JCW 2018 JCW transmission thoughts and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 JCW transmission thoughts and opinions

Hi there,

Looking to order a 2018 JCW and we’re torn on the new auto trans versus the manual, and was looking for opinions on them. I realize it is personal preference to some measure.

We’ve always had manual trans minis, but 80% of the driving we do in the minis lends itself to an auto trans (stop go traffic & run around trips). We do also like to push it a bit at Mini on the dragon which is more manual territory. Other thoughts are that we’ll likely keep this jcw indefinitely and thinking in 5-6 years from now, we might not be able to buy another manual trans mini if we did decide to trade, that plus I feel like the manual trans is likely to be more reliable long term. But test driving the 2018 jcw auto trans was really nice and responsive, especially in manual mode.

A confusing post, but would love to hear people’s thoughts on the new auto trans versus the tried and trusted manual on the 2018 JCW.

My heart says manual, my head says auto. I also read that jcw’s are about 75% manual trans.

Cheers
Mom Mini

Old 10-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I love manual transmissions, my back no longer likes them so much. The newer auto trannies are so good compared to the old days. If I had a second car for myself then manual otherwise I'm now auto trans.

However if I was buying a JCW, probably go manual and suffer the back issues.lol

Clear as mud!

Old 10-22-2017, 12:24 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I’m just moved into JCW from a135 1M we had for eight years. Bought it new and allowed my wife to talk me into getting an auto. Now, the Auto on that was actually really nice but...when we started looking I insisted on a manual. As good as it was, the Auto took the fun level down a notch or two which became really noticeable after the first flush of ownership ended.

We have had the JCW for 3 weeks and we both stepped back into a manual really quickly - and even my wife giggles and is having fun. Gas mileage is down because we both enjoy keeping it higher in power band, and traffic is a non issue - light clutch and auto rev match means we just don’t think about it in traffic. I did want it more comfortable for both of us so put in a short shift and custom shift **** - and added even more fun.

Auto trans works great on my Honda Ridgeline truck, but not for me on Mini. I’ll also add that for AutoX, track, drag race have no doubt the Auto is quicker - but I decided on the fun, as well as durability. Sealed Auto trans makes me nervous for a car that plan to keep 7+ years.

The following users liked this post:
MomMini (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 12:40 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Thanks FLyingScot57, some great points, especially the rev matching and sealed nature of the auto trans.

Originally Posted by FlyingScot57
I’m just moved into JCW from a135 1M we had for eight years. Bought it new and allowed my wife to talk me into getting an auto. Now, the Auto on that was actually really nice but...when we started looking I insisted on a manual. As good as it was, the Auto took the fun level down a notch or two which became really noticeable after the first flush of ownership ended.

We have had the JCW for 3 weeks and we both stepped back into a manual really quickly - and even my wife giggles and is having fun. Gas mileage is down because we both enjoy keeping it higher in power band, and traffic is a non issue - light clutch and auto rev match means we just don’t think about it in traffic. I did want it more comfortable for both of us so put in a short shift and custom shift **** - and added even more fun.

Auto trans works great on my Honda Ridgeline truck, but not for me on Mini. I’ll also add that for AutoX, track, drag race have no doubt the Auto is quicker - but I decided on the fun, as well as durability. Sealed Auto trans makes me nervous for a car that plan to keep 7+ years.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:12 PM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had a Manual in everything from a Lotus Elise, to a 'souped up'
current generation VW Beetle, as well as many others. All in all, the
best one I ever drove was a Honda S2000 which had super-short but
precise, fast shifting. Now, after having drove a JCW with a Getrag
Trany, all I can say is that it doesn't get better than this one.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:31 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ridgemanron
best one I ever drove was a Honda S2000
I have a 2005 that I used to track with a Comptech Supercharger and KWV3 - currently refreshing it. You are right it reminds me of that one, very similar

Old 10-22-2017, 03:41 PM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
When Lotus began planning the Elise for a 2005 model release, they
being such a small company, needed to find an existing motor and
trany and were hoping to get Honda to give them access to their 2.0
engine and trany. Unable to do this, they had to settle on a 1.8 engine
and trany from Toyota. I guess beggars can't be chooser's but I knew
why they wanted the Honda set-up after buying an Elise. The Honda
2.0 engine was superior but more important was that Toyota's six-speed
trany was nowhere near the quality of Honda's.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:47 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I was dead set on the manual, but my wife asked me to consider the auto since she has some significant health issues. I was a little reluctant, but gave in an went the auto route. So far, I am not disappointed at all and find it still a lot of fun to drive. Of course, I always drive in sport mode and find the paddles a real blast. It wasn't my first choice, but I have not regrets ... it's a great package.

