JCW JCW F56 2DR HB - NO fog / driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
JCW F56 2DR HB - NO fog / driving lights?

I have the LED headlight option on my F56 JCW 2DR HB, and on the headlight switch there is a fog light / driving light (whatever you wish to call it) button (right next to the headlight switch, on the left side).

I am not guessing, but I am assuming the button switch is pointless on the JCW F56 vehicles, right?

It works, the instrument cluster shows it's on, but no additional lighting.

Cheers,

Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
It's for the rear fog lights.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Cool What, No Way!!!

Going to check RIGHT NoW!!!!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:14 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
Going to check RIGHT NoW!!!!
There is no fog lights on the Gen 3 JCW and It is a big turn off for me. This simply doesn't make sense and the reason I would never buy another Mini.

I always used them for night driving since the last 40 years I have a driver's license.

There is no excuse because the JCW is a $7K option over the S model.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:02 AM
jrosa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone installed the Mini Driving Led Lights in the JCW?

The JCW does not have the fog lights and it would be great to add these driving lights that let the car much more beautiful.

JCW F56 2DR HB - NO fog / driving lights?-photo913.jpg

If someone has it, where is the on/off button installed?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Thumbs down Eeek!

Originally Posted by jrosa

The JCW does not have the fog lights and it would be great to add these driving lights that let the car much more beautiful.

Attachment 129380

OOf, to each his own I guess, but that would NOT work for me... Though I do like some way of adding additional lighting, I none the less find the HID LED or what ever you wish to call it, performs extremely well.

And by the way, thanks MoBoost... yep, it works (rear fog lights).

Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jrosa

Attachment 129380

I have them. Right hand side of the steering column. There is a button once installed to turn off or on, but only when the high beams are on. They are not independent of the main car lighting.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
jrosa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy
I have them. Right hand side of the steering column. There is a button once installed to turn off or on, but only when the high beams are on. They are not independent of the main car lighting.
To have it working only with the high beams on sucks a very lot!

The ideal would be to have them working independently or in a worst case scenario, with the lights on, but never related to the high beams on only.

I also did not like the position of the on/off button. It would be better to have it in the left hand side, where you have an empty place (used for front fog lights on Cooper S) or in the center console, on the same switch line of the engine start/stop switch, as the first switch from left to right (I've never seen a Mini with a switch in this place).

Do you know if it is possible to hack this and have these lights working independently and I believe that installing the on/of button in a different spot is a fairly easy task. Do you agree on that?

Old 10-02-2016, 07:11 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Just took delivery of a 2017 JCW and although it only has the rear for light (option) and there is an indicated button to the left of the headlight switch, there is also a blank-dead button above it which is probably for the driving lights on non-jcw minis...

Had the same type of dead-button on my 2016 BMW M3 and making it a live button was simple by just removing button and trimming the tab on back side, in this case it was to make the rear fogs lights active and the indicator would light up on the dash.

Now if the mini has the driving light wiring harness stubbed out behind the grille, one could simply install some driving lights and then activate that button, might have to update software too, like the M3...but it should work...in theory...if there is wiring harness to tap into or use oem lights if they will mount properly.

Keep in mind however that the JCW needs the airflow which is why there are no driving lights up front, just like the M3...so I would not suggest blocking those vents.

I also have the LED off-road rally lights on the bumper, the reason Mini only allows them to work in conjunction with the high beams is because they are meant to be off-road...my 2007 mini had the same set-up/criteria.

The installer told me they can be wired differently however to work with low beams.

Attached Thumbnails JCW F56 2DR HB - NO fog / driving lights?-img_1540-20160929-182838312.jpg  
Old 10-02-2016, 07:41 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
LOP, nice write-up & great looking JCW! I opted for the driving/rally lights on my JCW because I wanted fogs & since I couldn't have them on the JCW I figured I'd give them a try, although an expensive option!

In reality, with the outstanding LED headlights on the JCW no additional lighting is needed. But, & I disagree the running lights are for off road use only btw, when they are engaged by the button on the steering column they definitely add a better light spread when driving on dark night back roads or any road. You just need to dim lights like any other time for oncoming traffic....that's why they are only functional with the high beams. They are totally road legal afaik! ;-)

Personally, I love mine...it's a MINI thing! :-). The whiners who just have to have fog lights need to simply buy a non-JCW. Oh, and adding the driving lights to an F56 MINI that has fog lights just looks like a bit "too much" imo!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Personally, I love mine...it's a MINI thing! :-). The whiners who just have to have fog lights need to simply buy a non-JCW. Oh, and adding the driving lights to an F56 MINI that has fog lights just looks like a bit "too much" imo!
I pretty much agree with you on this. I had the driving lights on my '07 MCS and liked them a lot. Mainly for the esthetic value. The halogen driving lights didn't lend much improvement over the Xenon headlights other than to fill in the pattern somewhat. On my F56 with LED headlights I think the driving lights would be a superfluous addition. I do like the way the fog lights fill in the pattern close in and to the sides of the car though. The only change to lighting I plan is to have the fogs coded to work with the high beams also. The driving lights do look great on a MINI, but not good enough to justify the cost. Only reason I had them on my '07 was because it was optioned that way from the get go.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:56 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Lots of info here, the LED are super bright when i saw them. Note: thats if you have the LED headlight you will need that extra module and yes the rocker switch is in a weird location on the side of the steering column , not really where you would think it would be like the in the toggle bank section.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tructions.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-08-2016, 08:14 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
LOP, nice write-up & great looking JCW! I opted for the driving/rally lights on my JCW because I wanted fogs & since I couldn't have them on the JCW I figured I'd give them a try, although an expensive option!

