JCW K&N vs. AWE Tuning Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:27 AM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
K&N vs. AWE Tuning Filter

I've installed the JB4, Cat Delete/Downpipe. I figured the next low hanging fruit is pick up a couple of HP from an airbox. It seems K&N and AWE give similar numbers for the HP increase. Besides the fact that AWE looks much better does anyone have any good/bad experience with either.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 AM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
I made the plung and purchased the K&N. The price on Amazon dropped one night when I checked and I got for $179 so I couldn't pass up. It took about 25 minutes to install. I'm not necessary thrilled with how tight everything mates up. I.e. there are some gaps etc. where the engine heat etc. can still get through to the air box. Overall I'm happy. If K&N's numbers are correct I've picked up a little HP and Torque.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:10 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Don't forget, K&N dyno numbers are with bonnet open. Hard to prevent density-robbing hot air ingestion otherwise.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Yeah. I noticed that in there literature. Most the power I enjoy from the car is at highways speeds. I figured at speed there is a fair amount of air forced through there. I'll put a wireless temp sensor in air box and see what it is at highway speeds.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:05 AM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
I got a cheaper $9 outdoor indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer from Amazon. I duct tapped to tube from inlet etc. When I get in the car it will show temp under hood when in the sun at being 130+ degrees. It's 81 today. On just in-town driving the temp doesn't read instantaneously, i.e. gives readings every 5 minutes. The temp the block of plastic that gives the reading drops about 10 degrees every 5 minutes to hang around 12-15 degrees above what is says temp inside the car is on the same cheap gauge. I'll be driving on highway tomorrow and can give a better idea at prolonged highway speeds how it performs.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:12 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by theblackfalcon
I got a cheaper $9 outdoor indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer from Amazon. I duct tapped to tube from inlet etc. When I get in the car it will show temp under hood when in the sun at being 130+ degrees. It's 81 today. On just in-town driving the temp doesn't read instantaneously, i.e. gives readings every 5 minutes. The temp the block of plastic that gives the reading drops about 10 degrees every 5 minutes to hang around 12-15 degrees above what is says temp inside the car is on the same cheap gauge. I'll be driving on highway tomorrow and can give a better idea at prolonged highway speeds how it performs.
If you like the way it sounds or if you like the way it looks or if you like the way you think it "feels," or any combination of these, then enjoy your purchase.

Other than questionable dyno data, for newest BMW/MINI, it is challenging to find hard proof that intakes make meaningful improvements as far as speed, fuel economy, acceleration, useful torque, etc.

On older gen cars, intakes did/do make a noticeable difference in various performance areas. But in newest cars, not so much, EXCEPT that, in combination with other integrated performance mods, intakes can sometimes help with the overall performance matrix.

One thing for sure, cold air is better than hot air.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:04 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've used both drop in filter types, ended up going away from the factory box simply because it's quiet but didn't notice a difference in throttle feel with either. Running a "home made" intake now and the pedal feels great, can't say if it's a significant increase in response but it feels better than before at WOT. IAT is right at ambient under normal driving conditions with the current setup whereas with the factory air box it was consistently 5-7° above ambient under the same conditions.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qik420
I've used both drop in filter types, ended up going away from the factory box simply because it's quiet but didn't notice a difference in throttle feel with either. Running a "home made" intake now and the pedal feels great, can't say if it's a significant increase in response but it feels better than before at WOT. IAT is right at ambient under normal driving conditions with the current setup whereas with the factory air box it was consistently 5-7° above ambient under the same conditions.
Wrong section - this is 3rd gen F56

Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by toyopet
Wrong section - this is 3rd gen F56

Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
After I took my thermostat off the line that connected to my coolant reservoir the temp difference at highways speeds is 3 degrees difference at most. Idling and stop and go in the heat can vary to as much as 40 degrees.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:34 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by theblackfalcon
After I took my thermostat off the line that connected to my coolant reservoir the temp difference at highways speeds is 3 degrees difference at most. Idling and stop and go in the heat can vary to as much as 40 degrees.
Excellent research. The important temp is ambient air temp at the cold air intake point and, of course, if the intake air after turbo compression can't cool down before the engine ingests it.

The idea is to get max air density ENTERING the system at the air box.

A few degrees increase in ambient intake air temp probably won't really matter. 40 degrees F might. 100 degrees will for sure. And under hood temps can get up there with cats and heat sinking from a warm block, etc, etc.