JCW Gen3 JCW compared to a Modded Gen1 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:54 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Gen3 JCW compared to a Modded Gen1 JCW

I recently did some engine work to my Gen1 JCW that added another 35 HP. Anybody gone from Gen1 with this type of power to a Gen3? I have had several people that have Gen1 cars that are thinking about either modding their current JCW or trading for a new one asking me about my mods.

I did some thread reviews here but did not find a similar type question.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:30 AM
AliH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had 3 Coopers. 2005 Gen 1 JCW (modded), 2010 R56 Copper S (modded) and now a 2017 JCW. All I can tell you from Gen to now...World apart. If you only focus on power alone, you are missing the whole picture.

New JCW is a whole new animal...I would say controlled aggression. Fast, torquey, comfortable, and modern. My Gen 1 JCW seems spartan at best compared to new one. In my old one, on the road or the track at speeds of 75+ mph you knew it....New JCW you will hit 90+ mph and feels like 50 mph. I am not going to go into details of the seats and amenities etc...10+ years of development does show. Most drivers are HP driven...Reality is that we all drive torque. New gen JCW has plenty of it. Minis are not built for speed of 150+ MPH...More of the experience of the handling. The R56 and turboed engine to me fixed the lack of torque from previous gen. Of all 3...I prefer my modded R56 Cooper S. Love my current JCW but I think Mini's goal was to blend comfort, and performance with more of the focus being on the comfort side. My wife puts well (She drives a 2017 Cooper S)...My JCW feels like a BMW 3 series. Fast comfortable and excellent performance/handling.

Feel free to ask me questions if that did not help.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
All great info.

Most of those with Gen1 recognize that the SC engine does not have the torque that the TC does as well as technology changes to the platform and suspension. Some want the light weight go-kart type feel that the Gen1 has and it is apparent from your comparison to a 3 series BMW that the Gen3 is miles away from that. I had a 135i and weight is something you cannot hide regardless of the hp or torque. There is also the matter of cost compared to modding a Gen1 or putting the money into a Gen3

It comes down to suum cuique and the comments from someone as you are very valuable. I will pass this thread onto the others that have been asking me.

Thanks!!

Old 04-30-2017, 02:56 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A quick glance at spec sheets will tell you that the current MINI generation is essentially the same weight as the first, the R56's were actually slightly lighter.
I'm another who has owned all three generations and there's no way I'd give up 10+ years of technological advance, not to mention the lights years better build quality and materials. I support any MINI owner who loves what they love, but my JCW is a daily driver and I can't imagine that in a decade year old car with greater maintenance needs.
I find its "MINIness" fully intact, the only minor complaint at all is its tiny gas tank.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:41 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Yep, hate that darn small gas tank!

Old 05-01-2017, 04:55 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Was told is was to make room for hybrid batteries and moved gas filler to other side as well. Everyone suffers for possible design modification. Stupid engineering.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by AliH
I have had 3 Coopers. 2005 Gen 1 JCW (modded), 2010 R56 Copper S (modded) and now a 2017 JCW.
Feel free to ask me questions if that did not help.
how many trackdays in the gen 3 jcw have you had, and how big a problem is the lack of mechanical LSD?

On bmw's I've driven with the same e-diff electronic LSD it was total crap, bmw is not there yet they need to run a rally program the subaru's is much much better

Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM
AliH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have yet to track my new JCW...So I cannot comment. My Gen 1 JCW had it and performed really well on the track. In general I prefer mechanical LSD to the electronic versions fitted/installed now. If I would track it a lot...I would probably look into possible options, if any for a mechanical LSD. But I am not going to track it much...have another car for that. One thing I would definitely swap are the tires and wheels. That alone will make a big difference.

Interestingly though...I find the new JCW more prone to oversteer rather than the expected understeer. If pushed hard in corners, it does have a tendency to almost snap oversteer. I am luckily used to this because of my Lotus Elise and its setup. Maybe time to look for different sway bars!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
my jcw is my "have another car for that" trackday/autocross car. I daily drive an X5 so I dont care about any of the new tech, in fact that stuff is more of a problem getting rid of it is getting harder.

my r53 used to snap oversteer, I changed out the bumpstops and it seems to have cured it. Now it's more progressive when it oversteers

Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Driving my friend's F56 (not JCW) reminds me more of a small BMW, which is actually what it is more or less. My car corners tighter and rides a little harsher. I never drove a Gen 1 Mini though.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:13 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
gen1 feels more raw I prefer them for fun factor and I think I'm faster autocrossing the r53. Never got to do a back to back to really know for sure, and I was not doing trackdays at the time.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by AliH
In my old one, on the road or the track at speeds of 75+ mph you knew it....New JCW you will hit 90+ mph and feels like 50 mph.
Off topic, I know, but this is probably one of the reasons I went back to an R53 and sold my 370bhp 335xi . . I don't want to have to go 90mph to feel like I'm doing 50mph . . I'd much rather do 70mph and feel like I'm driving really fast!!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Off topic, I know, but this is probably one of the reasons I went back to an R53 and sold my 370bhp 335xi . . I don't want to have to go 90mph to feel like I'm doing 50mph . . I'd much rather do 70mph and feel like I'm driving really fast!!
I sold my 440 HP LS3 Corvette and kept the Mini. The old saying, more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, is appropriate. Its that feel of the car. My buddy talks allot about the BMW 2002 tii he had, he has a Gen1 now that he is modding. He is an ex SCCA racer.

If I was still in the rat race and driving everyday, the newer model would be best. An issue, take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it.

The one thing we all have in common regardless of the Gen of our car, is that we are some of the few that know what its like to drive a lightweight well handling car. I go to a cars and coffee and the normal guy on the street is amazed when I tell him the HP/Liter output and weight of the car. "Gee I didn't know these things were like that." Well they are, and, I like driving the thing allot.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
I sold my 135i for the same reason, I might pick up another e46 m3 for the track though