In reality, with the outstanding LED headlights on the JCW no additional lighting is needed. But, & I disagree the running lights are for off road use only btw, when they are engaged by the button on the steering column they definitely add a better light spread when driving on dark night back roads or any road. You just need to dim lights like any other time for oncoming traffic....that's why they are only functional with the high beams. They are totally road legal afaik! ;-)

I agree that the term "off-road" is used incorrectly, perhaps translation error...and what is truly meant is that they are meant to work with high beams only, otherwise running them on with low beams would just blind oncoming traffic.

I have begun digging around for a slimline driving light option in case anyone wanted to tackle the retrofit as previously discussed and there are plenty of options out there although I still would not recommend blocking the airflow just for the driving light option.

FWIW, the LED headlights put out an incredible amount of light compared to the HID's on the 2007 (and they were great as well). glad I opted for the upgrade and really like the cornering light function.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:02 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LOP
I agree that the term "off-road" is used incorrectly, perhaps translation error...and what is truly meant is that they are meant to work with high beams only, otherwise running them on with low beams would just blind oncoming traffic.....
Understood!

One other thing about the LED's...my mechanic noticed the size of the heat sinks on the back of the LED assemblies...HUGE! Obviously, the LED's generate a lot of heat when they are on.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:21 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Understood!

One other thing about the LED's...my mechanic noticed the size of the heat sinks on the back of the LED assemblies...HUGE! Obviously, the LED's generate a lot of heat when they are on.
Are you speaking of the LED headlights? I ask because the LED rally lights do not have external heat sinks, the housings of the LED and halogen rally lights are identical.

I will have to pop the bonnet when the Mrs. gets home to check out the heat sinks on the headlights, I will have a look at the taillights too.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LOP
Are you speaking of the LED headlights? I ask because the LED rally lights do not have external heat sinks, the housings of the LED and halogen rally lights are identical.

I will have to pop the bonnet when the Mrs. gets home to check out the heat sinks on the headlights, I will have a look at the taillights too.
Yes, I was speaking of the headlight assemblies. Take a look at the heat sinks! You probably can't see the taillight heat sinks without removing the panel cover & they are likely lower wattage anyway (don't generate as much heat).

Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Honikan
Neutral
Did anyone figure out how to make the LED rally lights operate separate from the high beams? I just installed mine and can't seem to find the right wire or switch or what-not.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
As I recall the reason the JCW can't have the front fogs is because it uses their space for brake cooling. Funny, I have front fogs and have turned them on about twice. Mine won't turn on if the brights are on either.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Under the smooth black section of the bumper there are two solid plastic pieces on the left and right that are roughly 8" long and about 2.5" high. I've considered removing that portion of the air dame and mounting something similar to this at this location.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industr...0JHVDGR5555TJK

You can hard wire it into a relay controlled by the existing fog lights or tie into your brights.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Honikan
Did anyone figure out how to make the LED rally lights operate separate from the high beams? I just installed mine and can't seem to find the right wire or switch or what-not.
Did the installation instructions have a wiring diagram? Post it here.

BTW, I hope you wouldn't operate them separately except where you could use high beams. Driving lights have no cutoff and would be blinding to other drivers.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Application Guide

Here's an application guide that may help.

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...lication_Guide

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:22 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Need some help. I just got a 2016 JCW and it has two red-lens lights on the rear bumper, but I can't figure out how to activate them. I am presuming they are rear fog lights, but the two buttons to the left of the light switch are plugs, not buttons.

Understand the top (front fog light) button is irrelevant, but the bottom button is also just a plug.

Am I looking in the wrong place for the switch?

Old 12-17-2016, 06:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Need some help. I just got a 2016 JCW and it has two red-lens lights on the rear bumper, but I can't figure out how to activate them. I am presuming they are rear fog lights, but the two buttons to the left of the light switch are plugs, not buttons.

Understand the top (front fog light) button is irrelevant, but the bottom button is also just a plug.

Am I looking in the wrong place for the switch?
Does your car have the rear fog option on the build sheet? If not, there will be no switch for it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-be-there.html

Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Man! Who woulda thunk? Installed, but not enabled. Guess that's a hidden cost. I live in a place frequently foggy, so guess I shall have it done. Good to know the dealer can do this.

Appreciate the info, RKW. Thanks.
R

Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
The wiring, bulbs and everything are there. All you need is a new switch with the rear fog button and someone to code the RFL option for you. No wiring involved, just plug in the new switch and code it.

Quick Reply: JCW JCW F56 2DR HB - NO fog / driving lights?