JCW Why SOOoooo Expensive JCW aftermarket steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why SOOoooo Expensive JCW aftermarket steering wheel

I love this

It costs a sweet fortune, I kid you not. I am not prepared to get a zipper job in some third world country to donate a kidney for the cash it costs to purchase it.

But Dayumn, it's tempting. For those who do, I hear the staff infection goes away in a week or two once the 103 Fever drops and the halucinations stop.

Last edited by LormaD; 04-20-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I've always like the looks of those too. But, like you, can't bring myself to drop that much cash on a steering wheel.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
So - where do you find such a thing?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:06 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I saw them on eBay. $2100.....They have them made offshore. I inquired about an all leather one and they weren't interested in making one.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I think it looks great - but, could never justify spending that much money to replace the standard wheel.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Looked it up on Ebay and went to their Facebook page - really looks like great quality work. Wished I never saw this post. Sort of mildly considering this now based on their high-resolution pictures.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Its the single best mod I have done to my car. You use it overtime you drive the car. The feel is so much better than even the Sport steering wheel. I liked it so much I bought a second one for my "weekend car".
Some will send that much on an aftermarket exhaust to sound better, my choice was do spend the money on the steering wheel and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Name:  DSC04333.jpg
Views: 4267
Size:  366.4 KB

Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
It's a BTO, hand made product. $2100 isn't that bad for it when you consider it. Not that I would pay that much, ever, but there is the craftsmanship angle.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 AM
vetsvette
Initial cost is more like $2500 with the core deposit. Of course you get a $439 refund when you send your wheel in. And, you have to buy all the other carbon trim separately (per the eBay listing). Yep, I'm sticking with my JCW wheel.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Initial cost is more like $2500 with the core deposit. Of course you get a $439 refund when you send your wheel in. And, you have to buy all the other carbon trim separately (per the eBay listing). Yep, I'm sticking with my JCW wheel.
The stock JCW wheel is absolutely fine! I prefer the leather and also a "round" steering wheel....it's not a formula one car after all! Leather is also the better of the two imo....I'd tire of the CF quickly. I'd take an alcantra wheel before CF. That kind of money is better spent elsewhere on mods!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:57 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Giddy UP!

Originally Posted by 02fanatic
The stock JCW wheel is absolutely fine! I prefer the leather and also a "round" steering wheel....it's not a formula one car after all! Leather is also the better of the two imo....I'd tire of the CF quickly. I'd take an alcantra wheel before CF. That kind of money is better spent elsewhere on mods!
For the times I do track my car, I DO feel like a F1 driver... wooooooooooo hoooooooo....

In all seriousness, the price in my opinion, is not justified by the exclusiveness, nor the craftsmanship. The company has a choice of selling a lot of steering wheels at a fair price. They chose to sell a few steering wheels by over charging those who really, really want one.

I think the company making the steering wheel, cut a corner by offering an inferior leather steering wheel, with respect to the OEM JCW steering wheel. I like the touch of the JCW steering wheel, it does the job perfectly.

Perhaps, they do not have the manpower, or the resources to produce a run of steering wheels. And as such, the one or two that they make per quarter, is offered at an exhorbitant price.

I would NEVER trade in a factory JCW item or part, like the JCW steering wheel, to have it hacked for the sheer reason that it's core value far outweigh the replacement steering wheel. If they wanted a core, as trade in, I would get a MCS steering wheel, or not bother sending one in on purchase.

Cheers,

Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
That is pretty cool. But considering I could get a whole custom sound system for less I think I'll stick with my stock JCW wheel that you very much!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:24 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
in order to help keep the costs down what I did was I bought the steering wheel without the carbon sections on the wheel spokes. Actually my wheel was made before he offered the parts for the wheels spokes. While the spokes are gorgeous I decide just to buy the covers from Carbon Mini rather than from the wheel manufacturer and saved a few hundred bucks.

