JCW Coilover Options

Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 AM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coilover Options

Hello everyone. So I've been enjoying my JCW Mini cooper with the non-DDC suspension (which means it's not adjustable, and it's the stiffest option possible). Honestly, I don't feel this car has stiff enough spring rates. Are there any options for stiffer coilovers? I've only seen H&R and FORGE Coilovers for this car. Also, is the JCW Pro suspension the exact stock suspension for this car or is it actually different?

EDIT: Upon doing research, I found a website that literally had all of some of my favorite manufacturer options in stock. Sachs, Bilstein, AST, KW, etc. Guess there's tons of them out there.

Last edited by RyanGreener; 12-13-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've installed several sets of coilovers on the 3rd gen MINIs and I can say we like the KWs the best. They still ride well, but really bring the sporty feel back. They are a step up from the JCW suspension which is made by KW, but not adjustable and better spring rates.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/kw-var...overs-f56.html

Also when doing them it's a good idea to do the rear sway bar since the labor overlaps.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW coilovers

I have the JCW coilovers. The ride and handling is much improved over the standard sport suspension. IMO, all JCWs should come with these coilovers. I got the JCW coilovers because I didn't want to fiddle with damper adjustments, and I don't track or auto x. I wanted a lower ride height and firmer damping, and that's what I got.

At first I installed NM lower springs but eventually got noises up front as others experienced. Once I installed the JCW coilovers, the noise was gone! The ride and handling is so much better with the coilovers.

If you can afford coilovers, go with that option. You don't know how bad lowering springs are until you have experience both.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:40 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I've had NM springs on my Sport Suspension for a year and a half now with no complaints. The only noise I've had up front "as others have experienced" was corrected by a Mini TSB and had nothing to do with the springs. I may eventually go with coil overs just because my build is always changing, but it won't be because of complaints about my NM springs.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Bilstein B14s

/thread

Honestly, Ive had several cars on other coilover systems and these B14s are probably the best system Ive ever ridden on.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:47 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyopet
I have the JCW coilovers. The ride and handling is much improved over the standard sport suspension. IMO, all JCWs should come with these coilovers.
I agree with Toyopet. Going from the "sport" suspension to the JCW Pro suspension is like night and day; the car is now terrific!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:17 PM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
I have the JCW coilovers. The ride and handling is much improved over the standard sport suspension. IMO, all JCWs should come with these coilovers. I got the JCW coilovers because I didn't want to fiddle with damper adjustments, and I don't track or auto x. I wanted a lower ride height and firmer damping, and that's what I got.

At first I installed NM lower springs but eventually got noises up front as others experienced. Once I installed the JCW coilovers, the noise was gone! The ride and handling is so much better with the coilovers.

If you can afford coilovers, go with that option. You don't know how bad lowering springs are until you have experience both.
Originally Posted by MoBoost
I agree with Toyopet. Going from the "sport" suspension to the JCW Pro suspension is like night and day; the car is now terrific!
Wait, so what you're saying is that the stock JCW Non DDC suspension is considered a "sport suspension" and is therefore different than the JCW Pro Suspension? I was looking at the AST/Sachs/Bilstein Club sport options but maybe I'll see if I like those. Does anyone here have an actual spring rate sheet on the various coilovers?

Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 PM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I've had NM springs on my Sport Suspension for a year and a half now with no complaints. The only noise I've had up front "as others have experienced" was corrected by a Mini TSB and had nothing to do with the springs. I may eventually go with coil overs just because my build is always changing, but it won't be because of complaints about my NM springs.
Could you tell me which TSB this is?

Also, I'm mostly interested in coilovers. Lowering springs have never done anything for any car I've had. I'm more into the performance aspect of coilovers.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:43 PM
vetsvette
There are several threads on front end noises and what was done to correct them.

I wasn't trying to tell you that springs were better than coil overs, just responding to a blanket statement about how bad they are. I didn't have the extra cash for KW's when I redid my suspension and brakes, wheels and Tires. I did some research before buying the NM springs as an interim step and combined with the sport shocks and NM rear sway bar, etc. it has improved the handling over the stock JCW suspension considerably. I almost went with KW's on Black Friday, but went for the Dinan Elite instead to replace my NM module. If I still worked for a living I would have had coil overs a long time ago, but now I have to be a little more patient with my modifications.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
I wasn't trying to tell you that springs were better than coil overs, just responding to a blanket statement about how bad they are.
Vetsvette, if you ever get coilovers, you will experience how superior the handling and ride is compared to lowering springs. You have decrease your total stroke by the amount you're lower and are most likely riding on your bump stops. That is "bad" when it comes to performance.

