JCW OEM Factory Oil Analysis 2016 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:18 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OEM Factory Oil Analysis 2016 JCW

This is the oil that leaves the factory from MINI in England. JCW Mini 2.0L I-4 Turbo, Oil Grade 0W/20 @ 807miles.

I am sure others, not just myself are curious to know what is going on with the factory oil on a factory engine.

I wanted to know what kind of impurities etc were in the factory oil. I will call Blackstone at my convenience, to discuss in more details the results listed below. I do plan on keeping a record online through blackstone as well sending in follow up testing samples after each oil change.

I am only wondering if I did myself a disservice by changing the oil so soon (I put in 0w20 Royal Purple full synthetic) based on the initial comments by Blackstone technicians.

Last edited by LormaD; 09-28-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:45 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Is this the same as US/Canada, et. al. minis? Does mini ship them from Great Britain with this oil? And, when did they change to this formulation?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of Moly!

I wonder if this is typical to the new BMW/Mini 0W-20 that is replacing the previous 5W-30 oil. The 5W-30 which is based on Shell/Penzoil Platinum GTL definitely does not have that much moly. ZDDP is inline with API SN requirements.

This is the second UOA I've seen for break-in oil change on the F56. Both yours and Ryphille shows a very clean UOA and very little wear during break in. If this is the trend for the F56 engine, one could argue that break-in oil change is not really needed.

I'm currently running RP HPS 5W-30, will send for UOA on my next oil change and we shall compare the results.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:47 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah my understanding is that the original oil can be used for at least a year, or 7,000 miles. Sounds like the analysis company agrees. I remember someone doing an analysis on their original oil at about 7,000 miles and it was felt to be still OK. That was on the R56 cars.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
that is pretty light for a 0w20 oil, wow. obviously within spec per blackstone but I just did a UOA with redline 0w20 in a different car, and the cst viscosity at 100c was 8.87. 450ppm of moly too. my theory is that these mini engines just like a lot of moly.

my uoa on 5w30 red line had 585ppm of moly:

https://r56hs.com/2016/08/23/mini-uoa-6/

Old 10-02-2016, 07:16 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
This is the oil that leaves the factory from MINI in England. JCW Mini 2.0L I-4 Turbo, Oil Grade 0W/20 @ 807miles.

I am sure others, not just myself are curious to know what is going on with the factory oil on a factory engine.

I wanted to know what kind of impurities etc were in the factory oil. I will call Blackstone at my convenience, to discuss in more details the results listed below. I do plan on keeping a record online through blackstone as well sending in follow up testing samples after each oil change.

I am only wondering if I did myself a disservice by changing the oil so soon (I put in 0w20 Royal Purple full synthetic) based on the initial comments by Blackstone technicians.

Why did you made the decision to change the oil so early at less than 1K at break in?

I don't catch the reason you seem so concerned.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Why did you made the decision to change the oil so early at less than 1K at break in?

I think at one time people thought the "break in oil" that came with the car would rapidly accumulate metal particles from the brand new engine and that changing that oil soon after delivery would result is less engine wear, etc. I don't think that's been true in any car for a really long time, and this sort of proves it (again).

Old 10-03-2016, 01:50 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Thanks for posting this with the new 0-20w break in oil.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 10-04-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:36 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Smile :d

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Thanks for posting this wit the new 0-20w break in oil.
Your very welcome.

Cheers

Old 10-03-2016, 04:42 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Curiosity and tradition

I have always changed my oil on the factory engines within a 1000 miles or so. However good or not the factory oil is, the way you drive the initial 5000 miles goes a longer way into breaking in the engine than the factory "break in" oil.

More so on this engine; The Dipstickless engine. It's a real pet peeve a mine.

I have had a factory engine with a broken oil ring before. True the engine is under warranty, but at the end of the day do you really want to go through the hassles of having a vehicle with a pulled engine, and reinstalled by a dealer?

If I had to do it over again, I would. I have the Royal Purple 0W20 in there now, and will probably run it into next year (car goes into storage in a month or so).

Once it get hot next early summer I will switch over to the Royal Purple 0W40 blend.

Cheers

Old 10-03-2016, 04:43 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Proves nothing...

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I think at one time people thought the "break in oil" that came with the car would rapidly accumulate metal particles from the brand new engine and that changing that oil soon after delivery would result is less engine wear, etc. I don't think that's been true in any car for a really long time, and this sort of proves it (again).
I disagree with your analogy, but thanks for you opinion.

Cheers

Old 10-03-2016, 06:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
I have always changed my oil on the factory engines within a 1000 miles or so. However good or not the factory oil is, the way you drive the initial 5000 miles goes a longer way into breaking in the engine than the factory "break in" oil.

