with JCW Pro Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi ranger052, I'm very sorry to see how much trouble you're going through. If you're ever up in the midwest area for any reason, stop by Baron MINI in Kansas City and we'll get your exhaust working like it's supposed to.

The following users liked this post:
Stu (06-26-2019)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:03 PM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Took mine into the dealer with the same issue. They claimed to never have heard of the valve closing problem before. The mechanic looked at it and said they will replace the module under warranty. I hope that solves the problem.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Matias Diaz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I´m new in this forum. I´ve been reading about the issue with the bluetooth remote control. I have a Mini JCW 06/2018 production. I think my car is not prepare to add a JCW exhaust pro, but I´ve bought the exhaust anyway and the mechanic had to be a little modification to install it. He has made the electric installation but there not space or free slot into the fuse box to connect the wires. Someone can help me pls?

The mechanic has tried to test the remote control connecting at 12V outside but he couldn´t. I´ve read a lot about the issues with the remote control (interferences, etc).

Someone knows where o how I must to update the firmware or software of the remote control?

Many thanks.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 PM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by FDR:
ECSTuning (03-25-2019), Matias Diaz (02-03-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM
SB Lee
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Side note..... im selling my JCW BT remote if anyone wants an extra.
do you have remote?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 AM
SB Lee
Neutral
Side note..... im selling my JCW BT remote if anyone wants an extra.
please contact me lpggas77@gmail.com

Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SB Lee

please contact me lpggas77@gmail.com
Sorry buddy, its sold

Old 03-25-2019, 07:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We have remotes here;

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/18302413298/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 PM
the901
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was the first to get it installed in my area. I've always had the issue but it's out of warranty now. Lots of people seen to have the issue. The dealership is aware of the issue but the only thing they could offer was replacing the control box. They mentioned that it's not a guaranteed fix for the problem. At this point, I think everyone should be reaching out to MINI corporate so they are aware of the issue.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I had mine in to the dealer in december (have brought the issue up with them several times before and its all on record). they took a look at it and simply said "technician cannot duplicate" on their drive around the block. they told me if it does it again to take a video. I intend on doing that once the car comes out of storage for the summer. Once I have the video I will post it here. maybe that will add some fuel to the corporate fire. I know the ///M side is having this issue as well so I'm a little surprised that BMW is not taking ownership of the issue.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:17 AM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I had that issue on my JCW and M2. I provided a video of flap closing. Dealer replaced module. Was all covered under warranty. The dealer I go to has great service department. My pro exhaust was installed at port. Not sure about the M2. That is hubs car and I do not pay much attention to the details on that car.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:19 PM
the901
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MomMini
I had that issue on my JCW and M2. I provided a video of flap closing. Dealer replaced module. Was all covered under warranty. The dealer I go to has great service department. My pro exhaust was installed at port. Not sure about the M2. That is hubs car and I do not pay much attention to the details on that car.
Did the replacement resolve the issue?

Old 04-03-2019, 02:25 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by the901
Did the replacement resolve the issue?
Yes. Have not had a problem with it since it was fixed.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:12 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I had mine into the dealer 4 or 5 times because I would get lots of drops around my home in downtown Dallas, but they couldn't replicate the problem at the dealer. We figured I was getting a lot of Bluetooth interference in the downtown area. They opened a PuMA case with MINI USA, and were given the green light to change the Tailgate silencer receiver unit. Since then, I've had zero drops. It's been over a year, and this swap fixed it for good. If you have the issue, tell them to open a PuMA case to get it resolved. As a side note, they did the same thing with the front control arms because I heard a pop, and the car wasn't handling the way I remembered. They swapped those out, and aligned it, and I'm back loving the car. It's little annoying things like this that once corrected really make a world of difference in your perception of the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
the901 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Mine has worked fine since I stopped wearing my Apple Watch.

Looking in the boot area you will notice an access panel on your right (passenger side). Pop that off and the module is mounted right inside. There is one large plug that you need to pull if you want the flap open all the time. Just remember, you have to start the car and open the flap before pulling the plug. The position that the flap is in when you pull the plug is the one it will stay in.
I had mine open all the time until I installed my cat less DP. Need to be able to tone it down at times now.
Thanks buddy!!