I also bartered with a Mini after market company and we traded OEM parts, I sent him a bunch of take off parts from my car and they sent me a standard F56 steering wheel, which I returned as my core. So I still have my OEM JCW Sport Steering wheel in my basement.

Yes it's expensive but I love mine and I figure MINI is at the bottom end of the wheels they make. They made a wheel for the Aston Martin model that had something like 20 models made! So a $40,000 MINI is nothing compared to a quarter million dollar car!

Old 04-28-2017, 05:02 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Thumbs up I like it, either way...

Hey, not trying to dump on your steering, by no means.

I find it simply gorgeous. I was just taken a back by the asking price, which then made me think of the reasons why.

I think it is something that is very organic, and beyond just ergonomic. It is a very real connection, a lot like a sound system, only it's hands on (sorry, couldn't resist).

Cheers,

Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Had one done by same builder I think, but no CF. I think the CF definitely adds "richness" to the look of the wheel, and agree huge $$. It would be my modding budget for a whole year or two....

But having had three wheels on my MINI. The original two spoke and two JCW wheels, one re-wrapped with red stitch, I do really love the one they made for me here...Super quality and IMO worth more than what I paid.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:00 PM
vetsvette
I like the leather better than the CF.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:21 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
The wheel in OP's post looks like the one I've seen on eBay from Nexon Motors. I contacted them about 1.5 years ago and we were able to work out a deal for a custom leather and Alcantara wheel. It was expensive, although cheaper than the CF version they typically make. They asked me not to disclose the price as they would not be willing to match that price for anyone else going forward; all I can say is that it was upwards of $1K. That said, I think it was worth every penny and I absolutely love the wheel. Craftsmanship is top notch and it has been a pleasure to handle it every day over the past year or so that it's been installed.

Here's a pic:

Old 04-30-2017, 03:43 PM
vetsvette
Sweet!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Thumbs up DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN Sweet!!!

That is cool... wow...

Old 05-01-2017, 03:33 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd be worried about boogering up the Alcantara with stuff/oil from my hands. My seats are Alcantara but that's different.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:20 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Man made material

Alcantara is a man made material, though it is mistaken to appear like suede or leather. It has the tactile feel, but is man made and hence has a very uniform and even feel / finish.

Unlike leather, it should be much more resistant to oils, yet I would still try to protect it. Products from CarPro or Gtechniq if memory serves correct, have cleaners and protectors.

Cheers

Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I'd be worried about boogering up the Alcantara with stuff/oil from my hands. My seats are Alcantara but that's different.

It cleans up very nicely, with a damp towel and some rubbing.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:57 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Oils from your hands will eventually change the feel of the Alcantara but there are cleaning products that help with that and restore the plush feeling of the nap. I've got Alcantara on my shift **** too (2nd gen JCW CF ****) and it's no big deal to clean them up from time to time. I think I have a cleaner from Sonax that does the trick.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:13 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shmandrew
Oils from your hands will eventually change the feel of the Alcantara but there are cleaning products that help with that and restore the plush feeling of the nap. I've got Alcantara on my shift **** too (2nd gen JCW CF ****) and it's no big deal to clean them up from time to time. I think I have a cleaner from Sonax that does the trick.
Did you have any issues installing the Gen 2 JCW Shift **** into your F56? I had the same shift **** in my R56 JCW and loved it. Would like to install one in my 2016 F56 JCW, but all the parts sites say it won't fit.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2017, 09:35 AM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Did you have any issues installing the Gen 2 JCW Shift **** into your F56? I had the same shift **** in my R56 JCW and loved it. Would like to install one in my 2016 F56 JCW, but all the parts sites say it won't fit.

Thanks
No problems at all with installing the ****. It was very straightforward and I've had no issues with fitment. If you search around the forum you'll find some threads discussing shift ***** for the F56 and I have a picture and some more replies in there that may be helpful. I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't really dig up the thread so easily.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions on it, I'm happy to help