More so on this engine; The Dipstickless engine. It's a real pet peeve a mine.

I have had a factory engine with a broken oil ring before. True the engine is under warranty, but at the end of the day do you really want to go through the hassles of having a vehicle with a pulled engine, and reinstalled by a dealer?

If I had to do it over again, I would. I have the Royal Purple 0W20 in there now, and will probably run it into next year (car goes into storage in a month or so).

Once it get hot next early summer I will switch over to the Royal Purple 0W40 blend.

Cheers
It is your privilege to change your engine oil every 1K but I believe its a waste of money and not the best environmental practice to reduce waste.

II go with the OEM specs and I cannot be wrong.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:12 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Attaching Ryphile's Break-In Oil Change for comparison.

Ryphile's Break In Oil Change @ 2700 miles

Old 10-04-2016, 05:40 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Thumbs down where did i say...

It is your privilege to change your engine oil every 1K but I believe its a waste of money and not the best environmental practice to reduce waste.

II go with the OEM specs and I cannot be wrong.
I did not state that I change my oil every 1000, or that I change my oil always after a 1000 miles

I said I typically change a factory new vehicle oil after a 1000 miles or so. Not for the life of the vehicle.

sheesh...

Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 PM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Since most of you are recommending a 7k mi. oil change, what do you do when the computer states to perform it at 9k? Will the dealer do it early? Or are you guys changing it yourselves at 5k and then bringing it to the dealer for your free change at 9-10k?

Old 10-04-2016, 01:22 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
I will use exclusively Royal Purple... so...

Originally Posted by FDR
Since most of you are recommending a 7k mi. oil change, what do you do when the computer states to perform it at 9k? Will the dealer do it early? Or are you guys changing it yourselves at 5k and then bringing it to the dealer for your free change at 9-10k?
I will keep a record for myself, and change it myself. I want to use Royal Purple 0W40, for my intended use.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FDR
Call your dealer and schedule an oil change at 9K and full service. This is not a problem.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:00 PM
dube53
6th Gear
I did not state that I change my oil every 1000, or that I change my oil always after a 1000 miles

I said I typically change a factory new vehicle oil after a 1000 miles or so. Not for the life of the vehicle.

sheesh...
Either way, you don't seem very environmental friendly.

No more comments.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Wcalderw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car in at 6k miles and had the oil changed on my dime. The service rep. Understood and didn't reset the counter so I'll be back at about 10k for my first service warrantee oil change.

The rep did insist that the new synthetics are good for 10+k miles. I think watching this thread will prove that out with the analysis you all are doing.

I told the rep it's my piece of mind and I'm an old car guy.... Sooo

As.far as environmental impact. Isn't this stuff sanitized and recycled?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:03 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Either way, you don't seem very environmental friendly.

No more comments.
Unlike you, who dumps his oil down the drain, I take the time and courtesy to bring my oil to a recycling plant. I change it myself because unlike yourself, I know how to modify and take care of my car.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Wcalderw
As.far as environmental impact. Isn't this stuff sanitized and recycled?
Depends a lot on how your municipality handles it. It's not uncommon for town departments of public works to just use it to fire their boiler and heat the building in the winter. You can imagine the quality of exhaust gasses from those buildings...

However this information is old, maybe the EPA has finally cracked down.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Rebound
3rd Gear
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
A lot of people make a big fuss about "break-in oil." I assume that a new engine is the same as a rebuilt engine, in the sense that special lubricants are applied to all bearing surfaces during assembly, and then ordinary motor oil is added to the assembled crankcase.

As the new engine breaks in, the thick bearing lubricant (I think it's moly grease) oozes out and mixes with the motor oil. I don't think there's any benefit to having the moly grease mixed with your motor oil. I don't know how long it takes for the grease leaches out fully. I think it's a good idea to change the break-in oil at 1,000 to 3,500 miles.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I sent out my factory fill. Seems like wear is low and the oil held it's viscosity well.

--Matt

Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Thumbs up Nice!!!

Originally Posted by mattkosem
I sent out my factory fill. Seems like wear is low and the oil held it's viscosity well.
--Matt
Awesome!!! Thanks for posting. Really appreciate the forum members

Old 03-31-2017, 06:09 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Certainly appears that the factory fill can last the full 9-10K that the car suggests with that TBN. I will likely run mine all the way out till the car tells me its time and hopefully I can get a sample from the drain to see what Blackstone has to say when the time comes.

Thanx everyone for sharing your analysis info!

Quick Reply: JCW OEM Factory Oil Analysis 2016 JCW