I was in the same boat as you - very content with the NM springs. I'm actually glad my lowering springs started making noises otherwise I would have never purchased the JCW coilovers.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you plan to adjust the dampening settings often, go with a set with bottom adjusters. The rear shocks cannot be adjusted from the top because there’s no access to the strut from the trunk. With my KW V2 it was time consuming to do suspension setting and corner balancing.

Also if you’re looking to have more negative camber up front by going with a set of camber plates, it might make sense to get more a expensive set that comes with them. For example the Nitron set, more expensive sure, but camber plates are included and you’d be getting better performing shocks and springs compared to typical “street” coilovers.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:40 AM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
There are several threads on front end noises and what was done to correct them.

I wasn't trying to tell you that springs were better than coil overs, just responding to a blanket statement about how bad they are. I didn't have the extra cash for KW's when I redid my suspension and brakes, wheels and Tires. I did some research before buying the NM springs as an interim step and combined with the sport shocks and NM rear sway bar, etc. it has improved the handling over the stock JCW suspension considerably. I almost went with KW's on Black Friday, but went for the Dinan Elite instead to replace my NM module. If I still worked for a living I would have had coil overs a long time ago, but now I have to be a little more patient with my modifications.
1) Thank you. I'll check those out.

2) Understood. My budget is 3k so I'm looking at the higher end coilovers. Judging by the responses here, I think I'm getting an idea of what I should be looking at. Thank you for responding.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:41 AM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BadakVT
If you plan to adjust the dampening settings often, go with a set with bottom adjusters. The rear shocks cannot be adjusted from the top because there’s no access to the strut from the trunk. With my KW V2 it was time consuming to do suspension setting and corner balancing.

Also if you’re looking to have more negative camber up front by going with a set of camber plates, it might make sense to get more a expensive set that comes with them. For example the Nitron set, more expensive sure, but camber plates are included and you’d be getting better performing shocks and springs compared to typical “street” coilovers.
I was looking at Nitron/AST/Bilstein actually, and they're all similar price (2400-4000). Good info.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScionToMini
I was looking at Nitron/AST/Bilstein actually, and they're all similar price (2400-4000). Good info.
Are you planning to track or autox your mini?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Out of those I would go with the Bilstein. I ran them for years on my race car and they were great. This will also leave you room in the budget for sway bar, and control arms.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/bilste...overs-f56.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
Are you planning to track or autox your mini?
Yes. Backup track car/maybe some fun with time trials when I don't feel like doing Wheel to Wheel.

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Out of those I would go with the Bilstein. I ran them for years on my race car and they were great. This will also leave you room in the budget for sway bar, and control arms.
Thanks for the suggestion, although the rates seem awfully soft. I'm hoping for ones that are stiffer than that. I'm thinking maybe 800-900 lbs/in front, 500 lbs/in rear.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes. Backup track car/maybe some fun with time trials when I don't feel like doing Wheel to Wheel.

Thanks for the suggestion, although the rates seem awfully soft. I'm hoping for ones that are stiffer than that. I'm thinking maybe 800-900 lbs/in front, 500 lbs/in rear.
Those rates are crazy. You don't want anything like that. Hell my race car isn't even close to that. Since it's FWD you want a softer rate in the front and stiffer in the rear to make it rotate.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 PM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
Those rates are crazy. You don't want anything like that. Hell my race car isn't even close to that. Since it's FWD you want a softer rate in the front and stiffer in the rear to make it rotate.
I've seen some rear sway bar options for this car. I was probably going to go with that for rotation. (run no front bar + rear bar only)

What kind of rates do you run on your race car, or is that off limits to the public?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM
vetsvette
You already have a front bar on your JCW.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:59 PM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
You already have a front bar on your JCW.
I was implying that I was going to remove it after changing to a stiffer spring rate in the front.

EDIT: Anyways, thanks for all the feedback. I'll take the rest of the discussion to PMs. I had just opened this thread to see my options since I'm new to the Mini world/forum and I don't know who the vendors are. (since many F56 standard parts seem to be mixed with the JCW, or F56/R56 seem to be mixed in the same threads). I appreciate all of the information.

Last edited by RyanGreener; 12-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Chilisauce
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
coilovers

Check out bc racing, have them on my f56 and so far so good. Cant be the price for what you get.

https://bcracingcoilovers.com/collec...lovers-br-type

Old 12-18-2017, 03:55 AM
vetsvette
On a quick look they don't look bad. I like the option of Swift Springs too. Bookmarked for later. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:26 AM
rnp614
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I wanted a rear coil that was adjustable without removing it what are my options?