Its been an issue for many of us. Ive heard things like the Apple Watch's blue tooth closing it, other cars BT etc...

Just do this and never have to worry about it again. It takes about a minute to do - https://myredmini.com/how-to-keep-yo...kit-always-on/
That is so simple... even for a non-mechanical mind like me!!! Just had mine installed last week, still breaking in and being a JCW obviously it did not need any re-coding.

Thanks for the share and you have an incredible website!!! [which I will dig in soon...]

This might be a stupid question but what would be the process in reverse? [told you about the mechanical mind!!! Was a Chef all my Life... Too long!]. Let the car run, plug it back and that is it?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Sorry buddy, its sold
Question... before I would mess something up!

I don't see a "beige" plug in mine, just this plug in my photo which I see being there in the background in your photo from your website.

Odd? Maybe was hooked up directly without a plug? I looked with a flashlight and not seeing anything else. Was installed about 10 days ago by a great MINI mechanic at the Dealership. It is actually working fine [so far]. And no, I don't wear an Apple watch but have my phone on Bluetooth as to listen to Spotify through the Media H/K sound system.

Thanks...

From my 2017 JCW

From your website

Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
It's that big grey plug that you se there.. It does not have to be running when you decide to plug it back in. Matter of fact I would recommend it not be running or switched on when plugging it back in.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:56 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
My button is starting to stick now.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:13 PM
the901
2nd Gear
Word is that there's a recent technical service bulletin published about the issue. No resolution listed, as of yet, but it's finally on their radar.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
It's that big grey plug that you se there.. It does not have to be running when you decide to plug it back in. Matter of fact I would recommend it not be running or switched on when plugging it back in.
Thank You Vetsvette. The one pointing with the arrow. Correct? Due to my mechanical inabilities I like to be 100% sure... I appreciate.

Of course wondering why it is so different and has another little space for a smaller plug? Maybe just because!!!

My plug...

Old 04-13-2019, 01:53 PM
vetsvette
That would be the one. Just make sure the car is running and the flap is open before you unplug it. It will stay open until you plug the harness back in. I ran mine open all the time until I installed my catless DP. After that, I needed to be able to quiet it on occasion so mine is plugged in now. I'm going to talk to the dealer about the intermittent problem after the Dragon.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
That would be the one. Just make sure the car is running and the flap is open before you unplug it. It will stay open until you plug the harness back in. I ran mine open all the time until I installed my catless DP. After that, I needed to be able to quiet it on occasion so mine is plugged in now. I'm going to talk to the dealer about the intermittent problem after the Dragon.
A thousand Thanks! Ah! "The Dragon"... That was my backyard [motorcycling] many Moons ago... I can see from the photos that it has really grown. Hopefully the "Tree of Shame" is still there and no, I don't have any of my parts on there!!!

The Cherohallah Skyway from Robinsville to Telico Plains was actually always my favorite with swiping curves and on South to Suches on #60 camping, what was at the time "Two Wheels Only" [has changed name and ownership now] which was my second home!!!

Good times... Enjoy.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Pete L
Neutral
Are you still at Baron?

Im having the same problem on my 16 Carbon, it came on my car, and sometimes stays open for a bit but 90% of the time it closes in a few secs.

Originally Posted by CarFreak427
Hi ranger052, I'm very sorry to see how much trouble you're going through. If you're ever up in the midwest area for any reason, stop by Baron MINI in Kansas City and we'll get your exhaust working like it's supposed to.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM
vetsvette
If mine gets within sniffing distance of an Apple Watch, that's all she wrote. Will not stay open while in range. Particularly bad when I pick up my Grandson at Middle School or when I'm at the VA which is in close proximity to Duke University. Darn kids! finally get them off the lawn, and now they find a new way to annoy me!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:40 AM
Chedder2017
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI USA identified a number of early production modules that had intermittent issues. There is a bulletin on it to identify the modules needing replaced. Take your mINI to your dealer and ask them to inspect the module to see if it qualifies for replacement. I had all kinds of trouble and it's gone now!

Quick Reply: JCW Issue with JCW Pro Exhaust