I still have my E39 M5 when I need to drive a manual, so I haven't totally gone auto.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:22 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
This is a personal choice, I’ve been in two F56 JCWs one with auto & my manual as in 2015 you couldn’t even find a manual trans JCW....mine was one of the first made! My MA took the wheel of an auto JCW the dealer recd while I was waiting for my JCW 6MT and I must say he really made that car scream! It was amazing! But for just typical scooting around I love the interaction of the manual. I believe the driver is more involved in driving for sure. The auto is easier in traffic but really boring! So, I can see both sides.

My only gripe is, being a vintage BMW owner, the MINI manual is a bit too loose shifting for me & the clutch is not as heavy, but I’m getting used to the MINI. Similar to rtowell, I have a 1988 M5 and of course that car only came with a 5 speed Getrag and it is like driving a race car....clutch is perfect and with my UUC short shifter the throw is tight and notchy the way I prefer it....it’s amazing. My MINI is different but I still prefer the manual as long as I can still shift! ;-)

Old 10-22-2017, 06:41 PM
ridgemanron
2nd Gear
Based on the adage, 'if you don't use it......you will lose it', I must
stress the importance of continuing to use both legs and feet when
driving a motor vehicle. Before you discount this, keep in mind that
we humans have the remnants of a gland in the back of our head
that allowed prehistoric man to be warned of danger approaching from
behind. As humans progressed in time, the need for such a pre-warning
ability became of less and less vital importance. Hence, we lost the use
of this 'third eye's' ability for additional sight and the same will be said
if our driving requires no need for both legs and feet to transport us via
the automobile. When future human beings are running around on one
leg, they too will come to realize that the body was originally fitted with
two legs and realize that the seeds which spawned the disappearance of
one of our limbs were sown when manual shift automobiles were no longer
an integral part of our daily lives.

The following 2 users liked this post by ridgemanron:
MomMini (10-22-2017), vetsvette (10-22-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will keep buying manual cars as long as they’re offered. I find the one in my JCW to be very good and I’ve had a bunch.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I will keep buying manual cars as long as they’re offered. I find the one in my JCW to be very good and I’ve had a bunch.
I'm with you. I think the gates could be a bit tighter but the shifter is fine.

I've only ever bought one automatic car and it was for my girlfriend and I got an amazing deal from a friend. Will continue to buy manuals for as long as possible.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:50 AM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Short Shift

I did not like the original JCW shifter, a bit too tall for my tastes. When you add in the short shifter with weighted Shift kn*b, it feels more mechanical and tighter. I do not think it is as slick as my S2000 wth short shifter, but fairly close. I am still getting used to the light clutch, but that is about me not the clutch. I'd rather not have to have giant thighs to work this You can see below how much shorter this is - and with the adjustable armrest and seat adjusted I just move my wrist.

CravenSpeed Short Shift Whalen ****

Old 10-23-2017, 03:06 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
When future human beings are running around on one
leg, they too will come to realize that the body was originally fitted with
two legs and realize that the seeds which spawned the disappearance of
one of our limbs were sown when manual shift automobiles were no longer
an integral part of our daily lives.
Of course you can always use the left foot for braking ... makes transitions much quicker ... and a lot more fun.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:36 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
I think we are decided on getting a manual drive. Now trying to decide when to order. Was reading on motoringfile.com that there are some changes coming in March 2018. I am in no hurry. I plan to trade my 2015 4 Door Hardtop S. If I order in March, I might get delivery in time for the MOTD.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by MomMini
I think we are decided on getting a manual drive. Now trying to decide when to order. Was reading on motoringfile.com that there are some changes coming in March 2018. I am in no hurry. I plan to trade my 2015 4 Door Hardtop S. If I order in March, I might get delivery in time for the MOTD.
You won’t be sorry! The only thing I remember seeing regarding the JCW hatch may be more wheel options...and that would be great if true. But waiting might be a tad difficult if it were me! Ha! Good luck & post up what you spec if you remember.

Cheers!

Old 10-24-2017, 01:59 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
You won’t be sorry! The only thing I remember seeing regarding the JCW hatch may be more wheel options...and that would be great if true. But waiting might be a tad difficult if it were me! Ha! Good luck & post up what you spec if you remember.

Cheers!
My husband and I have finally agreed on a build. This is the first time I will actually order my mini. Last three mini's where chosen from the dealer lot. Basic options listed below. Would like to change the seats but want to keep my build price down. Need to possibly keep that price down too if I want to get a set of summer and winter tires. Live in Chicago and have run all seasons in the past. Might want to do something different for this car. That is a discussion for another time :-)

Moonwalk Grey
Chili red roof and mirror
cold weather package
tech package
Premium package
JCW mirror caps
JCW bonnet stipes
17" track spoke
manual drive

Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 PM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Drove stick shift cars for 30 some years and loved them all. Now, at ages 74 and 64 with fairly severe arthritic knees, my wife and I settled for an automatic Mini with paddle shifters. Zero regrets. As for "one leg" we make up for that by 30 minute walks daily.