JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Anyone add a power module to their N-18?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone add a power module to their N-18?

A lot of F56 JCW owners rave about adding either an NM or Dinam power module under the hood. I haven't seen hardly any R56 owners claim the same, maybe 1 or 2. I think Burgertune or something makes one too. I'm told that Dinam does not. They cost $300-400 and add like 20-30 BHP. I'm kind of interested. Any comments about these easily installed boosters? I'm not talking about a tune, just the clip on power module. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
There are loads of posts on the N18 with JB+ from Berger.

It works. I sold mine and gave that car to my son, he doesn't need the extra zip.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
There are loads of posts on the N18 with JB+ from Berger.

It works. I sold mine and gave that car to my son, he doesn't need the extra zip.
Yeah I've seen lots on the MCS forum, just not on the JCW forum. I was wondering how much it helps that car. I think my JCW is pretty fast as it is, esp. compared to my 2007 MCS.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah I've seen lots on the MCS forum, just not on the JCW forum. I was wondering how much it helps that car. I think my JCW is pretty fast as it is, esp. compared to my 2007 MCS.
Sorry, but you ask the same question every 2 months.

Buy a Burger Tune for your N18. You don't seem to be a believer for as long as you post here. Spend the $300.00 and you will see.

If you are not happy or afraid of the performance improvement, just remove it. As far as I am concerned, this is a major one for the JCW engine.

Not sure for just the base S spec engine.

This is simple and you don't need to be a tech to do it.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Sorry you won't get 20-30hp out of a plug in module, or even close to that. We've played with them and never really been satisfied with the gains, especially since we can do a real tune and gain huge power. So my suggestion would be use the $300 toward a real ECU tune as that will actually gain you boost and real power. Also you will gain throttle response you will notice.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

There's a reason you always see the plug in modules for sale used, ask those owners how the two really compare as they usually get a tune and ditch the plug in.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Sorry you won't get 20-30hp out of a plug in module, or even close to that. We've played with them and never really been satisfied with the gains, especially since we can do a real tune and gain huge power. So my suggestion would be use the $300 toward a real ECU tune as that will actually gain you boost and real power. Also you will gain throttle response you will notice.

There's a reason you always see the plug in modules for sale used, ask those owners how the two really compare as they usually get a tune and ditch the plug in.
Thanks, that's sort of what I wondered about. How a $300 clip on device could make a huge performance difference. So this tune is obviously over and above the JCW tune that goes with the bigger turbocharger right?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE

But I don't have the MCS and this tune says it's for the S not the JCW that I have. Will it still work for my car?

Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
A JCW is an MCS so the tuning still works, the files are different as they will be based on the programming numbers in the ECU.
With a JCW you will actually net more power with the ECU tune

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-01-2016, 03:27 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
A JCW is an MCS so the tuning still works, the files are different as they will be based on the programming numbers in the ECU.
Thanks, so how much does an ECU tune set you back? And who can do that, it's not anything like clipping on the JB+ I'm sure.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 PM
dube53
6th Gear
I would not like you playing and mess with my ECU and it would cost far more to have it fixed under Mini warranty.

Burger is the safe way to go and cheaper before major upgrades.

By the way, the JCW engine is not the same as the S. Review your data.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:09 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Thanks, so how much does an ECU tune set you back? And who can do that, it's not anything like clipping on the JB+ I'm sure.
We do them all the time and it starts at $400

Originally Posted by dube53
I would not like you playing and mess with my ECU and it would cost far more to have it fixed under Mini warranty.

Burger is the safe way to go and cheaper before major upgrades.

By the way, the JCW engine is not the same as the S. Review your data.
We don't just play with the ECU. We change fuel, timing, boost, torque maps, along with several other maps to build a proper tune based on the mods you have and experience for the many cars we have tuned.

A Plug in module is actually less safe than a proper tune. Reason being that it is a module that plugs into a sensor then gives the ECU a false signal to keep making boost. When you do this you are actually moving more air than the ECU thinks it is. So the ECU is then using a table for fuel and timing based on less airflow than you actually have. Using a real tune we can change the set points and adjust the tables to have the proper fuel and timing relative to the boost and airflow we will now program it to have.

I never said a JCW and MCS have the same engine. I was saying a JCW can be tuned just like an MCS, but they require different files based on ecu#. Because in the previous post TheBigNewt said he didn't have an MCS, he had a JCW. All the JCWs are Cooper S, they are just a Cooper S JCW if we want to be specific. And depending on the year of the JCW will depend how different it is. The 07-09 N14 JCW has the exact same engine as a standard Cooper S. In 09 they started to build factory JCW cars which the engine was different along with a ton of other parts like turbo, injectors, pistons, and so on.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:35 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the information. I had a rear ASB installed by WMW at the AMVIV Las Vegas gathering in 2008. I think that event is still happening in the spring. Any chance you'll be there next year?
Dube, you might be "a bit too far out over your skis" here lol.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Thanks for the information. I had a rear ASB installed by WMW at the AMVIV Las Vegas gathering in 2008. I think that event is still happening in the spring. Any chance you'll be there next year?
Dube, you might be "a bit too far out over your skis" here lol.
No...... I simply go for less trouble in the long run, believe me.

I don't drive on a racetrack and see no need to buy a new and/or reprogrammed ECU when there is an easier way to improve performance for less.

The JB+ works fine for me and for many other satisfied owners.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dube53
No...... I simply go for less trouble in the long run, believe me.

I don't drive on a racetrack and see no need to buy a new and/or reprogrammed ECU when there is an easier way to improve performance for less.

The JB+ works fine for me and for many other satisfied owners.
Yeah I'm sure it's a lot better than stock. I am still considering getting one. I'm not even sure how I'd get the ECU reprogramming done in Arizona.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:16 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
MarioKart is a Manic tuner in LA area, very active on this site. I contemplated manic tune a while back and he says his out of state customers ship him their ECU, he tunes it the same day it arrives and sends it back overnight shipping. Minimum turnaround is probably 2-3 days, Arizona is fairly close. There are other manic dealers around the US too: http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233

Looks like there's one in Phoenix if you're in that area.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 3lusive
MarioKart is a Manic tuner in LA area, very active on this site. I contemplated manic tune a while back and he says his out of state customers ship him their ECU, he tunes it the same day it arrives and sends it back overnight shipping. Minimum turnaround is probably 2-3 days, Arizona is fairly close. There are other manic dealers around the US too: http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233

Looks like there's one in Phoenix if you're in that area.
Hey thanks a lot! Do you have yours tuned? (I don't see it in your sig. There's one in Tempe I may have to look into it. Says you can turn it on and off like it's not even there if you want.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 12-05-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Nope, I was planning on going Stg 2 with my 08 but then plans changed, I sold it, and the new JCW is still under warranty for another year. So far I like the JCW with stock power, and I have the pops/burbles already which was one reason I wanted the Manic tune for the 08

Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
Nope, I was planning on going Stg 2 with my 08 but then plans changed, I sold it, and the new JCW is still under warranty for another year. So far I like the JCW with stock power, and I have the pops/burbles already which was one reason I wanted the Manic tune for the 08
The later Gen2 JCW engine has already a remap from the factory adding 27HP from the upgraded internal components as head, pistons, rods, turbo from the base S engine.

There is no reason to mess up to reprogram again the ECU from a tuner unless not being anymore on the warranty and/or going to the racetrack every week.

I am partial to the JB+ because my MPG is better on Sport mode. Maybe it is related to better overall air quality from where I live.

Last edited by dube53; 12-05-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^jesus